Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Delta 747-400 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Delta 747-400 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Average, or below/above averageas defined by another person might not be so in your opinion. I can't tell you which one to pick. I have seen people struggling with heavy cabin baggage trying to haul it to the upper deck as they read that upper drck is more "private". The upper deck might not be suitablr for everyone.
Pilots use the lav on the upper deck, which might be an issue too.

5E is a middle seat. 78A/80K are window seats. Row 80 is thr last row on the starboard side and 78, the last but one on the portside. If you likr middle seat go for 5E. People can't decide for you.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
I'm simply asking for folk's opinions on the overall better seat, not asking anyone to tell me what to do. Seems like you don't have an opinion in the matter, or are unwilling to share. Thanks anyway.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Since my company no longer pays for biz class, I'm just happy that the 744 that I'll be flying on from DTW - NRT later this month will have the upgraded economy class with VOD, power outlets, etc...
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:15 pm

Note that only the first few rows of Y have 115V power. The rest just have the 5V USB.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by chetdogleash
Note that only the first few rows of Y have 115V power. The rest just have the 5V USB.
An important point. Probably the biggest benefit of 'economy comfort' for me.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by BosTravel
Should I go with 5E on the lower deck or stick with my 'below average' seat on the upper deck?
Don't know why you think 78A and 80K are below average. All UD seats are basically the same, and perfectly comfortable. The cabin is low-density and quiet. Only drawback I can imagine for 80K is having the closet and walking space behind you, but that could be viewed as a plus and you're likely to be the first one going down the stairs to get off the plane.

Stick with UD.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Don't know why you think 78A and 80K are below average. All UD seats are basically the same, and perfectly comfortable. The cabin is low-density and quiet. Only drawback I can imagine for 80K is having the closet and walking space behind you, but that could be viewed as a plus and you're likely to be the first one going down the stairs to get off the plane.

Stick with UD.
BosTravel references SeatExpert, which for some reason has 80K flagged as below average for being a high traffic area. 78A isn't marked as below average at all. However, some of the stuff they put out is rather nonsensical. 77AK are marked as increased legroom, seat in front does not recline, additional space/increased privacy, and reduced storage space. My understanding is that the suite-style seats give everyone the same legroom, even if in an exit row, so there's no extra legroom. Every seat has the advantage of not having anyone recline into their space. I'm also not sure how those seats have any extra space or privacy. The reduced storage space thing usually goes with the overheads having equipment stored in them (not the case by my understanding) or not being able to put things under the seat in front of you (applies to all seats). Thus, it seems that SeatExpert is as out of touch as SeatGuru can be.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Average, or below/above averageas defined by another person might not be so in your opinion. I can't tell you which one to pick. I have seen people struggling with heavy cabin baggage trying to haul it to the upper deck as they read that upper drck is more "private". The upper deck might not be suitablr for everyone.
Pilots use the lav on the upper deck, which might be an issue too.

5E is a middle seat. 78A/80K are window seats. Row 80 is thr last row on the starboard side and 78, the last but one on the portside. If you likr middle seat go for 5E. People can't decide for you.
Go for the upper deck if you can, if your luggage is so heavy you can't carry it up the stairs its probably to e=heavy to be bringng anyway, but there are closets to put your bags in upstairs. Really are no "bad" seast upsatirs, I usually get 77A or 77K as Ilike the "extra shelf space in front of the seat to set my tray on when I am finished with my meal. yesteray I had 72K MNL>NRT>JFK, bulkhead upfront, not bad either, some traffic with the pilots shuttling in and out to use the restrooms but over all no worse than the 77A or 77K and it also had the extra "shelf space in front of the seat also.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Question

