Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Policy: MX Delays less than 3 hrs are no longer eligible for compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:38 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

I had a nasty 3.5 hour MX delay on the LAX-ATL flight at 10:55 PM last night. We got lucky they had another plane.

I called the 404 number this morning to see what they would offer, and she said she would offer $150 since the delay was longer than 3 hours. But as an FYI, she let me know that a new policy is in effect for MX delays less than 3 hours... no compensation unless it causes you to miss "something major." Her example of that was missing the birth of a child.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no standard for compensation in the Contract of Carriage for delays (including MX related) of less than 4 hours. For MX delays more than 4 hours, according to the Contract of Carriage, all they owe you is a meal voucher (lodging is provided for overnight delays). Sometimes they will automatically throw some miles into your account for delays.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
In the past for 1 or 2 hr delays, I have received compensation. She clearly stated this was a new policy.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I was on that flight too.how miserable it was! What number do ineed to call for the compensation? I am a gold medallion fwiw
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beofotch
I was on that flight too.how miserable it was! What number do ineed to call for the compensation? I am a gold medallion fwiw
What a rodeo! Where were you sitting!!?? I was in 26A

Number is 404-715-2600
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:28 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Ishe let me know that a new policy is in effect for MX delays less than 3 hours... no compensation unless it causes you to miss "something major." Her example of that was missing the birth of a child.
And how would they know if you missed "something major"?

I've never gotten anything other than a meal voucher for a 2-hour delay, and I often had to ask for that and argue that it was appropriate for a 2-hour delay. I've never received any compensation for a 1 or 2 hour MX delay. Any MX delay greater than 2 hours usually ended up in a complete itinerary disruption resulting in meal vouchers and a hotel, but NEVER miles or credit. I guess I am unlucky.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
What a rodeo! Where were you sitting!!?? I was in 26A

Number is 404-715-2600
no UG? Must have been a long list on the GIDS. Well, at least the flight was short, 3 hrs and 41 min
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
no UG? Must have been a long list on the GIDS. Well, at least the flight was short, 3 hrs and 41 min
32 of 56 for 0 seats! PM on a T fare!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I was on a P fare and was in 4d...luckily delta had a decent connection for me up to Clt when I arrived in atl
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Another enhanced policy? Great...
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Do you really expect a $200 TCV every time one of your flights goes MX for an hour?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
Do you really expect a $200 TCV every time one of your flights goes MX for an hour?
32 of 56 for 0 seats! PM on a T fare!
Especially on a T fare that was likely very close to that TCV amount @:-)
Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:31 am

Location: Minneapolis, MN - At least that's where I receive mail...
Programs: DL (DM), AA (EP), SPG (Ambassador), HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by javabytes
I expect my airline to maintain its fleet properly so that mechanical delays are not commonplace.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta publishes a mainline completion factor with every monthly traffic report. Can you point to data that show Delta is consistently an outlier?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by aaronhurd
I expect my airline to maintain its fleet properly so that mechanical delays are not commonplace.
I don't think anybody on this board disagrees with that. It also wasn't my question. The question is what do you think you're entitled to when you do get delayed for an hour? I challenge you to provide other examples of companies that provide substantial compensation for minor complaints on the level that Delta does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.