FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1318124-do-you-know-who-i-am-definitive-thread-dykwia-stories.html)

pmaclell Dec 10, 2016 7:58 pm

Moderators.....Time to get this thread back on track.

diburning Dec 10, 2016 8:02 pm

Boarding a JFK-BOS flight on Sunday, the GA had a really odd process. She lined up all the people in Prem in front of and facing the gate, put the people in SKY behind us, and then lined up Group 1 next to us to the left. Since we were all facing the gate, the lines snaked out into the terminal and got in the way. Groups 2 and 3 were lined up facing the wall, snaking into the seating area. It was a mess. The aircraft was a 717, so it's not like she's boarding hundreds of people. The last time I was herded into a line for boarding, I was flying United :rolleyes: Except United has the decency to rope off the lines. This was truly a bizarre boarding process and I never experienced this on Delta.

But that's not my DYKWIA story. I was second in line in Prem, and this guy wearing a BragTag™ (Gold medallion) around his neck looked at me (I'm a young-ish looking guy, wearing a sweatshirt, jeans, and sneakers) and asked if I was in the right line, since this was "Premier." I said "Yeah, Premium." and got an eye roll. He ended up being the person sitting next to me in F on the flight :rolleyes:

KDCAflyer Dec 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 27594106)
Boarding a JFK-BOS flight on Sunday, the GA had a really odd process. She lined up all the people in Prem in front of and facing the gate, put the people in SKY behind us, and then lined up Group 1 next to us to the left. Since we were all facing the gate, the lines snaked out into the terminal and got in the way. Groups 2 and 3 were lined up facing the wall, snaking into the seating area. It was a mess. The aircraft was a 717, so it's not like she's boarding hundreds of people. The last time I was herded into a line for boarding, I was flying United :rolleyes: Except United has the decency to rope off the lines. This was truly a bizarre boarding process and I never experienced this on Delta.

But that's not my DYKWIA story. I was second in line in Prem, and this guy wearing a BragTag™ (Gold medallion) around his neck looked at me (I'm a young-ish looking guy, wearing a sweatshirt, jeans, and sneakers) and asked if I was in the right line, since this was "Premier." I said "Yeah, Premium." and got an eye roll. He ended up being the person sitting next to me in F on the flight :rolleyes:

I've seen the JFK agents do this a lot for widebody flights. Seems kind of pointless for a 717 though.

Someone was wearing a luggage tag around their neck? Did he try to save money by asking to be gate-checked?

Carl Johnson Dec 11, 2016 8:45 am

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 27594271)
I've seen the JFK agents do this a lot for widebody flights. Seems kind of pointless for a 717 though.

Someone was wearing a luggage tag around their neck? Did he try to save money by asking to be gate-checked?

Maybe he had memory problems - that would be a good reason to wear a luggage tag (if he wrote in his name, and a name and number for a contact to call if he was found wandering around).

Widgets Dec 11, 2016 2:48 pm

The dying question to ask would be "do you realize you're wearing a bag tag around your neck?" I guess there is something more ridiculous than nonrevs wearing their airline IDs while flying for leisure.

SDQBound Dec 11, 2016 3:03 pm

I have a Silver Medallion brag tag in each piece of luggage and I am planning to keep them as long as they last. Earlier this year I was kindly asked by a very nice lady to step aside from the SP line because only Sky was boarding. I thanked her for letting me know and asked her if I should cut in front of the line as my BP said PREM and not SKY.

Psyduck1 Dec 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound (Post 27597269)
I have a Silver Medallion brag tag in each piece of luggage and I am planning to keep them as long as they last. Earlier this year I was kindly asked by a very nice lady to step aside from the SP line because only Sky was boarding. I thanked her for letting me know and asked her if I should cut in front of the line as my BP said PREM and not SKY.

Nice response! ^

Occupationalhazard Dec 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 27585098)
Ugh leave it to ATL GA's....

Problem identified....

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 27585593)

Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 27585567)
I suspect that GAs in ATL are also under more pressure than at most other airports to turn and fill the plane as quickly as possible in order to make sure the pilot is in the queue to the runway when he/she is supposed to be.

They're also apparently very understaffed without much support. I couldn't imagine being forced to work full on-time departures alone. Overbooked would be horrible. It's either on-time or pleasant, but it's hard to be both when you have a line of people standing under the GIDS asking for their seat assignment.

The real problem is that a lot of them are aholes. When you're working in a customer-facing position, you should not be taking things out on your customers, even if you're "stressed" or whatever excuse you want to make up for them.

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 27586946)
Jackholes exist everywhere, IMO.

Yes, however, they don't seem to be evenly distributed....

O/H

Carl Johnson Dec 11, 2016 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound (Post 27597269)

I had one too! I didn't just use it on luggage, I kept it on my computer case (until it got torn off). I wanted people to see it and show me the same admiration and respect with which Delta treats its Silver Medallions. And they did!

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Dec 11, 2016 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard (Post 27597459)
Problem identified....

The real problem is that a lot of them are aholes. When you're working in a customer-facing position, you should not be taking things out on your customers, even if you're "stressed" or whatever excuse you want to make up for them.

O/H

This. I used to help a friend out with his small business, we both were in on it together and I'd be willingly waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes working as late as 4AM (1 on most days) taking care of customers and making impromptu sales, this included making sales while on planes -all while again willingly not making a cent. Yet I still managed to always communicate with customers by their name and even help competitors customers.

I don't expect GAs to even scratch this, but for god's sake, don't yell at a customer. You can be under stress but please keep your composure. When you set a poor example, passengers follow suit (hence the DYWKIAs and gate lice) and make travel worse for everyone. Life is stress and work, and every one of us has crap to deal with ourselves. So please, don't take your problems and frustrations out on us -unless it's a DYKWIA then please do.

Anyways, I think that pretty much sums up my rant. Hope this covered things fairly well and wasn't too out of place.

CHOPCHOP767 Dec 12, 2016 1:00 pm

These flights always seems to have its fair share of winners... Especially the 2100 departure from JFK.

Priceless! Thankfully, its only 35 minutes in the air.

Question though, how does one wear a brag tag around their neck? Please tell me there was a lanyard involved. Or was a string of the plastic bands tied together like a necklace? The only time I've seen something similar, aside from NRSAs wearing their credentials which IMO is absurd, is non-English speakers with a sign around their necks stating their name and their flight itinerary.

SDQBound Dec 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 27597211)
The dying question to ask would be "do you realize you're wearing a bag tag around your neck?" I guess there is something more ridiculous than nonrevs wearing their airline IDs while flying for leisure.

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson (Post 27595808)
Maybe he had memory problems - that would be a good reason to wear a luggage tag (if he wrote in his name, and a name and number for a contact to call if he was found wandering around).

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 27594271)

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 (Post 27601261)

Question though, how does one wear a brag tag around their neck? Please tell me there was a lanyard involved. Or was a string of the plastic bands tied together like a necklace?

A luggage tag around the neck? That sounds like a great idea! I should have a Silver tag somewhere. I will put it in a badge holder and give it a try next week :D

AANYC1981 Dec 12, 2016 1:32 pm

wow, around his neck?! that is really lame

3furballs Dec 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 (Post 27601261)
The only time I've seen something similar, aside from NRSAs wearing their credentials which IMO is absurd, is non-English speakers with a sign around their necks stating their name and their flight itinerary.

As I recall this used to be how UM was handled.

KDCAflyer Dec 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by 3furballs (Post 27601440)
As I recall this used to be how UM was handled.

I never had to wear a badge as a UM (and that was years ago). Too bad, I would have wanted people to KWIA.