Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by defrosted
Sorry for the non DL story, but this reminds me of an AA canceled flight I was supposed to be on a few years ago, in the rebooking line I overheard the rare DYKWMHI of which you speak.

She was arguing with the GA because they just don't understand, they can't cancel this flight, her husband (who was standing beside her) needs to be back at school Monday because he is the Principal. The rest of us in the line got a good laugh about that. How does she expect that call to go, this is gate 5 please uncancel flight 1234 immediately, we have a guy that has to get to work on Monday.
It must be hard being the only passenger on a flight (out of 60 to 192) that has work on Monday.
Meanwhile it's been a few years since I was in school but I would think a missing teacher is more of an inconvenience than a missing principal for a day.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Might be having problems finding since it's DYKWIA and not DYKHIA.
INDEED

Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL GM
Do You Know How Much I Can Squat? (DYKHMICS?)

Keith
flyerCO and TheHorta like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
How would I know who is boarding out of turn?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Not Delta related but just witnessed some classic DYKWIA five minutes ago at the Moxy hotel front desk. Tried using the live chat to request two extra pillows and because there was no response and so I went down and saw a line of five people at the front desk and so they must have been busy. I waited in turn and of course along comes this DYKWIA who assumes his request is quicker than everyone else's and goes straight to the desk and ignores the line of people. Took pleasure in pointing out where the line was.
sky303 and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by davie355
..... Delta indicates clearly ..... via announcements in the gate area..
Some airports are better than others, but many, many gate announcements are difficult to understand.
ACCDraw and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Maybe the guy had a few comfort squirrels tucked into his pant legs? Possible?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Not Delta related but just witnessed some classic DYKWIA five minutes ago at the Moxy hotel front desk. Tried using the live chat to request two extra pillows and because there was no response and so I went down and saw a line of five people at the front desk and so they must have been busy. I waited in turn and of course along comes this DYKWIA who assumes his request is quicker than everyone else's and goes straight to the desk and ignores the line of people. Took pleasure in pointing out where the line was.
Had this at the Hampton in Panama City just recently. Like four parties in line and up walks this lady straight out of the elevator to the front of the desk. A quick, "um, did you not see this line of people?" got her to begrudgingly queue up.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Perhaps he was a member of their Matterhorn Club.
LAX-1K and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RRDD

Some airports are better than others, but many, many gate announcements are difficult to understand.
Especially when you have two gates next to each other boarding at same time. Had This last year. Flight to JNB and flight to LHR were boarding from gates next to each otger at same time. No one knew which flight announcement was for.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sky303
Had this at the Hampton in Panama City just recently. Like four parties in line and up walks this lady straight out of the elevator to the front of the desk. A quick, "um, did you not see this line of people?" got her to begrudgingly queue up.
She wasn't trying to go to the elite line? I find at a lot of hotels it isn't clear that there's a separate elite line.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
She wasn't trying to go to the elite line? I find at a lot of hotels it isn't clear that there's a separate elite line.
There was a single agent at work and no Honors line/signage (they weren't fantastic brand standard wise anyway...seemed like a takeover and rebrand of a much older hotel). If there was I'd have been ahead of her lol.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Line may be there, but often it is unstaffed. So the wait there may be a looong time until someone shows up on the other side. Or short if the staff member from the general line sees you and comes over. So it's a gamble standing in the so-called elite lines at hotels, IME.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many chain hotels have separate lines for elites, just like DL elites can use the SkyPriority line to check in. Are you sure the guy didn't have elite Starriott status?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sky303
There was a single agent at work and no Honors line/signage (they weren't fantastic brand standard wise anyway...seemed like a takeover and rebrand of a much older hotel). If there was I'd have been ahead of her lol.
Of course there wouldn't be HHonors signage as Moxy is a Marriott brand, not Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.