Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

25,000 SkyMiles for $500 in SkyMall Purchases - ROUND 2 on the way SOON!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25,000 SkyMiles for $500 in SkyMall Purchases - ROUND 2 on the way SOON!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: Nada :(
I should update that I did in the end get back almost all my money and all my miles. I did get shorted ~$200 when one of the cameras that they shipped me was only a T2i with no lens (or the guy on ebay screwed me, I don't know I didn't open the boxes before I sent them).

Seconding that AA miles should be next, or even better Avios miles! Those are worth a ton to people in the south who want to fly to dallas or houston
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by kfennell
I did get shorted ~$200 when one of the cameras that they shipped me was only a T2i with no lens (or the guy on ebay screwed me, I don't know I didn't open the boxes before I sent them).
The latter is most likely. Have the eBay guy send you pictures of the Canon product box. If it's the kit lens box, almost 0% chance SkyMall screwed you and almost 100% it's the eBayer scamming. If it's the body only box, then SkyMall messed up. (Of course, if eBayer is screwing with you, he's probably smart enough to send you a picture of a body-only box. Check the EXIF data on the pic and do an image search on the net to try to backstop his pic to help verify or disprove him taking it.)
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by HansGolden
The latter is most likely. Have the eBay guy send you pictures of the Canon product box. If it's the kit lens box, almost 0% chance SkyMall screwed you and almost 100% it's the eBayer scamming. If it's the body only box, then SkyMall messed up. (Of course, if eBayer is screwing with you, he's probably smart enough to send you a picture of a body-only box. Check the EXIF data on the pic and do an image search on the net to try to backstop his pic to help verify or disprove him taking it.)
I couldn't agree more. I ran an ebay store for over 3 years now and I've heard lots of excuses for why they want a partial refund. Did you give a partial refund or did he start a PayPal dispute? BTW, EXIF data could be changed VERY easily.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Almost there... but where are the price matches?

almost 4 months after the promo and:

1. all my miles have posted
2. 80% of merchandise has been sold on ebay

still waiting for the price matches. have been going back and forth with chris but it seems like my matches keep falling through the cracks. without the matches my cpm is ho-hum.. not sure if i would invest the time to do it again.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by soggytennisballs
almost 4 months after the promo
Dec 1st promo or Sept promo? It is either 5 months or 2 months-ish.

I think they have been very efficient so far. Both the one 5 months ago and this one.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
Dec 1st promo or Sept promo? It is either 5 months or 2 months-ish.

I think they have been very efficient so far. Both the one 5 months ago and this one.
Ah, you are correct. for some reason i was thinking the 2nd promo started in november - probably becasue that's when we started speculating. I should have said "almost 3 months after". Anyhow, it's been 2.5 mos. and i just got word that the price matches have been approved so hopefully i'll have it all wrapped up by the end of the month making it a 3 month project.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by kfennell
I should update that I did in the end get back almost all my money and all my miles. I did get shorted ~$200 when one of the cameras that they shipped me was only a T2i with no lens (or the guy on ebay screwed me, I don't know I didn't open the boxes before I sent them).

Seconding that AA miles should be next, or even better Avios miles! Those are worth a ton to people in the south who want to fly to dallas or houston
Sounds like you got screwed by your buyer. Unfortunately there are many people abusing generous protection plans such as PayPal's buyer protection and Amazon's A-z guarantee. I learnt that with a similar sad story last September: Buyer submitted a chargeback claim through his CC company, first one got denied, second one was granted. Fortunately, Amazon did not find me guilty and absorbed the chargeback. From then on I started taking photos of the serial numbers of whatever I am shipping and taking notes. Never had to use any of them (out of my 28 shipments from my 10 SkyMall orders, I received not a single return or complaint. 26 of them already passed the 30 day A-z period and I don't expect any problem with the remaining two as both are my cheaper filler items) but photos were good insurance that kept my mind in peace.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by gm9928
So, I had received the miles for 7 of my 8 orders and called customer service to figure out for which order miles had not been submitted. He could tell which order it was and told me the reason was that because "the quota had been reached" -- probably referring to the "first 1,000 orders", if I remember correctly. I think he is wrong.

From the order numbers, it was the 5th of my 8 orders, so I know the "quota" excuse was b.s. He took my SkyMiles number and submitted a request or inquiry and I'm supposed to hear back within a few days.

