Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Space under seats for carry on's

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, HHonors Gold, AMEX SkyMiles Reserve, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hyatt Gold
Space under seats for carry on's

Does anyone know which aircraft have that tiny space available for carry on's under the aisle seats, forcing passengers to place their luggage in the overhead bins? I get really frustrated with not being able to place my carry on under the seat in front of me. After selecting a "preferred" seat, it seems that it should offer equal space for luggage as the middle and window seats. I'd like to avoid those planes, if possible.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Bring a smaller carry on bag?

That aside, equipment boxes for the entertainment systems pax want have to go somewhere...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, HHonors Gold, AMEX SkyMiles Reserve, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hyatt Gold
This isn't a situation where the entertainment system is taking up space. There are metal seat supports that have been placed unequally between all the seats, giving the aisle seat the smallest amount of space under the seat. It's not a huge issue, just a frustration, especially because I am concerned about lifting a somewhat heavy (not large) suitcase into the overhead. Since my carry on fits on all the CRJ's, I feel it should certainly fit on a large jet.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: DL Gold
I've noticed that the majority of Delta planes have similar sized seats in economy (not economy comfort), and the space under the seat in front of you is usually close in size comparable to most aircraft.

However, I do believe that a good rule of thumb is the smaller the aircraft, the smaller the seat (NOT always, but typically). I know that the Saab turboprops have small seats, so they will have smaller space available. Also, most CRJ 100 and 200 series also have fairly small seats. The -700 and -900 series seem to have larger seats by a little bit. Also, I remember the old Northwest 757-300's had really cramped seats.

Other than that, I recommend you do what I do, and get a nice backpack that fits under all seats. I put the items I'm going to use on the flight in my backpack and pull them out as I desire. My roller board suitcase is compact and it always fits in the overheads.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by gb88
Does anyone know which aircraft have that tiny space available for carry on's under the aisle seats, forcing passengers to place their luggage in the overhead bins? I get really frustrated with not being able to place my carry on under the seat in front of me. After selecting a "preferred" seat, it seems that it should offer equal space for luggage as the middle and window seats. I'd like to avoid those planes, if possible.
Believe DC9s have this issue, the window under-seat is smaller. I had a rolling laptop bag that would fit fine in the middle/aisle, yet not in the window. Not sure about the MD-88s. Believe the A320s are ok.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this info. I fully expect my carry on to not fit on the tiny ERJ's, but when I'm on a full-sized jet, I want to be able to place my luggage under the seat in front of me. It's usually not a problem in first class (unless the entertainment system takes up space), but can be an issue if I am in coach. It doesn't affect the window or middle seat - only the aisle seat.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Platinum
Easy solution - don't choose the aisle seat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.