Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is This a Good Deal for Award Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Is This a Good Deal for Award Travel?

I'm a GM looking to use my relatively small stash of SkyMiles. Travel often, but not as savvy as some of you when it comes to award travel.

I can fly r/t from RDU>SYD in March for 140k miles. Any opinions on if that's fair? More than fair? Bad deal? Just trying to make good decisions. Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I take it that is in coach? I'd say that's not a great deal. If you can get 10k more miles, you might be able to find a business class seat on VAustralia who has much better inventory.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Yes it's coach - thanks for asking. I did play around with Velocity to look at V Aus inventory, but got astronomical fares - 800k for award travel. I probably need to look around more.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Dates and times are a factor. Assuming the dates and times are ideal price the flights via Delta dot com as a point of reference. Call Deta with specific dates and times for options. The trip is not complicated so the phone agent may find excellent options. Also, the online booking engine appears to be updated recently.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mellicon
Yes it's coach - thanks for asking. I did play around with Velocity to look at V Aus inventory, but got astronomical fares - 800k for award travel. I probably need to look around more.
The 800K ones are "any time" awards- similar to DL's high-tier awards- for travel by their own members only. What you're looking for is availability in the first column- "Reward"- that would match across to DL's low inventory. Then you can book it for 150K using Delta miles.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Anything but low is NOT a good deal. To redeem middle and high rewards only encourages them to continue to fleece the program.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Just call DL up, pay the $25 fee and book Biz class for 150,000 on V Australia.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Anything but low is NOT a good deal. To redeem middle and high rewards only encourages them to continue to fleece the program.
Lots of people use miles - especially to far-flung destinations - for trips they otherwise wouldn't take. The OP's choice may be Medium award band or staying home.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by fiveninerzero
Isn't there a fuel surcharge when booking awards on V Australia, to the tune of $500 per passenger?

Last edited by krp453; Dec 23, 2011 at 8:45 am
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:10 pm

Yes, there are fuel surcharges- though still beats 140K in coach.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Yes, there are fuel surcharges- though still beats 140K in coach.
Indeed - 150k + $500 for J sounds so much better than 140k + normal taxes for Y.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:38 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by fiveninerzero
Assuming there is availability?

You make it sound so easy...
Old Dec 24, 2011, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Lots of people use miles - especially to far-flung destinations - for trips they otherwise wouldn't take. The OP's choice may be Medium award band or staying home.
That is exactly my position. Thank you for understanding. After reading here, I understand that Delta's SkyMiles program is less than equitable, but I've managed to rack up a decent stash of miles and I just want to make the most of them.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mersk862
Indeed - 150k + $500 for J sounds so much better than 140k + normal taxes for Y.
Originally Posted by A4K
Assuming there is availability?

You make it sound so easy...
I'd have no problem paying the $500. After numerous searches though, I simply cannot find any available inventory on V Australia. My target dates were 3/14 - 30, but even looking +- in a 90 day range - nothing. I'll keep trying.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
I am not sure if it will help or not, but here are some Blog posts that may give you some ideas to help with the booking:

http://upgrd.com/blogs/will-fly-for-...lta-miles.html

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/08/how-...elta-skymiles/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.