FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1318124-do-you-know-who-i-am-definitive-thread-dykwia-stories.html)

pvn Dec 19, 2016 12:31 pm

oh cool now we're at the part where we all remotely diagnose mental disorders from a one-sided internet message board posting

pvn Dec 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 27634955)
The DM clearly had his own separate record as there is no way he would have been on the list with 5 people on 1 PNR...can you blame him for not sitting next to this woman...it's the only peace he's likely to get until they're back home.

Yes, clearly he must have been on his own PNR. But still, he could have let his wife sit in the front for the short hop to ATL and avoided a ton of ........ for himself (not to mention the rest of the passengers)

Allan38103 Dec 19, 2016 12:44 pm

I would have done something in this situation at LOU.

JayTeaBee Dec 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by stillontheroad (Post 27634760)
While waiting for a delayed flight from Louisville (SDF) KY, to Atlanta yesterday a family of 5 approached the GA with the wife demanding to know why only her husband (DM) had been upgraded to FC while the rest of the party was in either C+ or Coach. She informed the GA that she was ruining her family vacation to London by making her and her family sit apart from her husband/dad. She demanded that the GA move others to allow her family (of 5) to sit together in FC. The GA kind of smirked and informed her (politely) that the FC had checked in full and there was no way she could accommodate the request. The wife seemed to go off on that and again, loudly demanded to be moved into FC because her husband was DM. The GA repeated that there was no way and she and her family would have to take their assigned seats. The wife then demanded to “speak to someone with some authority” who could make the changes. The GA called a “redcoat” who basically told the woman the same thing the GA had told her. She got louder and louder but finally seemed to accept that she would not be upgraded for this 58 minute flight. Once she boarded she was in and out of her seat about 6 times during boarding, blocking the aisle each time. She even asked the female sitting next to her husband if she would mind trading seats with her so she could sit next to her husband. I thought the lady was going to laugh in her face when she told her she was sitting in C+ and wanted to trade her C+ for FC. She told her that maybe the person sitting next to her in C+ would trade with her husband’s FC seat and that way they could sit together. The husband shut down that conversation in a hurry. Finally, the FA told her she needed to be seated so everyone could be boarded and we could be on the way for the 1.5 hour delayed flight. She barked back that she should be in FC and she would take her time getting settled. The FA politely told her that if she was disruptive she would be removed from the flight. She then sat down and pulled out her cell phone and called Delta to complain. It was obvious she was getting nowhere with the call and she shouted into the phone “Thanks for nothing” and hung up
Finally she had to shut the phone off and stay seated for takeoff, but as soon as we were airborne she was out of her seat and in the aisle talking to her husband. The FA told her the seatbelt sign was still on and she would have to return to her seat. She commented that if Delta had seated her correctly she would be sitting next to her husband and her vacation to London would not have been ruined.
When we landed in Atlanta, she was immediately on her phone to Delta to inform them that she and her family were just arriving and they only had 20 to get to their gate for their vacation to London and to hold the plane for the family. She got real mad and slammed her phone down and shouted to her husband that Delta was no help. She then called back and I heard her tell Delta that she had just called and whoever she was talking to was rude and no help. When she explained her situation, the agent had told her “I hope you have your running shoes on”. (Priceless). She then turned and shouted to her kids (about 6-8 rows behind her) that when the plane stopped to jump up and run to the front so they could get off the plane. Needless to say the other passengers would have none of that as just about everyone was in the same situation. She cussed the entire way out of the jet bridge about the rude Delta people and the rude passengers on the flight who were ruining her vacation. I just shook my head and thought another DYKWIA.

Wow!! Wiki worthy?

United_727 Dec 19, 2016 2:13 pm

I bet he did want to ditch her in the back of the plane. I feel bad for him,having to live with someone so miserable and confrontational.

rickg523 Dec 19, 2016 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 27635393)
oh cool now we're at the part where we all remotely diagnose mental disorders from a one-sided internet message board posting

oh cool now we're at the part where we imply the OP had an agenda...so we must not characterize self absorbed behavior described in the post as such.
peace out.

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Dec 19, 2016 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee (Post 27635737)
Wow!! Wiki worthy?

Done.

davetravels Dec 19, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm surprised that when the flight was delayed, she didn't DEMAND that the flight go nonstop SDF--->LHR!!!

:D

Psyduck1 Dec 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 27636344)
I'm surprised that when the flight was delayed, she didn't DEMAND that the flight go nonstop SDF--->LHR!!!

:D

LOL. ^

MrTemporal Dec 19, 2016 6:28 pm

I tend to agree that the real problem she had was not with Delta but with her hubby. She sounds like the kind of spouse that makes one want to flee in terror at her approach. Poor hubby. Poor kids.

