Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
How many people really check two bags for every flight?
Probably not that many on a routine basis. On a handful-of-times-a-year basis for special purposes (vacation, vendor display, etc.), probably many. Multiply that by the thousands of flights a day, and you get a constant stream of people checking 2 bags.

But it's the principle of the matter. What is the purpose of planting my ... in a Delta plane for 25,000 to 49,999 miles when I can get essentially the same thing for $450? Moreover, $450 for the Amex card is a lot less than the cost of those 25,000 miles.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AUDirt
The number of delayed segments I had with them was absolutely remarkable -- something like 3/4 of my segments had some measurable delay, including one delay that caused me to misconnect.
I've flown about 25 segments on US in the past 2.5 years or so and have never had a single delay.

I have had cancellations, but that was during the horrifying storms last winter in the Northeast...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
AMEX DL cardholders do get DL upgrades by way of this: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ards/index.jsp
Sure, but mileage upgrades are available to anybody, not only someone with this CC.

That's not the same thing as free elite awards, even if these may be very minimal for many silvers...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Avis PP
Makes ZERO difference to people living in the ATL area. We are not going to go anywhere - Southwest just doesn't fly to enough places - Delta does not need to worry about business passengers from Atlanta (and, maybe also, DTW, MSP) - just yesterday, I boarded a flight with 78 people in Zone 1.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gradybush
Makes ZERO difference to people living in the ATL area. We are not going to go anywhere - Southwest just doesn't fly to enough places - Delta does not need to worry about business passengers from Atlanta (and, maybe also, DTW, MSP) - just yesterday, I boarded a flight with 78 people in Zone 1.
DL certainly has three pretty ironclad "fortress" hubs at ATL, DTW and MSP, no question.

It controls about 80% of the traffic at both ATL and MSP and about 73% at DTW...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cabingirl
I've seen on here that supposedly my companion could get their own free baggage allowance even when they are on a different PNR, but I have never managed to make it happen. Every time I've tried I've been told no. So, I check their bag under my allowance, which I won't be able to do next year.
It takes some arguing depending on the agent, but I've been able to do it the 2-4 times I've needed to. If the person checking you in doesn't know the rule, ask for a red coat or some other supervisor, they (in my experience) do know better. I've just found it's not well known by a lot of the front line people (which is especially odd when it's the line for elites checking bags...).
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Irony: /eye ruh nee/, noun

Just got my december Medallion statement email, and midway through the page was a link to read the aforementioned press release about the FO baggage shaft. The link takes you to this page:

http://tinyurl.com/7rltndo

on which is the following preamble of puffery:

We continue to work hard to create a world-class loyalty program focused on delivering great benefits for all members. At the core of our program is the ability for members to earn, maintain and redeem miles. We also provide fundamental benefits for our elite members ... Going forward, we are committed to delivering the SkyMiles experience you expect and the benefits you've earned. So visit this page regularly to stay informed of the latest program news and changes.

and the next paragraph is the FO baggage shaft press release. Ironic, don't you think? Cue the Alanis Morissette music.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I'm NYC based and fly about twice a month on DL (or AF). So far, out JFK and LGA I have not seen that. I have flown to MSP, DTW, CVG, MEM, and some non-hub routes such as PDX.

I do know that anything in and out of ATL will be a total nightmare. Luckily for me, with the ex-NW hubs, I never have to fly into ATL

Silvers may rarely get upgraded, but Amex DL cardholders never get upgraded. It's not much of a benefit, but, then again, the fact is that 25,000 miles a year is not that much air travel.

Losing the elite security is a big deal, I do agree with you.
Amex DL cardholders do routinely get upgraded, as they use miles to get the upgrades. DL loves that more than they love DL Silvers getting upgraded without any supporting instrument or cheap tickets.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fti
Guess neither of you ever go tent camping and don't do it by driving, but by flying first. Every trip to Alaska in the summer has me checking two pieces of luggage, each weighing close to 70 pounds. Tent, sleeping bag, ground mat, campstoves, hiking poles, clothes, etc, etc, etc. Very easy to get to 70 pounds per piece and needing two pieces.
And that's the point. Perhaps DL, when creating this new rule, didn't consider the pax that routinely tent camp in alaska in the summer. For those pax, I admit, the new rule is probably not favoring you, and you'll have to pay for that one additional bag. Still better than other carriers that limit checked baggage to 50lbs, isn't it?

Plus, I take it you're not a silver medallion, correct?

Originally Posted by N808DE
Jeez people...

I (as a now-FO who rarely, if ever, checks bags anyways), of course, take no issue with this and, quite frankly, I think free bags should be tiered anyways - everything else is. (Perhaps....DM-Unlim, PM-3, GM-2, FO-1.) What's wrong with that? (Rhetorical question, no responses please.)

Maybe I lived in Europe too long where NO bags were free and the max weight was 33 lbs...
Spot on. Majority of people will have no issue with the new rule, and won't impact them in any way. Of course, for the Alaska tent camping people, the new rule is no good.

