FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Connecting through CDG: looking for first timers practical advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1329732-connecting-through-cdg-looking-first-timers-practical-advice.html)

SporkLover Mar 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Connecting through CDG: looking for first timers practical advice

Well the long and short of it is that in May I am on a PRG-CDG-ATL itinerary, and my connection time in CDG is 1h35m. My PRG-CDG is a DL code share on AF iron. It arrives at Terminal 2d and my CDG-ATL flight departs 2E.

I was told that a domestic EU flight shouldn't have probs with that connection time, but a fellow traveler told me on my last trip (FRA-ATL) that CDG is a zoo and I should expect problems with that connection time and that of course has me a little worried.

So I am looking for practical advice as to the best way to navigate the airport to best ensure I connect. I am SkyTeam Elite+ and I've heard there is an express security/customs line, but that's about as much that I could dig up for transiting CDG quickly.

Thanks for anything you can offer..... I've delved I to the CDG threads, but they are so long that it's challenging to weed out the nuggets of useful information from the "CDG is a toilet" and "CDG is not that bad" comments.

MSPeconomist Mar 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 18286648)
Well the long and short of it is that in May I am on a PRG-CDG-ATL itinerary, and my connection time in CDG is 1h35m. My PRG-CDG is a DL code share on AF iron. It arrives at Terminal 2d and my CDG-ATL flight departs 2E.

I was told that a domestic EU flight shouldn't have probs with that connection time, but a fellow traveler told me on my last trip (FRA-ATL) that CDG is a zoo and I should expect problems with that connection time and that of course has me a little worried.

So I am looking for practical advice as to the best way to navigate the
airport to best ensure I connect. I am SkyTeam Elite+ and I've heard
there is an express security/customs line, but that's about as much that I could dig up for transiting CDG quickly.

Thanks for anything you can offer..... I've delved I to the CDG threads, but they are so long that it's challenging to weed out the nuggets of useful information from the "CDG is a toilet" and "CDG is not that bad" comments.

AF iron? Unless you mean Aeroflot, the plane should be largely made
from aluminum or composite with smaller amounts of titanium, etc. I don't know when Western aircraft were made of iron.

Seriously, the better line should be labeled as "Access No. 1" and you will need either your physical DL FF card or a boarding pass where SkyTeam ElitePlus is printed to use the special line, ideally both to prove that you're entitled. The same applies to CDG lounge access if you have time after you get near your departure gate. If you need to check in or get a boarding pass at CDG, look for SkyTeam Elite Plus counters or "Affaires" (for business class) in the AF system. You cannot use the ground handling for AF FC, labeled probably as "Espace Premiere."

davetravels Mar 27, 2012 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18286672)
AF iron?

I think he means AF metal?

MSPeconomist Mar 27, 2012 10:37 pm

Obviously, I know, but it was fun to give the OP just a bit of a hard time here in a friendly joking way. I'm still giggling a bit as I try to imagine an iron airplane.

davetravels Mar 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18286749)
Obviously, I know, but it was fun to give the OP just a bit of a hard time here in a friendly joking way. I'm still giggling a bit as I try to imagine an iron airplane.

I figured that you knew, but we don't usually tease FT newbies with only 3 posts, do we? ;)

Whoops! 54 posts!! That was another thread I was chiming in on! :)

(It was funny to me, too!)

Anyway . . .

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 18286648)
I am on a PRG-CDG-ATL itinerary

Do you hafto go thru immigration/customs when flying PRG/CDG?

Regardless, if you're STE+, you will definitely be able to use the Acces No1 lanes everywhere you see then - - They're have a kind of burnt orange color signage.

95 minutes should be plenty at CDG, but, time can be eaten up very quickly by seemingly stupid things, like a shuttle bus driving all around the airport to get to the terminal, tram rides, etc. There was a bomb threat when I was there! Good Lord! It was a NUTHOUSE!

SporkLover Mar 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18286672)
AF iron? Unless you mean Aeroflot, the plane should be largely made
from aluminum or composite with smaller amounts of titanium, etc. I don't know when Western aircraft were made of iron.

Seriously, the better line should be labeled as "Access No. 1" and you will need either your physical DL FF card or a boarding pass where SkyTeam ElitePlus is printed to use the special line, ideally both to prove that you're entitled. The same applies to CDG lounge access if you have time after you get near your departure gate. If you need to check in or get a boarding pass at CDG, look for SkyTeam Elite Plus counters or "Affaires" (for business class) in the AF system. You cannot use the ground handling for AF FC, labeled probably as "Espace Premiere."

I can take the ribbing, but I meant what I said. Many of us in the military community refer to our aircraft as iron. I.E...The Kentucky Guard is a good choice for domestic disaster response because they have their own Crisis Response Group (aerial porters), search and rescue, and iron (c-130's). Different aviation community terminology :)

Thanks for the tips though.

SporkLover Mar 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 18286785)
I figured that you knew, but we don't usually tease FT newbies with only 3 posts, do we? ;)

Whoops! 54 posts!! That was another thread I was chiming in on! :)

(It was funny to me, too!)

Anyway . . .

Regardless, if you're STE+, you will definitely be able to use the Acces No1 lanes everywhere you see then - - They're have a kind of burnt orange color signage.

95 minutes should be plenty at CDG, but, time can be eaten up very quickly by seemingly stupid things, like a shuttle bus driving all around the airport to get to the terminal, tram rides, etc. There was a bomb threat when I was there! Good Lord! It was a NUTHOUSE!

I don't think I have to go through customs, as I'm coming from another EU country. Hopefully another person can answer definitively.

houflier Mar 27, 2012 11:45 pm

You will have to clear customs, and depending on the time there may be huge lines. However, there is a separate line for FF Medallion, that is speedier.

davetravels Mar 27, 2012 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by houflier (Post 18287007)
You will have to clear customs, and depending on the time there may be huge lines. However, there is a separate line for FF Medallion, that is speedier.

Are you sure? Arriving into Paris from Prague?

JOUY31 Mar 27, 2012 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 18286785)

- no customs check, as the flight is within the EU
- no immigration check, as the flight is intra-Schengen

You do need to clear immigration for the CDG-ATL segment.

davetravels Mar 28, 2012 12:05 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31 (Post 18287047)
- no customs check, as the flight is within the EU
- no immigration check, as the flight is intra-Schengen

That's what I thought. Germany I do a lot via CDG/AMS. Some countries confuse me! Euro/EC/Schengen totally confuses me! :)

Anyway, I didn't think so, because, I remember taking the train from Berlin to Prague 2 times. The first time, years ago, the immigration officers boarded the train in both countries in both directions - stamped passports - the whole shebang. More recently, but still a few years ago, you could see that the guard houses at the border crossing were abandoned, and the train zipped past.

MarLim Mar 28, 2012 2:24 am

transfer at CDG is easy, JOUY31 is correct

but be aware, that there is a size check for cabin baggage at PRG airport when passing through security; if I remember correctly, they only check 2 measures, no check of the length of your bag.

SDQBound Mar 28, 2012 2:52 am

Make your way to 2E as fast as you can. Lately, 2E immigration lines have been very long, including the premium one.

Renes Points Mar 28, 2012 2:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18286749)

Does this one count? Kinda a one man plane (his 1st cave suite was iron right?)
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...V1._SY317_.jpg

Policypeddler Mar 28, 2012 8:40 am

What's strange about an iron plane? I heard about a lead zeppelin once.