MSPeconomist Dec 19, 2016 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by United_727 (Post 27635987)
I bet he did want to ditch her in the back of the plane. I feel bad for him,having to live with someone so miserable and confrontational.

I think we can assume that he chose to marry her and furthermore he seems willing to remain married to her.

SeaHawg Dec 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 27634955)
The DM clearly had his own separate record as there is no way he would have been on the list with 5 people on 1 PNR...can you blame him for not sitting next to this woman...it's the only peace he's likely to get until they're back home.

And honestly, you're about to go on vacation and be spending literally the entire time together, you can be apart for a bit, it won't kill you.

^This- My wife and I rarely sit together for this exact reason. We will be together for an entire trip so why make a big deal over a seat assignment. It's also why I book separate PNR's (She's GM).

Crazyhotelguy Dec 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by stillontheroad (Post 27634760)
While waiting for a delayed flight from Louisville (SDF) KY, to Atlanta yesterday a family of 5 approached the GA with the wife demanding to know why only her husband (DM) had been upgraded to FC while the rest of the party was in either C+ or Coach. She informed the GA that she was ruining her family vacation to London by making her and her family sit apart from her husband/dad. She demanded that the GA move others to allow her family (of 5) to sit together in FC. The GA kind of smirked and informed her (politely) that the FC had checked in full and there was no way she could accommodate the request. The wife seemed to go off on that and again, loudly demanded to be moved into FC because her husband was DM. The GA repeated that there was no way and she and her family would have to take their assigned seats. The wife then demanded to “speak to someone with some authority” who could make the changes. The GA called a “redcoat” who basically told the woman the same thing the GA had told her. She got louder and louder but finally seemed to accept that she would not be upgraded for this 58 minute flight. Once she boarded she was in and out of her seat about 6 times during boarding, blocking the aisle each time. She even asked the female sitting next to her husband if she would mind trading seats with her so she could sit next to her husband. I thought the lady was going to laugh in her face when she told her she was sitting in C+ and wanted to trade her C+ for FC. She told her that maybe the person sitting next to her in C+ would trade with her husband’s FC seat and that way they could sit together. The husband shut down that conversation in a hurry. Finally, the FA told her she needed to be seated so everyone could be boarded and we could be on the way for the 1.5 hour delayed flight. She barked back that she should be in FC and she would take her time getting settled. The FA politely told her that if she was disruptive she would be removed from the flight. She then sat down and pulled out her cell phone and called Delta to complain. It was obvious she was getting nowhere with the call and she shouted into the phone “Thanks for nothing” and hung up
Finally she had to shut the phone off and stay seated for takeoff, but as soon as we were airborne she was out of her seat and in the aisle talking to her husband. The FA told her the seatbelt sign was still on and she would have to return to her seat. She commented that if Delta had seated her correctly she would be sitting next to her husband and her vacation to London would not have been ruined.
When we landed in Atlanta, she was immediately on her phone to Delta to inform them that she and her family were just arriving and they only had 20 to get to their gate for their vacation to London and to hold the plane for the family. She got real mad and slammed her phone down and shouted to her husband that Delta was no help. She then called back and I heard her tell Delta that she had just called and whoever she was talking to was rude and no help. When she explained her situation, the agent had told her “I hope you have your running shoes on”. (Priceless). She then turned and shouted to her kids (about 6-8 rows behind her) that when the plane stopped to jump up and run to the front so they could get off the plane. Needless to say the other passengers would have none of that as just about everyone was in the same situation. She cussed the entire way out of the jet bridge about the rude Delta people and the rude passengers on the flight who were ruining her vacation. I just shook my head and thought another DYKWIA.

LOVE IT.

pvn Dec 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 27636129)
oh cool now we're at the part where we imply the OP had an agenda

nope

GSBEWR Dec 19, 2016 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 27635334)
I'd wager this woman has never had a truly satisfying experience in her entire life. Her overweaning self centeredness almost certainly sabotages every experience.

+1 This says it all to me. That she HAD to sit in First Class and away from her kids, even if they were in C+. And even if they are teenagers, why would any parent want to be separated from them, especially during a family vacation? What a way to spoil the start of it.

Strange question, and I do not know if it has ever been brought up, but I figure this is the place to ask.

With all of the incidents reported in this thread, plus the many "Worst Passenger Of The Week" stories (it is a must read for me), I often keep wondering why other passengers on these flights don't try to sue some of these people, especially in the cases where the disruptive passenger causes the pilot to make an emergency stop. While I do not find fault with the pilot or the airline in these cases due to appropriate safety and security procedures, I wonder why other passengers on these flights don't sue them into oblivion, making them sorry for causing such a disruption, especially those who were intoxicated.