Wiki Posts
Search

KLM offers "a la carte" meals for $16

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
KLM offers "a la carte" meals for $16

Not sure if this is in addition to the regular free meal or in place of. For $16 I'd hope it would be something better...

So do you think Delta will follow?

We're now offering à la carte meals in economy class on KLM operated flights departing Amsterdam to our US gateways (except to San Francisco).

Customers will have the choice of four à la carte options, from $16 per meal:

• Bella Italia
• Vegetarian
• Indonesian rice dish
• Healthy Japanese
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:36 am

Sounds like the same slop KLM has always offered economy passengers.

Maybe they justify the $16 by peeling off the plastic film from the plastic bowls before they serve it?

And yes, expect Delta to match (probably even before AirFrance announces theirs).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
Sounds like the same slop KLM has always offered economy passengers.
Nah, it sounds like a legit upgrade: http://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prep...te_menu.htm#p1

Scroll down for the actual menus and pictures. I think I'd pay more for BE-esque food in economy, so long as the 'free' option still existed.

For example: Bella Italia

A Bella Italia meal includes the most delicious flavours of Italy!

The starter, served on a bed of mixed lettuce, is an organic veal rib-eye with vitello tonnato sauce garnished with asparagus, roasted sweet pepper and pine nuts.

Next, enjoy a delightful risotto primavera: a creamy Italian rice dish with several different kinds of vegetables.

Alongside is a crispy salad with marinated black and green olives and sweet pepper. Your Italian meal is topped off with a real Italian classic dessert: tiramisu.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
I doubt DL will match this. I doubt they will be able to handle this logistically. So far for KLM this is ex AMS on few routes and I dont expect to see this ex-USA on any routes soon.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:45 am

Thanks for posting that link. At the bottom of the article, it says that the "standard" (or free) offerings will continue to be offered.

In the rare case that the meal you ordered is not available, you can always choose from our standard meals prepared by leading chefs when on board.
"leading chefs" ?? =

Anyone want to take a guess as to how long the free meals will last for? (gosh, am I in a cynical mood today or what?)

Oh, another thing to note is that the e-mail says these meals will **not** be available on flights to & from San Francisco (and only San Francisco). Not sure what's up with that, seeing that KLM also flies to Los Angeles and Vancouver and possibly a few other Left Coast cities.

Last edited by DJMeatBall; Nov 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KP2006
I doubt DL will match this. I doubt they will be able to handle this logistically. So far for KLM this is ex AMS on few routes and I dont expect to see this ex-USA on any routes soon.
Granted, KLM would only have to pull this off for a few flights from the same city right now. But, I suspect it will expand.

I think the real issue would be with handling the ordering in advance, but if DL can do it with special meals -- why not with these REALLY special meals?

Also, my initial thought was that it would be too hard to have catering around the world pull off fancier meals. But, again, if DL can do it for the BE cabin, why not for economy?

The more I think about this, the more I like it. Although, I should add, I too doubt Delta will add this anytime soon. I think they could pull it off, but it doesn't necessarily seem like where we're heading.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:36 pm
mpp

I am not sure this is a bad idea at all if Delta did it and it seems very reasonable. With EC and the ability to purchase BE-like meals this could be a huge benefit; I would also pay $20 for some decent food on a long haul. Now only if EC would offer decent wine with the spirits instead of the boxed stuff....
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:40 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for posting that link. At the bottom of the article, it says that the "standard" (or free) offerings will continue to be offered.

"leading chefs" ?? =

Oh, another thing to note is that the e-mail says these meals will **not** be available on flights to & from San Francisco (and only San Francisco). Not sure what's up with that, seeing that KLM also flies to Los Angeles and Vancouver and possibly a few other Left Coast cities.
Not sure and wondered about that myself, but last time I flew through AMS I seem to recall the SFO flight left from a different terminal/gate area. There may be catering limitations that make logistics for the SFO flight more cumbersome.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

"leading chefs" ?? =
Industry leading, perhaps. Because that says a lot.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
Didn't Song try offering the option to pre-order a hot meal? Or was it a paid hot meal for B.O.B?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
klm-offers-la-carte-meals-for-16-dollars...

ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-...

Goes well with the $15 premium SC drinks...
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Anything to make a buck. And I expect they wouldn't mind if it came with a cost cut for what passengers are offered for free in terms of foodstuff. "Gotta train more customers to pay up more." Welcome to the AF-KL-DL way in an industry populated by lemmings.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I was given the same options for the same $16 charge for my booking in Business.

I thought that the Indonesian meal looked really nice, but I'm not paying $16 extra on top of my Business Class fare for it.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dll
Not sure and wondered about that myself, but last time I flew through AMS I seem to recall the SFO flight left from a different terminal/gate area. There may be catering limitations that make logistics for the SFO flight more cumbersome.
Different terminal? No way. Maybe different gates, although it has to be in the non-Schengen area. Last time I flew AMS-SFO it left from the usual E gates. Maybe because it's not a daily flight (SFO-AMS runs SU, M, W, F, Sa).

The idea itself is not bad. I wouldn't pay $16 for better plane food... because it's still plane food. In most cases I can get something better in the airport for that money. But some people may pay that money and it's a easy buck to make.

Some people want more legroom - you can pay extra for EC. Some people want better food - you can pay extra for it too. The fact that you have a choice is a plus... better than just Y or J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.