Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Deadheading Crew gets F Meal before F Cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deadheading Crew gets F Meal before F Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
I'll answer in your quote.

Originally Posted by roknroll
Something doesn't completely add up here. I don't know if we have all of the info. I'm not accusing the OP of making things up, but perhaps he didn't have all of the info either and filled in the blanks with assumptions. I have issues with that, because once you start adding in your own embellishments and/or assumptions, how are we supposed to know what is fact and what is assumed?

Here's my piece by piece breakdown and questions:
  1. Do you know for a fact that the two passengers were paying F passengers? You say they paid a couple of grand a pop per ticket, are you just assuming that, or do you know that?

After I returned from the lavatory I struck up a conversation with them as they were in front of me. They immediately brought up dinner conversation. I responded with my thoughts on how they should contact DL and what I thought of the situation. They stated they paid for F seats. They were two men traveling together on vacation. Both mentioned their purchase price of "over 2g's."
  2. You say the FA "snidely told the guys that there were no meals left". Did the FA seriously tell them that there were no more meals left meanly, with contempt, and no apologies?

It was a "I'm sorry guys, there's none left." with an apathetic tone. Followed by a visit from the snack basket.
  3. You say the passengers were "enraged", that's a pretty strong word. Were they really enraged or just disappointed/upset that they wouldn't get a meal.

To say they were very upset would be putting it mildly. I feel I chose the appropriate phrase.
  4. The crew that was sitting in the front row of Y: are you sure that the meals they were eating were F meals and not crew meals?

Identical to my meal in every way.
  5. Are you certain that the mistake was that two F meals were taken from passengers to give to the deadhead crew, and not that there weren't enough F meals loaded from catering?

How could I possibly be certain of that? I see two guys get the shaft and two in Y eating. That's all I had to go on. I didn't ask the FA because her attitude was just awful towards all.

Again, I'm not trying to say you are wrong. But there's a lot of assumptions or statements in they without much description or additional/supporting information to verify.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

I don't believe it was you. Unless your business partner is also your "partner."

Originally Posted by FlysToSEA
I fear that this is about me. I flew Seattle to Honolulu last Thursday, I was seated in 1B and was flying with a business partner. We did pay for full F and we did not get a meal. Assuming that this is about my partner and I, the person who started this report has a few facts wrong.

1.) The flight attendant did start serving from the rear of the first class cabin and when she got to us the only remaining option was a vegetarian meal. I don't know if this was a result of poor catering or what. I thought vegetarian meals were only available as special meal requests so I assumed this was an error. I asked if she could double check which she did, informing us that she did only have a vegetarian option remaining.

2.) I did complain that I assumed that DL would have enough meals on board for a full meal service and having paid for F, we would have been entitled to something better than a vegetarian option. However, I take issue with the suggestion that we were pretty ticked off or had any type of altercation with the FA about a meal.

3.) I never noticed that any non revenue passengers were eating meals intended for first class but the curtain separating the first class cabin from economy was shut for the entire meal service.

4.) The flight attendant, in my opinion, was totally professional and did offer additional snacks to my partner and I and apologized repeated during the flight and once we landed in Honolulu.

5.) A fellow first class passenger did suggest that we write to Delta customer service and request compensation for not getting a meal but it wasn't that big a deal and truthfully, we had a much better meal in Honolulu that evening that I would not have enjoyed nearly as much if I had eaten cheap airline food in first class.

My partner posts to this website on occasion but I had never heard of FlyerTalk before. When he told me that he thought this post was about us, I had to take a look. I can't believe that there are so many responses with so many people judging a situation that they weren't privy to with little more than a single person's commentary. I guess if I started a new post claiming that during our discussion, the flight attendant had slapped me, you guys would have had a field day!

Good luck and God bless!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Seems rather coincidental that this situation would happen twice on a Thursday and on the same route. Is it possible that you might have made some incorrect assumptions, OP, about the two guys in F (i.e. that they were partners on vacation versus business partners on business) and in fact, this is the very pax that this happened to?

Not suggesting you are being less than truthful in your version of the events, but maybe, just maybe, the pax in question called you out here?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlysToSEA
My partner posts to this website on occasion but I had never heard of FlyerTalk before. When he told me that he thought this post was about us, I had to take a look. I can't believe that there are so many responses with so many people judging a situation that they weren't privy to with little more than a single person's commentary. I guess if I started a new post claiming that during our discussion, the flight attendant had slapped me, you guys would have had a field day!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, FlysToSEA! ^

What can I say, this is pretty typical of what happens here quite frequently. Very long rants based on the observations of a lone passenger -- often with facts omitted or misunderstood -- followed by many responses. However, every once in awhile, someone who was also on a reported flight posts here with... uh... additional information that may cast a different light.

Sadly, your last sentence is absolutely true.

In fairness to the people who post here at FT, I really don't think any of them are trying to be malicious. Yes, their 'facts' may be a bit convoluted but most are trying to post sincere data points. And please understand, posters have no idea what the real facts are, though most would appreciate additional information. All we have is what is reported and as you note, sometimes it is not the full story.

Thanks for filling in some of the blanks. ^
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Thanks for clarifying, and it does sound like your version is accurate. Of course it is the internet and no one can be sure of anything, but I'll take you at your word.

I'm also skeptical that the first time poster is actually ther person from 1b
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

This is quite easy. Snap a pic of your boarding pass post it up. Or even the flight number. I find it odd for someone to join this site only to post in this thread. Heck, there are multiple flights from SEA to HNL. What flight number was it?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Conspiracy Theories Abound

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
This is quite easy. Snap a pic of your boarding pass post it up. Or even the flight number. I find it odd for someone to join this site only to post in this thread. Heck, there are multiple flights from SEA to HNL. What flight number was it?
Count me as skeptical too. This new FTer could just as easily be the offending FA covering his/her tracks.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
This thread just keeps on giving. This is why I love the DL forum...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:23 pm

I never said that this was me, I said my partner mentioned that it may be me and he claims to post here often and saw the posts. After a good laugh over lunch today, I promised I would look at it tonight. Why do you think it is so odd that someone would see something on the internet, connect the dots that it was about them and not respond, especially when the version reported was blatantly wrong and makes us look like a couple of jerks?

Again, assuming this is me. My business partner and I are not homosexual. I never claimed to anyone to have spent $2K on my ticket. In fact, I think my ticket was less than $700 but I would never share what I paid with a flight attendant or someone I was sharing first class with, especially in the era of first class upgrades where some sit there having paid very little for their tickets.

My flight was 2237, seat 1B.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thread closed pending Moderator Discussion.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.