To those still waiting on that last 25k, you may want to call and check.
After another phone call, someone at SkyMall took charge and manually re-submitted my last 25k miles to Delta and they posted today! All in all, 200k miles!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gm9928
After another phone call, someone at SkyMall took charge and manually re-submitted my last 25k miles to Delta and they posted today! All in all, 200k miles!
I just hope everyone at FT understands the difference between these people and the other shopping portals. First class vs cargo IMO!

Now what will the next promo be.. humm..... wait and see me thinks!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:57 pm

I just hope everyone at FT understands the difference between these people and the other shopping portals. First class vs cargo IMO!

I have just re-confirmed this after I saw that the small tax amounts were also refunded to my CC account. I honestly forgot about them but they did not. These people are really awesome.

So, the two rounds produced 342K miles for me. That includes 7K spending miles + 10K MQMs from Amex Delta credit card for the purchases (I would have never got to $25,000K threshold if it wasn't for my 7K SkyMall purchase) and 325K from the two SkyMall promotion. First round: 77K for $250 (0.325 CPM). Second round: 265K for $490 (.185 CPM). Overall: $740 for 342K miles---10K of which is MQM (0.216CPM).

By the way, I love the roll over policy of Delta. I had around 40K MQM last year including above mentioned 10K. I am now only 29 miles short for 2013 silver status. It is either 29 miles or 27 segments whichever comes first
Old Feb 18, 2012, 2:47 am

well said, i agree, now lets wait for the next promo....
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:05 pm

This is definitely true.

I was still waiting on my last 25k miles and emailed them this past weekend. I got a response saying they had made a mistake and my 25k miles should post shortly. I think it got messed up because they item was backordered until after most people had their miles (I just got a delivery of it this last week).

Very good customer service, took no effort on my part just a short 2 sentence email.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:09 pm

Duplicate post.

Last edited by drbobguy; Feb 21, 2012 at 11:38 pm Reason: Duplicate Post.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by stillnk
Overall: $740 for 342K miles---10K of which is MQM (0.216CPM)
Insane. That equates to $130 plus taxes/fees for a roundtrip flight to Europe from the US at low levels. So say $200 r/t to a low-tax destination (I often fly to Kiev, Ukraine and taxes are well under $100).

I've collected close to a million points/miles in the past year, mostly due to CC signups but about 250,000 from these Skymall promos as well as the US Air Grandslam. I've "spent" probably about $1000 total in the process.

When you calculate it up though, it means a roundtrip to Europe (at saver levels) is costing me something like a roundtrip Amtrak ticket NYC<->WAS in the US (which is something I do often). The value is just incredible!

Also while there are cheap flights, I've found that in the past few years finding discount fares to Europe has become much harder, so my miles are worth more Of course available award seats can be hard to find too, but when you have miles spread across 5-6 programs in all 3 alliances you can almost always find something as long as you are willing to fly into an airport within a few hours of ground transit time. I guess it helps to live near NYC too.

As someone who isn't raking in the big bucks, the difference between shelling out $200 and $1000 for a flight to Europe is huge. For a one-week vacation I would never spend $1000 just to get to my destination, let alone pay for things. But at $200 I can take a one- or even two-week vacation for $1000 all included. That's tremendous value for me.

Thanks again Skymall!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drbobguy
Insane. That equates to $130 plus taxes/fees for a roundtrip flight to Europe from the US at low levels. So say $200 r/t to a low-tax destination (I often fly to Kiev, Ukraine and taxes are well under $100).

I've collected close to a million points/miles in the past year, mostly due to CC signups but about 250,000 from these Skymall promos as well as the US Air Grandslam. I've "spent" probably about $1000 total in the process.

When you calculate it up though, it means a roundtrip to Europe (at saver levels) is costing me something like a roundtrip Amtrak ticket NYC<->WAS in the US (which is something I do often). The value is just incredible!

Also while there are cheap flights, I've found that in the past few years finding discount fares to Europe has become much harder, so my miles are worth more Of course available award seats can be hard to find too, but when you have miles spread across 5-6 programs in all 3 alliances you can almost always find something as long as you are willing to fly into an airport within a few hours of ground transit time. I guess it helps to live near NYC too.

As someone who isn't raking in the big bucks, the difference between shelling out $200 and $1000 for a flight to Europe is huge. For a one-week vacation I would never spend $1000 just to get to my destination, let alone pay for things. But at $200 I can take a one- or even two-week vacation for $1000 all included. That's tremendous value for me.

Thanks again Skymall!
..... if only we could make other understand why and how we do what we do? ah well... at lease we can enjoy! I am gearing up for my next big churn (hello MR 25k) and plan to net another 200K+ and then the next promo on top of that. good to be us right?^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.