Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Policy: MX Delays less than 3 hrs are no longer eligible for compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Policy: MX Delays less than 3 hrs are no longer eligible for compensation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well 1 hour I agree with. 3 hours is another story, esp if it causes you to miss a connection and then perhaps miss something else.

That being said, I've been delayed 24 hrs before and DL didn't offer me anything til I complained.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This was part of the SkyPriority program...increased compensation or an effort of goodwill gestures during major delays. It was actually printed on the promotional materials cycled internally. At the beginning it worked...when there were major delays or problems (2-3 hours mx delay counts in my opinion), they would send you a letter (should be an easily automated process) that would apologize and sometimes contain miles. No need to go overboard, but the letter in itself was a nice offering and a few miles never hurt. Havent gotten one of those in more than a year with more than my fair share of IROPs. Im just wondering why they are chopping some of the SkyPriority benefits that were part of the program.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
This was part of the SkyPriority program...increased compensation or an effort of goodwill gestures during major delays. It was actually printed on the promotional materials cycled internally. At the beginning it worked...when there were major delays or problems (2-3 hours mx delay counts in my opinion), they would send you a letter (should be an easily automated process) that would apologize and sometimes contain miles. No need to go overboard, but the letter in itself was a nice offering and a few miles never hurt. Havent gotten one of those in more than a year with more than my fair share of IROPs. Im just wondering why they are chopping some of the SkyPriority benefits that were part of the program.
I remember getting physical letters in the mail for this. Then I think they went to email. And from there it's probably pretty easy to see where this one went. (Flight status notifications, etc.)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
So I e-mailed Delta through "contact us" and they responded with a $50 delta credit and 5,000 Skymiles. I am a Gold Medallion.

Should I contact them again and let them know that I have spoken with other individuals on the same flight and they received $150 delta credit and ask what caused the difference between the two compensation payouts?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by beofotch
So I e-mailed Delta through "contact us" and they responded with a $50 delta credit and 5,000 Skymiles. I am a Gold Medallion.

Should I contact them again and let them know that I have spoken with other individuals on the same flight and they received $150 delta credit and ask what caused the difference between the two compensation payouts?
They are Platinums. There's part of your answer.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
UA used to have a good track record of fair (as most folks saw it) compensation for MX delays. Especially to elites. Usually miles or e voucher. The CO takeover, er, merger, seems to be reversing that.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
UA used to have a good track record of fair (as most folks saw it) compensation for MX delays. Especially to elites. Usually miles or e voucher. The CO takeover, er, merger, seems to be reversing that.
CO has always been the stingiest of all US carriers for compensation. I have received $25 and $50 vouchers for 6+ hr mechanicals and overnights as a Platinum. Haven't received a voucher yet since dropping to Gold but then again I don't really fly them anymore....only Copa Airlines now.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by aaronhurd
I expect my airline to maintain its fleet properly so that mechanical delays are not commonplace.
Awww memories - about 2 months ago I had a direct flight from TYS-MSP that was delayed 4 hours due to bathroom toilet problems. Never did hear why, I'm not really sure I want to. But we got free booze without a voucher, but the FA was kind of a tool (super annoying friendly type).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
This has been ACS's "new" policy since the summer. Delay must be more then 3 hours to receive the following:
$50 TCV or 2500 miles for domestic
$100 TCV or 5,000 miles international
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:34 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
My friend who used to be an airport RedCoat told me in the past that the "unpublished" comp - DL's fault, of course - was 2-5 hours $100 and 5+ hours $200 for PM/DM and substantially less for SM/GM. Perhaps this is a recent change.

Just over a month ago, I eMailed about how poorly a MX was handled which resulted in a delay of just under 2 hours, and they called me and gave me $200.

Also . . . similar to what zsmith says above . . .

I arrived in PIT from Europe last night, and, I discovered DL3170 DTW/MDT had been diverted to PIT for MX. It ended up being 6 hours late. They were on the concourse PA system telling everyone that they would get a $50 voucher - - and . . . . PEANUTS AND PRETZELS!!!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
As a comparison on AA for a flight cancelled inexplicably:

Please accept our apology for your cancelled flight yesterday. It must have been frustrating; and there is no question that you were inconvenienced.
While on-time performance is a top priority at American, the many uncontrollable factors associated with air travel make some delays and cancellations inevitable. Nevertheless, we should always do everything possible to make such situations a little less frustrating.
As a gesture of goodwill and to encourage your future business, we have added 2,000 bonus miles to each of your AAdvantageŽ accounts. These adjustments will be reflected in your account very soon
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Guess they're getting stingier with the miles, or you have to have higher status and send a complaint to get more. With my usual domestic trip times and routings, a MX will result in a missed connection and overnight stay... and if I get stuck overnight somewhere at Delta's fault then I expect a lot more than a $50 voucher or 2.5k miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.