Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade on U JFK-DUB??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Upgrade on U JFK-DUB??

I am going JFK to Dub tommorow night on Delta 92 with a U ticket.
I have a lot of sky Pesos.
Can I use them for a upgrade in any way??
Is there a option to buy a discounted upgrade at the gate?
If so how much?
Thank you
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
On DL, you have to have a M, B, or Y fare to upgrade using miles if availability exists. It's 25k each way from these fares.

With a U fare, your only possibility for an ug would be an OpUp if Economy is oversold on your flight. Priority for an OpUp is usually based on status.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No, international upgrades are only available on M or higher fares. Delta does not sell discounted upgrades at the gate.

Your only option would be to 'buy up' to an M fare which probably cost a couple k, and then use miles assuming there is upgrade inventory available (which there is at this moment... Z2 on that flight). Or, buy up to the paid BE fare which would probably also cost a lot.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:58 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
DL 92 Tomorrow shows J4/Y6. If you want to secure a slightly better seat with more recline and free alcohol, call DL and get an EC seat.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:19 am

Alcohol isn't free anymore on international coach?

Here is Delta's Upgrade Award Chart
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Beer/Wine in complimentary normal Y, and good luck getting more than one during meal service. Free hard liquor etc is in EC.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:35 am
Original Poster

So I guess a EC seat is my only true option.
Is it worth the $80?
I lost my silver status this year, so I have no status right now.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
Beer/Wine in complimentary normal Y, and good luck getting more than one during meal service. Free hard liquor etc is in EC.
On AMS-DTW yesterday, they do two drinks. Start with a cocktail and there is usally one with the meal. JFK-SNN and JFK-DUB are shorter routes and eastbound shorter still but you still should get two drinks (as has been said free wine and beer). In Economy Plus I got my gin free. There was also an option of having a drink with the pre-landing snack.

One passenger asked and got another wine during the flight too.

I do DUB and SNN quite regularly as my grand children are Irish citizens. I think you will get two drinks and if you ask you should get another. Alcohol is not offered with breakfast on the overnights eastbound.

Paying to upgrade to EC which I did before I made PM, is worth it IMHO for the better seat etc, not for the booze.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
If you do some searching you'll find a lot of threads about EC. The most comprehensive and up to date is this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-seating.html

Last edited by CarmenOM; Mar 27, 2012 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:57 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by ellwell
I am going JFK to Dub tommorow night on Delta 92 with a U ticket.
I have a lot of sky Pesos.
Can I use them for a upgrade in any way??
Is there a option to buy a discounted upgrade at the gate?
As you now know, the answers are "no" and "no".

You should ask these questions before, not after you buy a ticket. @:-)
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Amex Centurion, Delta Reserve
Upgrade possible on JFK-DUB

I have flown this route several times and have been upgraded 3/4 times as a PM with L/U/T coach tix. Y was not oversold on any of the 4 flights, and I was simply put on a list as were the other medallions. They often treat this flight as a domestic/Caribbean leg...I say "often" because there can be gate agents who don't even look at upgrade list (that happened to me once in DUB and I was furious. DL compensated with 7500 SkyMiles as apology...big deal). Warning: gate agents in DUB are NOT DL gate agents and often don't understand DL's upgrade policies.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by usrleetch3
I have flown this route several times and have been upgraded 3/4 times as a PM with L/U/T coach tix. Y was not oversold on any of the 4 flights, and I was simply put on a list as were the other medallions. They often treat this flight as a domestic/Caribbean leg...I say "often" because there can be gate agents who don't even look at upgrade list (that happened to me once in DUB and I was furious. DL compensated with 7500 SkyMiles as apology...big deal). Warning: gate agents in DUB are NOT DL gate agents and often don't understand DL's upgrade policies.
UDU's for a TATL? Nevr heard of that one before and I have been here a looooong time.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by avidflyer
UDU's for a TATL? Nevr heard of that one before and I have been here a looooong time.
+1 - There is no "standard domestic" airport standby upgrade list for those flights... Unless the GAs were being proactive and going against DL policy then that news is somewhat mind boggling.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by usrleetch3
DUB=Dublin, Ireland
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I believe DL on oversold flights in Y to/from DUB, SNN, MAN and LHR has been selling kiosk upgrades for $250-400. I have never personally seen this offer but on a flight in January from MSP-LHR I was talking to the father of a family of 4 in BE who said that he purchased a $299 UG per person for his family from a cheap fare and they were from the UK and were returning YVR-MSP-LHR and got the offer for the MSP-LHR flight only at checkin on a kiosk. The flight was Y0 for a while and had about 18 BE seats showing open up until about 3 hrs before the flight when it started filling up in BE. I think someone posted about this on FT earlier this year too so it may be possible for the OP to upgrade with $$$ if J still has seats open and Y is oversold. Wouldn't count on it but there have been reports of this happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.