Originally Posted by cabingirl
And 16 pages of discussion haven't shown you that it's not even really about the bags? And besides, it's not your benefit that just got cut, so who are you to say it's "pretty good"?.
I am the guy who, even if I were a Silver Medallion, wouldn't have to pay a dime, despite traveling extensively more than a silver medallion (and still find a way to never check more than one bag, and never weighing more than 50lbs)!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex DL cardholders do routinely get upgraded, as they use miles to get the upgrades. DL loves that more than they love DL Silvers getting upgraded without any supporting instrument or cheap tickets.
Right, but they don't get upgraded as a result of being Amex DL cardholders, since there is no specific upgrade benefit to the card.

Instead, they are using mileage upgrades that are available to anybody with a SM account.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by mnredfox
First off, Michelle thanks for posting. While I don't agree 3 days is really that big of an advance notice, it certainly is an improvement from the past of what DL has done. So thank you. ^
My real question here is what is DL's motivation? Is it a way truly to earn money? How much revenue do they anticipate getting from canning the 2nd SM bag domestically? And to what cost did they calculate?
The "tick off" factor for loyal 25k flyers here is I believe much more important than any direct increase in revenue from baggage fees. So I think the net effect on revenue may be negative. But they have written off trying to induce loyalty in European and Asian members already (e.g., with many horrendous devaluations for Europe-, Asian-based award travel, reduced benefits for elites based in those countries) and as many others have said, I suspect this is just the next step in their eventually abandoning any attempt to encourage loyalty in the 99%ers (probably soon to include anyone that flies less than 75k a year).

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I have a hard time believing this was a pure play revenue move, more likely the first move of many negatives towards a 2012 program change if you ask me. Since UA did reduce benefits for lower tiers, to me this DL's response to that. But I think their "on par" comment is mostly baloney, if they cared so much with being on par they'd fix the award calendar and low issues (esp international) long ago, so please spare me the "on par" stuff.....

Going back to revenue, if it is purely revenue then I blame DL in the first place. If you didn't inflate the ranks with so many promos and MQM giveaways you'd have less SM's getting free bags. Please stop inflating ranks and then fleecing benefits because there are too many give aways.
If they think this move is going to increase revenue, they don't understand customer psychology very well imo. I don't know why they even bothered to have all those focus groups earlier this year. I believe they had already decided they were going to roll out a series of program devaluations and just read into those reports what they wanted to.

But please, let the conversation continue.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's a money grab that DL will get away with because most DL elites never or only rarely check in more than one checked bag. Passengers have been trained to carry-on as much as possible, so checked bags aren't what they used to be.

In response to an earlier post: Having residences in Europe, I've never had to pay a baggage fee for a standard sized first checked bag even when flying European airlines on which I have no frequent flyer status. 44-50lb pound bags being pretty much standard free checked baggage allowance even then. Then again, I'm not one to fly Ryanair (at least not yet ) .

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Right, but they don't get upgraded as a result of being Amex DL cardholders, since there is no specific upgrade benefit to the card.

Instead, they are using mileage upgrades that are available to anybody with a SM account.
Other than for DL Medallions, it's probably still primarily DL Amex cardholders who are getting upgraded on DL flights. Non-DL Amex cardholders with SkyMiles are generally out of luck when it comes to complimentary upgrades in whatever form DL has them.

If DL Amex cardholders were out of the picture, that would be more seats for DL Medallions to get as upgrades. I have little doubt that the DL partner frequent shoppers are the primary upgrade beneficiaries along with the DL Medallions and DL employees and their near and dear ones.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL DM
The Amex ad at the bottom of each page of this thread is particularly cute... Delta management must believe that they make more money from the cards than from selling flights. Wonder if they're considering the ill-will generated by allowing people to spend money all year for a promised benefit and then taking the benefit back when it's too late to unfly those trips? Or if they realize that DM's and PM's were probably FO's on their way to the higher status; that the experience of the FF program at lower levels might determine whether more $'s are committed to DL in the future? Is this really a good business decision?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having residences in Europe, I've never had to pay a baggage fee for a standard sized first checked bag even when flying European airlines on which I have no frequent flyer status. 44-50lb pound bags being pretty much standard free checked baggage allowance even then. Then again, I'm not one to fly Ryanair (at least not yet ) .
But you don't to have in the U.S. either, as long as you have status.

Other than for DL Medallions, it's probably still primarily DL Amex cardholders who are getting upgraded on DL flights. Non-DL Amex cardholders with SkyMiles are generally out of luck when it comes to complimentary upgrades in whatever form DL has them.

If DL Amex cardholders were out of the picture, that would be more seats for DL Medallions to get as upgrades. I have little doubt that the DL partner frequent shoppers are the primary upgrade beneficiaries along with the DL Medallions and DL employees and their near and dear ones.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

DL Amex cardholders are not getting complimentary upgrades from their DL Amex cards (since there aren't any). If they're using miles from their SM accounts (which are unrelated to their DL Amex cards), then the upgrades aren't complimentary.

Now, is it possible that many passengers with DL Amex cards are using miles from their SM account to upgrade? Sure, but that really has virtually nothing to do with their credit cards, except to the extent they can accrue miles on the cards.

Then again, virtually every major airline in the world has a branded credit card that allows its users to accrue miles on the card, not just DL.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by nukchebi0
Never mind, I don't want to email some random person in customer care. How do I send this directly to someone important in Atlanta?
Richard Anderson
Chief Executive Officer
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
P.O. Box 20706
Atlanta, Georgia 30320-6001

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.