Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeye Rudeness - Pilot as Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Sooo... a passenger was talking while on board the airplane, you glared and made rude gestures, and you are surprised he ignored you?

Believe it or not, when people are glared at and rudely gestured at, perhaps the least noxious reaction is going to be to ignore the rude gestures.
another passenger -- an admitted DL pilot on leave -- was talking at an inconsiderately high volume on a late-night flight ... I could clearly hear him from four rows away, and he carried on for at least 20 min at a time when I could not do anything about it directly

while I am not particularly surprised that I got no response, I am venting about the general lack of courtesy (sorry, I guess my 1950s-1960s upbringing is showing)

I am also starting to get a bit annoyed at the number of stick-in-the-eye responses to rants of this nature in many threads throughout FT, but that's another story (same parenthetical as above)
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by fti
Yes it was. I was also helping you to overcome jet lag quicker. If you want the window shade completely closed, book a window seat yourself next time
WOW!

I get over jet lag just fine my way. Flying back from Asia to ATL, I arrive on the redeye, go straight to work and 0 lost time.

But please tell me how I can book EVERY window seat to keep people like you from being jerks about respecting others.

Seriously, if you can not understand why you are being a total a**, I am almost sorry for you.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by jrl22
another passenger -- an admitted DL pilot on leave -- was talking at an inconsiderately high volume on a late-night flight ... I could clearly hear him from four rows away, and he carried on for at least 20 min at a time when I could not do anything about it directly

while I am not particularly surprised that I got no response, I am venting about the general lack of courtesy (sorry, I guess my 1950s-1960s upbringing is showing)

I am also starting to get a bit annoyed at the number of stick-in-the-eye responses to rants of this nature in many threads throughout FT, but that's another story (same parenthetical as above)
With all due respect, the courteous response to someone perhaps speaking too loudly is to say, "Excuse me, sir, would you mind speaking a bit more softly?" If you could hear him, he could have heard you.

My only point here is that maturity and courtesy flows both ways.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
With all due respect, the courteous response to someone perhaps speaking too loudly is to say, "Excuse me, sir, would you mind speaking a bit more softly?" If you could hear him, he could have heard you.

My only point here is that maturity and courtesy flows both ways.
and my point is that I was exercising what I thought was a degree of discretion ... had I been in 10A I would have done as you suggest in the first 2-3 min, but I was not -- esp on a redeye -- about to be equally discourteous to the rest of the F pax by talking at least as loudly as he was ...
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Just wanted to point out that just because a Delta employee is flying and not in uniform doesn't make them non-rev.

I would have let the FA handle it. A polite "could you please ask the passenger back in row 10 to speak a little softer, please?" would probably have gotten it taken care of quickly. Most employees I've met are very aware of what courtesy on a flight means.

If someone gestured to me the way the OP did, they'd probably get to watch me scratching my forehead with my middle finger extended and a snide grin on my face as I kept talking. Not that I try to be obnoxious and bother other pax.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by jrl22
I glared back at him several times, thought there was eye contact, gestured "Cut" and put my finger to my lips ... no reaction, no change in volume ...
Wonder if you being an ... hole was part of the reason the passenger kept talking. to you
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
Just wanted to point out that just because a Delta employee is flying and not in uniform doesn't make them non-rev.

I would have let the FA handle it. A polite "could you please ask the passenger back in row 10 to speak a little softer, please?" would probably have gotten it taken care of quickly. Most employees I've met are very aware of what courtesy on a flight means. ...

1- I said "on leave" ... not "non-rev"

2- all my non-verbal communication occurred during taxi, takeoff, and the first 5-10 min of flight, and I ultimately DID let the FAs handle it at the first opportunity after they got out of their seats to begin service
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by bennos
Interesting... could you tell me where this right is specifically enumerated? Does it apply in movie theaters, too?
I think it's in the same section that describes how you have the right to pick your nose and flick your snot all around the cabin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.