Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade list lice.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
I guess I don't understand the SDC game. SDC'ers book into FC before the upgrades are processed at the gate? Like in Denal1's case (where he's a DM on a high fare and number 1 on the UG with 3 FC seats available), the SDC'ers get booked into those 3 FC seats before he even has a chance...?

rwoman
is spot on. You do not book straight into F but if you are a DM you get put on the list inside 3 hours and if there were a bunch of PM's or DMs on lower fares they're out of luck.

I stand by my statement that SDC provides FAR more gaming opportunities than the 72 change issue DL claims needed to be fixed.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If I have time and the chance of F UG does not look good I will SDC onto a different flight with a higher UG probability.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpp
Did someone not show and the gate agent moved me up? But how did the gate agent know someone was not showing? Perhaps someone SDC to another flight? Missed connection? Would the gate agent even know this?
Could be any of those. The gate agent will not care but 15 mins before the flight..if you are not there you come off the list.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Yup. SDC can be brutal, esp in Diamond heavy hubs.
Yea...I was in The Diamond capital of the world, Kalispell Montana. Was #1 of 4 on the list just before boarding....Flight was FCA - MSP. Another flight FCA - SLC was oversold and they were having trouble getting volunteers. I think someone got an FC seat to switch flights. No big deal, it was only 2 hrs. However, $1100 for RT coach ticket, now that hurts!!!

Last edited by Denal1; Oct 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Denal1
Yea...I was in The Diamond capital of the world, Kalispell Montana. Was #1 of 4 on the list just before boarding....Flight was FCA - MSP. Another flight FCA - SLC was oversold and they were having trouble getting volunteers. I think someone got an FC seat to switch flights. No big deal, it was only 2 hrs. However, $1100 for RT coach ticket, now that hurts!!!
IDB and VDB F tickets seems to trump all.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As a FO, I love checking in at exactly 24 hours so I can delude myself by seeing "#1 of 1 on the Upgrade List". It's also fun to check back every hour or so and watch how rapidly I fall.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
As a FO, I love checking in at exactly 24 hours so I can delude myself by seeing "#1 of 1 on the Upgrade List". It's also fun to check back every hour or so and watch how rapidly I fall.
There are worse things than being #25 of 40. The worst position is #1 of 40 with no FC seats available, because as #25 is settling into the exit row with Carry-on in bin, #1 is sitting out in the gate area hoping for a miracle that almost never comes......
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mpp
What about when the opposite happens. What do you think is going on there?

Yesterday I was 4 of 27 with three seats left. I arrived at the gate about 20 minutes before departure (and obviously they started boarding early as the gate area was completely empty). I go to board and what do you know, I get the beep-beep-beep and a seat assignment for 3B comes out (which is my favorite on the 738).

Did someone not show and the gate agent moved me up? But how did the gate agent know someone was not showing? Perhaps someone SDC to another flight? Missed connection? Would the gate agent even know this?
Most likely an SDC to another flight or an outright cancellation. Plenty of people cancel even in the minutes leading up to a flight. It's not likely to be a missed connection, as GAs won't bust seats until T-15... unless there really is no chance of making it (i.e. the flight is still 90 minutes away).
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
There are worse things than being #25 of 40. The worst position is #1 of 40 with no FC seats available, because as #25 is settling into the exit row with Carry-on in bin, #1 is sitting out in the gate area hoping for a miracle that almost never comes......
Amen, brother. I'd rather know I have no shot and then can board and find overhead space then play chicken with the upgrade and/or overhead.

I'm now #2 of a bunch for 5 seats on LAX-DTW in the morning (18 hours to go). I figure I'll be right on the bubble come morning, hoping some high flyer partied really late and is too hung over to make the flight.

And rubbing salt in the wound it looks like we are going out of T6 so less time in the SkyClub. LAX-DTW has proven tougher for me over the past couple years than LAX-JFK!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Amen, brother. I'd rather know I have no shot and then can board and find overhead space then play chicken with the upgrade and/or overhead.

I'm now #2 of a bunch for 5 seats on LAX-DTW in the morning (18 hours to go). I figure I'll be right on the bubble come morning, hoping some high flyer partied really late and is too hung over to make the flight.

And rubbing salt in the wound it looks like we are going out of T6 so less time in the SkyClub. LAX-DTW has proven tougher for me over the past couple years than LAX-JFK!
Ooh 5 seats! (SDC target acquired and locked).
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Ooh 5 seats! (SDC target acquired and locked).
Funny you mention this. I'm actually convinced that there is some property of physics whereby every time someone checks the upgrade list, a higher ranking person is added to the list.

While you may have been joking, I think when someone checks the list, that action causes some strange and unknown molecular realignment that results in a phenomenon whereby a DM on an M fare is subconsciously provoked to SDC.

Working on the equation now, be back with you in 2056.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by houserulz77

Working on the equation now, be back with you in 2056.
If you hop into the now closed "Incredibly rude flight attendant" thread I think the OP of that one has a time machine and can help you get to 2056 and back with the formula. I believe the OP was able to use the time machine to get to NRT is less than a day and then hang in MEX and Brazil with Justin Bieber.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by avidflyer
If you hop into the now closed "Incredibly rude flight attendant" thread I think the OP of that one has a time machine and can help you get to 2056 and back with the formula. I believe the OP was able to use the time machine to get to NRT is less than a day and then hang in MEX and Brazil with Justin Bieber.
You people are so skeptical!!!!!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
That's me last Friday at LAX.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
a true Y ticket is UG gold!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.