FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Connecting through CDG: looking for first timers practical advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1329732-connecting-through-cdg-looking-first-timers-practical-advice.html)

SporkLover May 8, 2012 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by MarLim (Post 18414259)
Don't expect a lot, it's a quite boring walk!

When you arrive in 2D, you have to get out of the secure zone as anybody else with final destination CDG and you'll find yourself landside. Turn left towards terminals 2EF (signs are quite good, don't worry). You get to the TGV train station / Sheraton hotel, there you cross over to the other walking way (if you'd continue straight ahead you get to terminal 2F) and continue to 2E. In the middle of 2E, where the escalator comes up from arrivals level and from terminal 2F, you turn right and find yourself in front of the immigration booths. Head to the left end of the booths, where you find the priority line. Be sure you know your departure gate for ATL as after immigration check, you either head straight on for main gates or you take the automated shuttle for satellite gates.

Be also aware, that AF from PRG could arrive in terminal 2F, there is no absolute certainty that they will spit you out in 2D. In that case, the walk would be even shorter.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I made this connection earlier today and CDG certainly didn't live up to its bad reputation. I wasn't sure how to exit the secure area in 2D, but once I figured it out finding 2F was easy and the signage was great.

Thanks to marlim; I printed your directions and they were spot on!

dilbertsdaddy May 8, 2012 5:29 pm

Nevermind, just noticed you made it. We should all be so lucky. Have you bought a lottery ticket lately?

edgewood49 May 8, 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 18538552)
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I made this connection earlier today and CDG certainly didn't live up to its bad reputation. I wasn't sure how to exit the secure area in 2D, but once I figured it out finding 2F was easy and the signage was great.

as we did three weeks ago, can be a pain if too many international flights get in at the same time !

youngdlplat May 8, 2012 10:14 pm

Quick Question. I'm also transferring through CDG for the first time in several years. In the Air France 2E Departure lounge, I gather they offer spa treatments and massages? Are these included with admission?

DL2SXM May 8, 2012 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 18538552)

I think the odds of getting struck by lightning as opposed to having a seamless connection experience at CDG are pretty much equal. OP, I'd not walk outside during a thunderstorm! :D

Congrats. your one of the few, the proud, who has experienced what you have.

mtkeller May 8, 2012 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu (Post 18540073)
I think the odds of getting struck by lightning as opposed to having a seamless connection experience at CDG are pretty much equal. OP, I'd not walk outside during a thunderstorm! :D

Congrats. your one of the few, the proud, who has experienced what you have.

Seamless is possible if doing 2E-2E. (I have the benefit of living in a non-Schengen country, I guess.) I flew LHR-CDG and had a 65-minute connection to CDG-ORD last week. Got off my flight quickly (seated in 2D), headed straight to the Acces No 1 security line, zipped through, and then walked right on over to where the ORD flight was just starting to board. Didn't get a chance to hit the mediocre lounges, but no big deal. Have two hours at CDG 2E on Thursday, so hopefully I can grab a shower between flying LAX-CDG and continuing CDG-LHR.

That said, I still really dislike CDG if you have to transfer between terminals. The signage is not always intuitive (arrows pointing straight down to indicate "walk straight ahead" always have me wondering if they actually mean "turn around, you dope"), and sometimes you feel certain you're in the wrong location to be transferring between flights. Oh, yeah, and at least one Schengen terminal has a landside lounge :td::td:

DL2SXM May 9, 2012 6:17 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller (Post 18540330)
Seamless is possible if doing 2E-2E. (I have the benefit of living in a non-Schengen country, I guess.) I flew LHR-CDG and had a 65-minute connection to CDG-ORD last week. Got off my flight quickly (seated in 2D), headed straight to the Acces No 1 security line, zipped through, and then walked right on over to where the ORD flight was just starting to board. Didn't get a chance to hit the mediocre lounges, but no big deal. Have two hours at CDG 2E on Thursday, so hopefully I can grab a shower between flying LAX-CDG and continuing CDG-LHR.

That said, I still really dislike CDG if you have to transfer between terminals. The signage is not always intuitive (arrows pointing straight down to indicate "walk straight ahead" always have me wondering if they actually mean "turn around, you dope"), and sometimes you feel certain you're in the wrong location to be transferring between flights. Oh, yeah, and at least one Schengen terminal has a landside lounge :td::td:

lucky you. I have never experienced the pleasures of connecting in the same terminal at CDG. I always seem to take the long way..

mtdlflyer May 9, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks for the informative Thread. I'm flying BNA - ATL - CDG - MUC in 2 weeks. Delta Metal from BNA to ATL the rest on AF. 2 hours connection time in CDG which seems doable with all I've read, however, we'll be going from terminal 2D to 2E, so am not sure. Also, I am SkyTeam Elite, not Elite + (I assume being DL FO), so will I have access to any of the faster lines? I'm flying with my Mother who is not Elite, so even if I did have access, not sure if they would let her though. Finally, if I somehow get upgraded from BNA - ATL (unlikely on that flight), would my SkyPriority Status follow me all the way to MUC on AF?

SporkLover May 9, 2012 1:24 pm

I forgot.... My luck may have been due to the fact that it was a holiday 8 May, victory Day).

DaddyRabbit May 9, 2012 2:20 pm

CDG, Especially 2E

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 18286648)
Well the long and short of it is that in May I am on a PRG-CDG-ATL itinerary, and my connection time in CDG is 1h35m. My PRG-CDG is a DL code share on AF iron. It arrives at Terminal 2d and my CDG-ATL flight departs 2E.

I was told that a domestic EU flight shouldn't have probs with that connection time, but a fellow traveler told me on my last trip (FRA-ATL) that CDG is a zoo and I should expect problems with that connection time and that of course has me a little worried.

So I am looking for practical advice as to the best way to navigate the airport to best ensure I connect. I am SkyTeam Elite+ and I've heard there is an express security/customs line, but that's about as much that I could dig up for transiting CDG quickly.

Thanks for anything you can offer..... I've delved I to the CDG threads, but they are so long that it's challenging to weed out the nuggets of useful inforI likemation from the "CDG is a toilet" and "CDG is not that bad" comments.

I am fine with CDG; I especially like the lounge with showers in this terminal. However, for me, 1.5 hours is a lttiel close ONLY because when CDG is busy aircraft often do remote parking. So, one walks down steps on to a bus when then goes to a terminal where one goes through security. When I did this last month there were only two people in front of me--it was 5 a.m.--and it took 25 minutes. The French are quite thorough at these checks.

So, you will probably be fine, but it might be a close connection if you do remote parking and security is slow.