Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA-DO/meetup -- March 25th

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

LGA-DO/meetup -- March 25th

The LGA-DO was successful and a big thank you to Carnasie for making the banner PDF file...SkyMilesInsider for his help, and to the LGA Delta station for meeting with us...

I'm leaving the original first post below as it might be useful for future DO organizers...
-----------------------------------------------------------

Intro
March 25th is the first wave of new DL service at LGA and they are having a fare sale (ending Jan 5th) to promote the new service:
https://www.delta.com/planning_reser...ghts/index.jsp

The following cities will have LGA direct service starting March 25th:
Buffalo, NY (BUF)
Burlington, VT (BTV)
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX (DFW)
Dayton, OH (DAY)
Greensboro, NC (GSO)
Louisville, KY (SDF)
Manchester, NH (MHT)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Norfolk, VA (ORF)
Richmond, VA (RIC)
Rochester, NY (ROC)
Syracuse, NY (SYR)

To celebrate some of us FlyerTalk members are flying in on "inaugural" flights and we plan to join up with local FlyerTalk members at LGA and would like to invite others to join us.

Schedule

Morning - FlyerTalkers arriving at 10:45 am from BUF and 11:45 am from GSO. Delta will be having a media event (ribbon cutting) at gate D-10 starting at 10:15 am. Those of us airside will watch as much of it as possible depending on when we arrive.

At 12:15 pm we will meet LANDSIDE at LGA Terminal C in the general area of the Delta ticketing counters. We will then decide to either take the bus or share cabs to the lunch location.

12:36 pm - Take the Q72 bus from LGA's central terminal (terminal B) to Rego Park -OR- Take taxis instead.

1:20 pm - EVERYONE meets at lunch location: Ben's Best Gourmet Delicatessen . They have agreed to let us have separate checks so no hassle of splitting a large bill. Please see their website for their location and how to get there. ALSO...look at the menu on their website ahead of time to decide what you want.

1:25 pm to 2:50 pm - LUNCH and banner signing at Ben's Best (see info below)

3 pm - Take the Q72 bus back to LGA or share taxis.

3:45 pm - We will all meet/assemble in Terminal C, near the Delta ticket counters before heading to the location of our meeting with Delta representatives.

4 pm - Present banner and talk with Delta officials **UPDATE 3/25** SkyMilesInsider confirmed that we will be meeting with a senior member of Delta's LGA team. I won't share the name quite yet as things could change later this morning as Delta has their media event and ribbon cutting at LGA.

5 pm(?) - Visit Marine Air Terminal and then walk to Plainview Park to do some plane spotting (Wind/weather permitting)

7 pm(?) - More socializing (in city for drinks or dinner or both...)

We need people with connections to people at Delta to try to work something out....
*UPDATE 1/1/12* - I've been in touch with some FlyerTalk members who have Delta contacts so rest assured that efforts are being made to arrange something with Delta at LGA.

*UPDATE 2/2/12* - I've been in touch with the LGA station manager and they are planning their own inaugural events for March 25th. She said she'd be in touch with me with details. Once their plans are more set we can figure out scheduling for our itinerary, mainly where and when to get lunch as a group.

*UPDATE 3/4/12* - I'm still in touch with Delta personal at LGA and sometime next week we should have a better idea of what they have planned!

*UPDATE 3/13/12* - Canarsie Put together an awesome banner for use! Please see post #156 for details!

*UPDATE 3/16/12* - SkyMilesInsider reached out to us and will arrange for Delta officials to meet with us at LGA (landside) at 4 pm so we can present them the banner, hear about LGA operations, and ask questions!

*UPDATE 3/18/12* - A lunch location has been found! See post #167

*UPDATE 3/24/12* - It is almost the day of the LGA-DO! Please review this post for information and links to relevant information. Please decide when you plan to meet up with your fellow FlyerTalkers and figure out where that will be and how you will get there. Look at the Ben's Best menu online to decide what you want ahead of time. Make sure you have a metro card or enough change if you plan to use public transportation

*UPDATE 3/24/12* - As per iTanNicNic's post...he has sent a private message (PM) to everyone attending...if you did NOT receive a PM and you plan on attending please let him know ASAP!
Post #232

Attendee List
See post #49

Please PM (private message) ITanNicNic with the following information:

1) Are you attending the lunch?
2) If you are attending the lunch, will you meet us at Ben's Best or will you be at LGA? (A group of use will be at LGA and will be catching the 12:36 pm Q72 bus from LGA to Ben's Best. It will be good to know how big this group will be.)
3) Will you be attending the 4 pm meeting with Delta officials?

Last edited by Burj; Mar 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Burj
March 25th is the first wave of new DL service at LGA and they are having a fare sale to promote the new service:

https://www.delta.com/planning_reser...ghts/index.jsp

I was thinking of flying in from Upstate, NY to be on an "inaugural flight" and thought there might be other FlyerTalk members thinking the same thing...

