Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA MPG, Marriott Plt
IIRC, I've always received PreCheck if it's displayed on my mobile BP. However, when you print the BP at the terminal, there is no indication of whether or not you qualify. So ultimately, its a crapshoot.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:48 pm

It's not a "test" and it's not "Delta" -- what you are all describing is what TSA calls "managed inclusion". The plan is to shift more travelers to PreCheck lanes based upon Secure Flight data (among other means, such as EOD K-9s, etc., to determine who gets cleared into the PreCheck lane).

While the benefit of PreCheck as a "short line" during the pilot phase was nice, that was never the intended benefit of the program. The whole idea was that, if the pilot proved successful, some form of modified screening would become the norm over time.

As for the length of the line -- I have witnessed PreCheck lines that are significantly longer than regular lines but moved a heck of a lot faster. The length of the line isn't really indicative of anything when the screening throughput via PreCheck is a heck of a lot higher.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Those who think that pre-check was ever intended to be a FF perk of some kind simply missed the entire goal of the program.
^
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
How many of those guns would otherwise have been used in hijackings? How many are off-duty cops or other permit holders who forgot they were carrying?
That's an absolutely absurd question. Responsible gun owners know where their weapons are at all times. If a gun owner isn't responsible-enough to know that they are carrying a weapon through a TSA screening checkpoint, who is to say they'd notice if someone with nefarious intent were to get their hands on their gun post-screening?

I, for one, feel a whole lot safer knowing those guns aren't on board the aircraft regardless of whether or not their owners ever intended to use them to do harm.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by cptlflyer
It's not a "test" and it's not "Delta" -- what you are all describing is what TSA calls "managed inclusion". The plan is to shift more travelers to PreCheck lanes based upon Secure Flight data (among other means, such as EOD K-9s, etc., to determine who gets cleared into the PreCheck lane).
That is a good theory, but not what I've witnessed. They're just grabbing people wholesale and pushing them to the Pre-Check line. They're not even checking BP's before inclusion, so it's not a "managed" inclusion. "Random" Inclusion perhaps...
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:08 pm

So my home airport just added precheck (PBI). I got the email from Delta as a GM (now a PM) that I just need to "opt in" at DL.com. I'm pretty sure somewhere behind the scenes they have put my name as FIRST RIC LAST instead of Richard since my entire name is too long. Not sure if this is what is stopping me from having pre-check but whatever.
If I do Global Entry and get a trusted traveler number will this solve the problem or am I just throwing money away due to DL IT?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:37 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by HDQDD
That is a good theory, but not what I've witnessed. They're just grabbing people wholesale and pushing them to the Pre-Check line. They're not even checking BP's before inclusion, so it's not a "managed" inclusion. "Random" Inclusion perhaps...
It should be "Total" inclusion. Pre-check should be the norm unless there is a clear, demonstrable reason to screen someone differently.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If TSA messes up the advantages of PreCheck this way, how can they expect people to pay $85 to apply for it?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Gindernation
IIRC, I've always received PreCheck if it's displayed on my mobile BP. However, when you print the BP at the terminal, there is no indication of whether or not you qualify. So ultimately, its a crapshoot.
Agree. But you can scan your barcode on your BP (paper or mobile) to determine if you'll get the hoped-for triple beep. I use Qrafter, works well on UA and DL boarding passes if you know what to look for.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:00 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Experienced this new process this morning, Delta is giving 'random' passengers flying AA Pre-Check too here in MCI, I'm going to complain to Delta (though they don't have full Pre-check for AA here in MCI, just Pre-Check Lite).

Or maybe it really is TSA doing this ...

For once I agree with Spiff, Pre-Check should be the norm, all lanes but one should be Pre-Check, not the other way 'round.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TYSGene
If you have the TSA PreCheck symbol on your DL App boarding pass, will you always get the 3 beeps? Or will it beep once sometimes, even though it says "TSA PreCheck?"
TSA PreCheck is never guaranteed. You can have the symbol and not get the 3 beeps. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I've asked a number of other people who have encountered long Pre-check lines recently, and each one said that the majority of the people in line were older/senior citizens. I'm wondering if that is the new criteria the TSA is using in expanding Pre-check.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Got my first taste of "managed inclusion" today flying DL from MCO to DTW (or is it "MI," a new FT abbreviation?).

PC credentials check went as normal. One pax in front of me. As I approached the x-ray belt I noticed a back-up at the mag. The source? The mag was being shared by families using a non-PC x-ray on the other side of the mag. The gal in front of me set it off and instead of coming back through she stood in the mag while searching her jacket for the metal object.

At least we still have a PC-Only x-ray. Thinking that will not last for very long...
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I've asked a number of other people who have encountered long Pre-check lines recently, and each one said that the majority of the people in line were older/senior citizens. I'm wondering if that is the new criteria the TSA is using in expanding Pre-check.
There is no consistency. This AM TSA was merging families into the mag that, since the beginning of PC in MCO, was used exclusively for PCs. At least the x-ray is still PC use only. Today.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I experienced a long line at LAS Sunday morning at Precheck (fortunatley I still made it through pretty fast). At LAS anyway, I think part of the problem is they don't have a dragon looking at Boarding passes. People see the long general lines and notice the precheck line is a lot shorter and just jump in that line since there is no person checking boarding passes. At DTW where they have a person checking the boarding passes the TSA line is usually empty or has 1 person in front of me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.