Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
Nice to see another CAK flyer!

As for Precheck, same advice as others to Opt-in sending your secure data to the TSA. But I've noticed it's quite hit or miss for getting Precheck unless you are GE.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM
I'd bet that TSA is reducing success rate for airline frequent fliers to encourage you pay for TSA or GE trusted traveller programs.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
There will likely be postings on your thread telling you to pay for GE or another service to get PC. TSA is communicating to you that you will be eligible if you opt in with your airline. For some reason, those that paid are like zombies, on a mission to get you to become one of them.

Clearly, with the recent expansion and your email, TSA is not about to cut PC for those who haven't paid for a service. Ignore those responses for now. You don't have to spend any money or find time for an interview.

As someone who has not paid for any service, I've been at 100% for the past year on getting PC, except for when there was a two week issue about how my name was entered. (This appears to be more of an issue for those who paid for GE!) So have many, many other FTers. Save your money, unless you need GE for international travel or fly other airlines more than a couple times a year.

Added: Between when I started to type the response and when it posted, you already got the first zombie post! ("One of us! One of us!) You can always pay later if you find you are not being selected, but the way the program has been expanded, and the experience many of us have, you won't have to pay. (130 flights this year. Other than the five during that two week period, I'm at 100%. That means getting PC 125 times this year without paying.)
I do not appreciate the zombie reference and I am not trying to get anyone to join my "cult." Just providing advice based upon my experience and what I read on FT. Although I was either PM or DM when the PC invites started I never got one. Or perhaps I was too impatient. Since joining GE I have been rejected by PC only once (BOS in 2012).

FT is filled with complaints from invited elites regarding their success percentage. I see no such complaints from GE members.

The OP is free to accept or reject any and all advice received here. There is no reason to attack the motivation of those with different opinions.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA has publicly stated in announcing its soon to be launched pre-chceck clearance that those enrolled in it will have a higher success percentage than the FF freebies. Anecdotally, that has been true through GE for quite some time.

If you are satisfied with being eligible, opt in as noted. There are privacy implications, so DL needs your opt in so as to be authorized to share with TSA. Nobody can speak to how much better you will for for $85 with TSA (or $100 with GE), but at least TSA has now made public what some have surmised in the past.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by puntamita

I always laugh at people saying GE is "free" with amex plat. Not free, you are paying for it.
Well, to me it was "free" because it did not factor into my decision to have the card in the first place. (Heck, Pre was not a thing when many of us got the card). So added benefit, without added cost=free (in our "laughable" minds)

Regardless--PC has become more of a mess lately at CLT checkpoint 2. It was about 25 deep in the middle of the day Friday last week.

Also PC was recently added at MKE Terminal D--was a breeze.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Rip pre check mco -

MCO pre this morning was a disaster...

The regular line now funnels large numbers of adults, children, & grandparents into a single pre scanner....... What was once a haven for the regular commuter has become a bigger zoo, similar to the entrance of Magic Kingdom.....

The CLEAR membership I have retained has just regained its value... Too bad it does not have the same PRE procedures on the 60-99 side. Rumor has it that this may change.

If they want more people in PRE, open more lanes for it. Allow for an elite/expert/GE specific line and all would work better...

The current funneling of kettles is not the correct path to success.

Apparently DL management at MCO has made a complaint about this, not that I think it will go very far.....
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold

As someone who has not paid for any service, I've been at 100% for the past year on getting PC, except for when there was a two week issue about how my name was entered. (This appears to be more of an issue for those who paid for GE!) So have many, many other FTers. Save your money, unless you need GE for international travel or fly other airlines more than a couple times a year.
In my experience, you have had exceptional luck. I was invited initially by DL, my Pre rate was probably 50-65% during that time period. Once I signed up for GE, I have missed once (on an Alaska Airlines flight where I am convinced that neither DL nor my travel agent transmitted my trusted traveler number to AS). That said, and as others have noted, this is not an anecdotal success issue. TSA has published that enrolled patrons of the program will have a higher success rate because of the much more thorough background check to 'certify' that you are not a threat.

Furthermore, DL has provided an opt in option but unless you were directly invited by a FF program to join, you really can't request that you be added via DL. Thus, if the OP wants to ensure access in his airport, paid access is the best way and if the OP does any international travel, the expedited re-entry process is, in my opinion, well worth the cost of the program with Pre access being a nice added bonus!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Worked great at MIA yesterday

Yesterday was my first time flying out of MIA since they put precheck in there and it worked PERFECT for me. The lane checker was checking boarding passes to make sure they said precheck before allowing anyone in the lane and there was only one other person in front of me. I was through in less than a minute.

I hope precheck is that way flying home the Sunday after Thanksgiving from there. I always hate security that day in MIA
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
MCO pre this morning was a disaster...

The regular line now funnels large numbers of adults, children, & grandparents into a single pre scanner....... What was once a haven for the regular commuter has become a bigger zoo, similar to the entrance of Magic Kingdom.....
Say it ain't so!!!

MCO has always been the one place I've found the PC line to be the most welcome oasis. When walking up to the security, you see this disorganized amorphous blob of humans. Over to the side, there is an empty line staffed by TSA Agents who are happy to not be dealing with the blob. Within seconds, the blob is behind you. How sad that tranquility is gone.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Say it ain't so!!!

MCO has always been the one place I've found the PC line to be the most welcome oasis. When walking up to the security, you see this disorganized amorphous blob of humans. Over to the side, there is an empty line staffed by TSA Agents who are happy to not be dealing with the blob. Within seconds, the blob is behind you. How sad that tranquility is gone.
Sad but true.. I left a bouqet of tulips just past the scanner. It was good while it lasted....
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:52 pm
mdb

Seems TSA has backed off sending the hoards through PRe - there were 2 people sent over at BDL yesterday - I made a point of telling them what to do, and they were surprised but appreciative....

DTW Thursday no line at Pre
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by mdb
Seems TSA has backed off sending the hoards through PRe - there were 2 people sent over at BDL yesterday - I made a point of telling them what to do, and they were surprised but appreciative....

DTW Thursday no line at Pre
Getting ready to land on DL 1278 into BDL now. I will report back when I fly out Saturday am.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsmith50
In my experience, you have had exceptional luck. I was invited initially by DL, my Pre rate was probably 50-65% during that time period. Once I signed up for GE, I have missed once (on an Alaska Airlines flight where I am convinced that neither DL nor my travel agent transmitted my trusted traveler number to AS). That said, and as others have noted, this is not an anecdotal success issue. TSA has published that enrolled patrons of the program will have a higher success rate because of the much more thorough background check to 'certify' that you are not a threat.

Furthermore, DL has provided an opt in option but unless you were directly invited by a FF program to join, you really can't request that you be added via DL. Thus, if the OP wants to ensure access in his airport, paid access is the best way and if the OP does any international travel, the expedited re-entry process is, in my opinion, well worth the cost of the program with Pre access being a nice added bonus!
You can call AS to have your GE number added to any PNR.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
You can call AS to have your GE number added to any PNR.
I know. Unfortunately, I made the classic mistake of assuming that our in-house travel agent had taken care of this. Turns out to be the classic definition of what happens when you assume!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
same, before global entry I was 45% yes, 55% no over 11 flights, since GE I am 100% over 17 flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.