Originally Posted by craig44485
Go for the upper deck if you can, if your luggage is so heavy you can't carry it up the stairs its probably to e=heavy to be bringng anyway, but there are closets to put your bags in upstairs. Really are no "bad" seast upsatirs, I usually get 77A or 77K as Ilike the "extra shelf space in front of the seat to set my tray on when I am finished with my meal. yesteray I had 72K MNL>NRT>JFK, bulkhead upfront, not bad either, some traffic with the pilots shuttling in and out to use the restrooms but over all no worse than the 77A or 77K and it also had the extra "shelf space in front of the seat also.
Enjoying reading all the input..... Thanks FTers! Can anybody let me know why they wouldn't prefer the nose area of the 747? It always feels so much 'wider' and open to me. I like the uppder deck, of course, but I'm wondering why more people aren't advocating the nose section as well. Grant it, I haven't flown Delta in years, but I will be next year (thanks RGN Round 2 !) and I was thinking the nose would be the best.... Any input appreciated!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Paella747
Enjoying reading all the input..... Thanks FTers! Can anybody let me know why they wouldn't prefer the nose area of the 747? It always feels so much 'wider' and open to me. I like the uppder deck, of course, but I'm wondering why more people aren't advocating the nose section as well. Grant it, I haven't flown Delta in years, but I will be next year (thanks RGN Round 2 !) and I was thinking the nose would be the best.... Any input appreciated!
The most common complaint reported about row 1 is the closet, which some pax mistake for a lav and which the FAs must access throughout the flight, making it a higher traffic area. The pax:FA ratio is also better on the upper deck.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
I appreciate the assistance everyone. Sticking to the UD it is. Much thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by mtkeller
BosTravel references SeatExpert, which for some reason has 80K flagged as below average for being a high traffic area. 78A isn't marked as below average at all. However, some of the stuff they put out is rather nonsensical. 77AK are marked as increased legroom, seat in front does not recline, additional space/increased privacy, and reduced storage space. My understanding is that the suite-style seats give everyone the same legroom, even if in an exit row, so there's no extra legroom. Every seat has the advantage of not having anyone recline into their space. I'm also not sure how those seats have any extra space or privacy. The reduced storage space thing usually goes with the overheads having equipment stored in them (not the case by my understanding) or not being able to put things under the seat in front of you (applies to all seats). Thus, it seems that SeatExpert is as out of touch as SeatGuru can be.
You are correct. Basically all that info on seatguru is hogwash. Seats all the same (unlike 777, where rows 7 and 14 have extra shoulder room). I could hear an argument for additional traffic behind 80K but I'd be skeptical about how significant it is-- it's a closet, not a lav. There might be a slight drawback to the very front row on the right, being in proximity to the lavs and the crew rest area; but unlike the seat on the 777 (row 10?) that faces right at the lav door, this one faces out, away from it.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
You are correct. Basically all that info on seatguru is hogwash. Seats all the same (unlike 777, where rows 7 and 14 have extra shoulder room). I could hear an argument for additional traffic behind 80K but I'd be skeptical about how significant it is-- it's a closet, not a lav. There might be a slight drawback to the very front row on the right, being in proximity to the lavs and the crew rest area; but unlike the seat on the 777 (row 10?) that faces right at the lav door, this one faces out, away from it.
Just flew NRT>JFK in 72K, right side, upfront, really no issues at all, occasional trips by the flight deck to the lav but nothing that would wake a normal person up from a deep sleep, as far as 80K, there are only 14 people upstairs and really no one ever ventures downstairs or into the closet so I do not see that as ever being an issue. Have made the trip 6 times in the past 3 months and I believe there really are no bad seats upstairs. You can converse with your travel companion across the isle way but who talks for 12 hours any way? Main purpose for traveling in BE with lie flats is to sleep as much as possible or get some work done, not carry on a conversation the entire trip.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
Looks like N673US is planned to operate DL 621 NRT-SIN on 03 October. [Actually, there's currently a 74S seat map loaded for this flight, but that's happened before - it'll get swapped to the 744 seat map in a day or two when they notice the error.]

N673US is the last unmodified DL 747-400 and this flight will represent completion of the 747 fleet modifications from a customer perspective - there will no longer be any unmodified 747-400s in passenger service.
Lets try this again, shall we?

Looks like N673US is planned to operate DL 621 NRT-SIN on 16 October and enter the shop for modifications.

N673US is the last unmodified DL 747-400 and this flight will represent completion of the 747 fleet modifications from a customer perspective - there will no longer be any unmodified 747-400s in passenger service.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mnbp
Lets try this again, shall we?

Looks like N673US is planned to operate DL 621 NRT-SIN on 16 October and enter the shop for modifications.

That is oh so sweet! Thanks for all the updates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.