Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL: Getting from one concourse to another

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL: Getting from one concourse to another

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
.....Anytime I go through ATL I feel compelled to WALK through the Zimbabwe sculptures that are displayed between Concourse B & A.......
+1 for the art

Also ..... Real shagging has to be done on a beach, with bare feet.

Also ..... ATL seems to always have a large number of uniformed military personnel waiting for flights. If you are eating in a cafe and you see 2 or 3 of them munching on burgers, then tell the server you want to pick up their tab.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
this is the best way between terminals

Originally Posted by cduluk
Hey guys,

I'll be going to ATL airport in March and was hoping someone who's been there before could help me.

Can a passenger get from one of the concourses to the others without having to leave and re-enter security multiple times?
Thanks!

Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:18 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Will the OP be able to re-check their bag for their AirTran flight in the E re-check area? I don't think DL and FL have an interline agreement so the OP will have to go to the AirTran service desk in E to get a new bag tag (if that is possible) or will need to re-check their bag as an ATL terminating bag, go to the main baggage claim and then check-in with FL at the ticket counter. The latter would add quite a bit of time to the whole process.

In any case, once your bags are taken care of you will only need to pass through ATL security once for access to all of the concourses.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! It's good to hear.

I'm not sure what concourse i'll be landing in, but i'm hoping it's not the international one you're talking about. I think it might be though...

The DL flight i'll be taking to ATL is on a 777 as a "re-positioning" flight that will be headed overseas that evening. It will be flight 240, doing DTW-ATL from 12:05pm-2:20pm, then most likely ATL-(somewhere in Asia) the same evening. So will my DTW-ATL leg be arriving in the international terminal? If i check flightaware, all the 777 repositioning flights from DTW-ATL in the past month seem to have arrived at gates E18, E10, or T2. Not sure if this is the international one.

Once we land in ATL, what's the easiest way to retrieve our luggage and get them booked with AirTran? Is there some kind of shortcut? I called DL and they said they're not code share partners so they wouldn't be able to do the luggage for both airlines. Would i have to exit security, get them from the belt and go back through security like everyone else to get them on our AirTran flight for 8:03pm that night?

Do you think there's enough time from when our DL flight lands at 2:20pm and when our AirTran flight takes off at 8:03pm that night? That's about 5 hours + 43 mins...

Thanks again!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While you may be at an international arrivals capable gate, you'll be let out on the domestic side of the terminal so you don't have to go through customs. Delta and Airtain used to have an interline agreement for baggage, but apparently ended it in 2006. So you'll need to take the train to main terminal to get your bags and re-check them and then go back through security. 5+ hours is way more than enough time.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:28 pm

That's a huge amount of time, you'll be fine.

You should be able to choose a restaurant (I agree with the suggestions in this thread) in any concourse and still have time to get to wherever your second flight is leaving from.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Originally Posted by LBJ
... So you'll need to take the train to main terminal to get your bags and re-check them and then go back through security. 5+ hours is way more than enough time.
Take the train to 'Baggage Claim/Ground Transportation' (last stop). Go up the escalators. Turn left to South Terminal. A gigantic overhead screen lists your arriving flight and carousel. Then proceed to North Terminal AirTran (Southwest?) counter to check in.

Hope this helps.

Oh yes, 5+ hours is plenty of time. Unless your DTW-ATL flight is very delayed.

Another vote for One Flew South at Concourse E. (Pork belly sliders, my favourite.)
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by cduluk

Do you think there's enough time from when our DL flight lands at 2:20pm and when our AirTran flight takes off at 8:03pm that night? That's about 5 hours + 43 mins...

Thanks again!
More than enough time. With that kind of time I would definitely plan on a sit down meal at One Flew South, a visit to Xpress Spa (Concourse A, Centerpoint) for a neck and shoulder massage, and would walk the distance between terminals for a little exercise!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belle3388
Take the train to 'Baggage Claim/Ground Transportation' (last stop). Go up the escalators. Turn left to South Terminal. A gigantic overhead screen lists your arriving flight and carousel. Then proceed to North Terminal AirTran (Southwest?) counter to check in.

Hope this helps.

Oh yes, 5+ hours is plenty of time. Unless your DTW-ATL flight is very delayed.

Another vote for One Flew South at Concourse E. (Pork belly sliders, my favourite.)

Thanks for the guidance guys! I feel much more comfortable about navigating through ATL with your help! I know the layover in ATL might be a little overkill, but i scheduled the AirTran flight later just in case... It'll be my first time at ATL and first time with AirTran so i don't know what to expect. Hopefully our DTW-ATL flight won't be too too late!

Thanks again
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
a few quick question

sorry 2x

Last edited by ilovesprint; Feb 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all the help regarding navigating through ATL! We had our trip last week and thanks to all of your guidance, it was a BREEZE.

We arrived in ATL in the B terminal, boarded the train (impossible to miss) to the main terminal to get our luggage, walked over to the AirTran desk (right around the corner), checked our bags, and entered security (which didn't take more than 5mins), and then spent the remaining time riding the train between concourses to see the various shops and have dinner. We were completely free to travel between the A, B, C, D, E and T concourses via the train without having to go through security again. Just like you guys said!

So thanks again for making our trip a little less stressful!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I'm glad it worked well for you.

The only issue I would point out to other travelers is that if you choose to walk all the way down to the T concourse, it's easy to miss the escalators up, and instead get onto the long escalator up to arrivals. That's because the long one is straight ahead in your view as you are walking. Do that and you have to exit the secure area and renter via the security check point again.

The escalator up to the T gates requires you to sort of look backwards to see it, when you get down in the area where the train lets folks off for T. Otherwise you'll just keep walking past it, like I did.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by edweird
The only issue I would point out to other travelers is that if you choose to walk all the way down to the T concourse, it's easy to miss the escalators up, and instead get onto the long escalator up to arrivals. That's because the long one is straight ahead in your view as you are walking. Do that and you have to exit the secure area and renter via the security check point again.

The escalator up to the T gates requires you to sort of look backwards to see it, when you get down in the area where the train lets folks off for T. Otherwise you'll just keep walking past it, like I did.
I did that too once. I was deep in conversation with someone, went up the wrong escalator and had to go back through security to go to my gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.