Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:13 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meballard
The one place where I have seen a benefit mentioned from the Global Entry/NEXUS/SENTRI cards is as verification that you should be allowed in the PreCheck line, but not sufficient to be necessarily allowed access to the PreCheck security.
This raises some interesting scenarios...

Let's say pax qualify for PreCheck because they have GE but they have no elite status. If they go to the PreCheck line at an airport like ATL but don't get three beeps, are they simply directed to the SP line or do they have to walk around to kettle security?

Or take an airport like DTW, the cluster that requires you to wait in the SP line to see if you qualify for PreCheck. For pax with GE but no status, do they still have to stand in the kettle line and eventually walk all the way over to the left security for PreCheck or will GE get them into the SP line?

LAS is where this could be a real disaster. Really, anyone can walk up to the PreCheck line. Worst case is no GE or status so no three beeps but they still avoid the long kettle security line.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Data point: if you SDC at a precheck airport, you wont be selected. Tested this a few times now.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Wondering if Delta offers PreCheck for ORD?
Shuttle driver blew by Terminal 1 at ORD, but the scanner at Terminal 2 did LLL any DL BP, and the TSA staff were handing out PreCheck info slips, so my guess is it either works at the UA/AA terminals, or they were just polling to see percentages of PreCheck flyers going thru their terminal for future expansion.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by krpjr
Data point: if you SDC at a precheck airport, you wont be selected. Tested this a few times now.
Now I have SDC'd and still cleared PreCheck...I have my Trusted Traveler number in my profile, are you only in the program via DL SkyMiles, or via DHS?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Agree with the other poster on this. I have SDCed and still be selected as well.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Now I have SDC'd and still cleared PreCheck...I have my Trusted Traveler number in my profile, are you only in the program via DL SkyMiles, or via DHS?
Originally Posted by enigmamatt
Agree with the other poster on this. I have SDCed and still be selected as well.
The last two times I SDC'd PreCheck did not work for me. I was batting 100%!

My known traveler # has been and still is in my profile. Awkward. I'm enrolled as a GE member but was also selected by Delta as well.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
This raises some interesting scenarios...

Let's say pax qualify for PreCheck because they have GE but they have no elite status. If they go to the PreCheck line at an airport like ATL but don't get three beeps, are they simply directed to the SP line or do they have to walk around to kettle security?

Or take an airport like DTW, the cluster that requires you to wait in the SP line to see if you qualify for PreCheck. For pax with GE but no status, do they still have to stand in the kettle line and eventually walk all the way over to the left security for PreCheck or will GE get them into the SP line?

LAS is where this could be a real disaster. Really, anyone can walk up to the PreCheck line. Worst case is no GE or status so no three beeps but they still avoid the long kettle security line.
For ATL in particular, this isn't an issue as there are three lines at the south checkpoint - regular, SP, and Pre. There is a BP scanner at the entry point to that hallway (NOT the same as the TDC, which comes later), and the person there directs pax to the correct line based on their status and whether or not they get 3-beeps. If you don't get 3-beeps, you are directed to either SP or regular based on where you'd go if you weren't Pre-eligible at all.

I believe many folks here, including myself, would opt to just go over to the general lanes at the central checkpoint if they don't receive LLL, as they tend to move faster than the general or SP lines at the south checkpoint.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:32 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by dcline414
So this must be a rounding error?

I wish my GE Pre-check experience could be rounded to 100% (or any number higher than 50% even!)
We are 100% as a family.

Flying by myself I have only missed once.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I am 100% so far out of DTW for precheck and don't have GE or nexus(received the email invite from Delta being a PM) and have SDC'd at least four times from DTW and been able to use precheck with no problem.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I have used precheck at least 4 times when I SDC'd for a flight with no problems. All those times I had checked in before for my original flight the night before, so not sure if that had anything to do with it or not (I know some people that are planning on sdcing the next day will just wait to check in).
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
From my experience and from what I've read, if PreCheck and elite wait in the same line and only get directed after reaching the document checker, then PreCheck eligibility gets you into the elite line.

If there is a separate PreCheck line, then eligibility gets you into that line. If there is a check before you get into line, then you get directed as appropriate.
When I've used it, LAS wasn't an issue. You walk up to the initial check, if you get PreCheck, they send you down the PreCheck line, if not, then you would be redirected as appropriate.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:45 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Negative - I've SDC'd several times and still gotten selected for precheck.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:54 pm

(Long time lurker, first post)

I'm a frequent traveler through MCO and typically go to the black diamond line first rather than straight to the Pre-check line, though I'm 100% on getting it. I was told by TSA that I should always go to Pre-check line because once selected always selected. Was that erroneous information?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ALtraveler
(Long time lurker, first post)

I'm a frequent traveler through MCO and typically go to the black diamond line first rather than straight to the Pre-check line, though I'm 100% on getting it. I was told by TSA that I should always go to Pre-check line because once selected always selected. Was that erroneous information?
Welcome to FlyerTalk ^

The clerk was incorrect. You are never guarantee to get Pre-Check every time you visit the checkpoint. However, some people do get it more than others. It's all a random process.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meballard
When I've used it, LAS wasn't an issue. You walk up to the initial check, if you get PreCheck, they send you down the PreCheck line, if not, then you would be redirected as appropriate.
Ah, but it could be an issue in the future. TSA has no way to know how someone qualified for PreCheck. All they know is one beep or three.

That means virtually anyone -- those that have no status/GE/etc -- could avoid the long general security line by going to the PreCheck line. Of course they would get only one beep but then are directed to the left, not the right. They skip out on the long general line, using the much shorter line PreCheck line, but if enough non-qual pax did this, the results could be a mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.