Someone who is familiar with LGA and the near surroundings can perhaps suggest a restaurant or someplace where we can all meetup?

Does anyone know if Delta is planning any events to commemorate the start of the "LGA hub"?
I could find a UA flight from LA to LGA for that one Count me in if it happens.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I could find a UA flight from LA to LGA for that one Count me in if it happens.
Maybe we could smuggle you into the DL terminal at LGA so you can hangout in a SkyClub for old times sakes!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Maybe we could smuggle you into the DL terminal at LGA so you can hangout in a SkyClub for old times sakes!
I will still be a DM with SC access so I can get in but I will just have to avoid being identified or it could get ugly. I will be wearing dark shades and a fake mustache...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Hmm it's a Sunday... if we keep it limited to a Sunday or weekend kinda thing count me in too. Not sure how I'll get to the SC though without a ticket...

As for nearby restaurants there isn't really much "nearby" -- I mean there are some places but you'd have to take a bus or two (not a rental car/airport shuttle) or car/taxi. I can take 4 passengers if we do end up doing something lol. I can come back with a list of decent places not too far from the airport.

Planeview Park (across the Grand Central) has really great views of 4/22. You can take a shuttle bus nearby (Enterprise and Budget are very close; Avis and Courtyard hotel are a little further but still close) and it's a short walk from any of those. Not a bad idea if it's nice out.

Let's also not forget what will be disappearing due to this. Maybe I'm alone when I say this, but I for one will miss the Dash 8s

-J.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Hmm it's a Sunday... if we keep it limited to a Sunday or weekend kinda thing count me in too. Not sure how I'll get to the SC though without a ticket...

Planeview Park (across the Grand Central) has really great views of 4/22. You can take a shuttle bus nearby (Enterprise and Budget are very close; Avis and Courtyard hotel are a little further but still close) and it's a short walk from any of those. Not a bad idea if it's nice out.

Let's also not forget what will be disappearing due to this. Maybe I'm alone when I say this, but I for one will miss the Dash 8s
That is what I was thinking....since it is a Sunday take the first flight from BUF/ROC/SYR to LGA...spend the day, and then take a late afternoon/evening flight back...

We could just keep it informal and say....weather permitting...meet at the park at 11 am. That way both people who fly into LGA or local NYC FT-ers can meet up...

Again it would be interesting to see if Delta does anything for the day...

(As for the Dash-8s....they are great for watching but not for riding!)

Just found this on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3cOzQj57iM

Last edited by Burj; Dec 27, 2011 at 6:48 pm Reason: add youtube link
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
LGA isn't too far from Jackson Heights (10 min cab, 25 min bus), which has pretty good south/southeast/east asian food. Also Astoria for some Greek options (and a beer garden, but it'll probably be too cold).

Perhaps those of us with DL connections could set up some semi-sponsored FT event there
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Count me in, although I won't be flying anywhere to join you guys. We could do a mimosa brunch somewhere, because Sunday is a day for drinking.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Or for the deli-deprived, a ride on the Q72 bus from LGA to Rego Park will get you to one of Queens' few remaining kosher delis, Ben's Best, on Queens Boulevard.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL FO
I'd certainly be interested
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
There is a place called The Pine that's really close to LGA. (It's in what I think is currently the Holiday Inn LaGuardia). It's really not your average airport hotel restaurant... Really!

Portions you wouldn't believe and better Italian-American food than is available in most of the places people will be flying in from.

(Also a great place to grab a sub to carry on before a long flight in coach... One for 2 or 3 people though, they're somewhat ridiculously large)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:17 pm

Count me in if this happens.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

how does this look....?

Another place to consider is the Yankee Clipper Deli at the Marine Air terminal...

According to Patrick Smith of "Ask A Pilot"
http://www.askthepilot.com/essays-an...with-airports/

"The next time you’re at LaGuardia, check out the Yankee Clipper restaurant over at the Marine Air Terminal. It’s a cafeteria-style place on the left-hand side of the old rotunda, beneath the famous James Brooks mural."

It appears to be a 15 minute walk of about .7 miles to/from the Plainview park...
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:06 am

I'd be interested in doing the BUF-LGA flight. $98 r/t, $119 a/i. This one is a "go" for me.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
(As for the Dash-8s....they are great for watching but not for riding!)
Flying on them is the best part!!!

Originally Posted by guv1976
Or for the deli-deprived, a ride on the Q72 bus from LGA to Rego Park will get you to one of Queens' few remaining kosher delis, Ben's Best, on Queens Boulevard.
I'd be down for that... one of my favorite places to go for the last 20 years ^^

If I was still living in ROC I'd be on that flight. Alas, I'm not (and I don't mind it either tbh).

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.