Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Old Dec 12, 11, 5:45 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GSO
Programs: DL FO
Posts: 268
Originally Posted by youngdlplat View Post
I've been a big Delta cheerleader for a long time. But this change is so petty (and so unnecessarily harsh for customers that are supposed to have some value for the airline), that I don't think I have a leg to stand on anymore.
I think petty is exactly the right word to describe it. This is such an obvious revenue-grab from loyal customers. It's pretty disappointing. The incremental cost for one more bag (on the rare occasions that an FO even uses it) has to be negligible.
Ascii is offline  
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:46 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,228
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Can I have a quick question for you guys? Why they charge 2nd checked bags for FO? I don't want to get charge of 2nd checked bag fees. It will get too extremely expensive. That's not possible for everyone else. It's too impossible for me to checked 2nd bag fee.

What about Gold Medallion? Can I have 2nd checked bag free is only for Gold Medallion? What about international?? Is that still remain 2 checked bag free? I am not sure who whether if you guys who know about the checked bag restrictions.
No offense, but if you can't afford a second bag, are you really a HVC that DL should lavish perks upon?
bubbashow is online now  
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:48 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,228
Originally Posted by Ascii View Post
There are still FOs who earn status because they do fly. This FO is at 40k BIS miles. This change effects me just as much (actually, more) than those who earn status purely through promotions.
That's why they should make all of this revenue-based.
bubbashow is online now  
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:51 pm
  #64  
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Posts: 11,911
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
No offense, but if you can't afford a second bag, are you really a HVC that DL should lavish perks upon?
You just don't get it, do you? It has nothing to do with being a HVC and everything to do with DL and AmEx. DL makes way more money from AmEx than from being an airline . They need to give FO's an incentive to get an AmEx.
fti is offline  
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:52 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Canada
Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Posts: 2,521
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
That's why they should make all of this revenue-based.

There will always be those (and I know you have been very vocal in this regard) that think that if you don't buy full F fare, or pay full Y fare or similar, then you are not an HVC.

For those of us who own small businesses and pay our own travel out of pocket, or for those of us whom are forced to buy the lowest economy ticket under our corporate travel policy, or for those of us whom on the basis of saving our clients money buy the best priced ticket - luckily for us, you are in the minority.

And FWIW - there's a lot of us whom earn status 100% the "hard way" - i.e. no Amex etc. 40,000 BIS is still a fair bit of travel, and still a fair chunk of change depending on the travel patterns.
SamuelS is offline  
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:53 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Likely being followed...
Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Posts: 5,240
c'est la vie. Doubt AMEX is helping push this drive...
Vuelos is offline  
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:56 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
That's why they should make all of this revenue-based.
As they should.
micstatic is offline  
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:56 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Posts: 405
Originally Posted by Ascii View Post
I think petty is exactly the right word to describe it. This is such an obvious revenue-grab from loyal customers. It's pretty disappointing. The incremental cost for one more bag (on the rare occasions that an FO even uses it) has to be negligible.
this
Orion316 is offline  
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:56 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MSP
Programs: DL FO, HH Diamond
Posts: 56
I do wish there was a differnentiation between FO's who earned it (I did on both segements and MQMs) and who "bought" it through Amex.

While I have not flown nearly as much as many of you here (only 34 segments and a little over 40k BIS MQMs YTD) I still have earned it more than someone who just signed up for a credit card. Yet someone with a CC gets more perks than I do? There is something really wrong with that.

I don't care about the second bag at all, but other devaulations have hurt.
tiggerlgh is offline  
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:57 pm
  #70  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,363
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
No offense, but if you can't afford a second bag, are you really a HVC that DL should lavish perks upon?
So what about GMs, PMs, and DMs that continue to get second free bags? Are they not HVCs that DL should lavish perks upon? Or should they be able to afford second bags too... and if so, why not take away their free baggage benefits?

Originally Posted by fti View Post
You just don't get it, do you? It has nothing to do with being a HVC and everything to do with DL and AmEx. DL makes way more money from AmEx than from being an airline . They need to give FO's an incentive to get an AmEx.
+1

It's increasingly clear that while you may be elite, you're not worth much to DL unless you also hold an AmEx.
javabytes is offline  
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:59 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,228
Originally Posted by SamuelS View Post
There will always be those (and I know you have been very vocal in this regard) that think that if you don't buy full F fare, or pay full Y fare or similar, then you are not an HVC.

For those of us who own small businesses and pay our own travel out of pocket, or for those of us whom are forced to buy the lowest economy ticket under our corporate travel policy, or for those of us whom on the basis of saving our clients money buy the best priced ticket - luckily for us, you are in the minority.

And FWIW - there's a lot of us whom earn status 100% the "hard way" - i.e. no Amex etc. 40,000 BIS is still a fair bit of travel, and still a fair chunk of change depending on the travel patterns.
I am DTW based and I know A LOT of people that are barely making FO, but paying a TON of money on short-haul, EXPENSIVE midwest fares on DL. If it is revenue-based, it will separate the wheat from the chaff.

I don't think that unless you are full F or full Y you are not a HVC. HOWEVER, you can follow posters on FT that take advantage of mistake fares, exploit loopholes, and repeat the behavior then complain wildly about how they are not respected as a HVC.

DL created this problem. They should make elite, elite.
bubbashow is online now  
Old Dec 12, 11, 6:11 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kingdom of the Sun
Programs: DL GM/MM
Posts: 3,707
I'm getting more and more comfortable with the July decision to book our April trip to EZE/SCL on UA, even with both of us being FOs on DL and nothings on UA.

And about to book two Caribbean trips on AA because the lower total cost well offsets the uncertainty in the upgrade lottery.

And so it goes...
Pharaoh is offline  
Old Dec 12, 11, 6:17 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,228
Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
I'm getting more and more comfortable with the July decision to book our April trip to EZE/SCL on UA, even with both of us being FOs on DL and nothings on UA.

And about to book two Caribbean trips on AA because the lower total cost well offsets the uncertainty in the upgrade lottery.

And so it goes...
Again, do you think the jaded threat to book away from DL because you can't get the lowest coach fare and upgrade to F for free is a detriment to the DL business model?
bubbashow is online now  
Old Dec 12, 11, 6:21 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LAX - san fernando valley, CA
Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
Posts: 1,156
How about we all join together and show DL who is boss by dumping their FF program, and move to another airline.

This shows how AMEX is ruining their large FF base, and AMEX is running the show.

I am getting sick & tired on how DL is nickel & dimming us for everything, just name the damn price.
LADELTA777 is offline  
Old Dec 12, 11, 6:27 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Again, do you think the jaded threat to book away from DL because you can't get the lowest coach fare and upgrade to F for free is a detriment to the DL business model?

I think you are also missing a point. If all the 40k BIS customers of the world split their loyalty, will the so called HVC's pay the difference?
micstatic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: