Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Silver/Gold worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:20 pm

Location: Based in DCA, but spending much time in Chile, Arizona, northern England, and airports
Programs: DL PM; Delta Amex Reserve
Yes, FO is worth it, and GM is a big step up. I fly out of a small regional airport (BMI) which still has a fair share of PMs and DMs. I've had a good percentage of upgrades to ATL (probably 75% as an FO), although on such a short flight it doesn't matter a great deal. But I've also gotten upgraded to F on ATL-PHX 100% of the time (3 for 3). It helps that I can often travel off-peak. Most of my travel is fairly long international runs, and so having access to the Sky Clubs as a GM is great. I got an Amex Plat card and underestimated how much I'd spend, so I've ended up as a PM this year when I would have rather stopped at 74,000 and stayed at GM for another year. Both are definitely worth going for.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Delta Reserve, Singapore Silver, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
As a former SM and current GM, about to hit PM it is totally worth it if you are going to fly Delta. I rarely look at other airlines. Last year I used DL, AA, B6, US and NK, but once I hit SM I never looked back. I hit my thresholds from my DL Reserve and flying.

GM gives you a decent upgrade percentage, SkyPriority, SkyTeam lounge access on international trips, free bags, priority boarding, priority seating, discounts on EC etc.

I had a 50% upgrade success as SM based at DCA.

Evaluate your travel. Once you pick an airline stick with it if you really want to reap the benefits.

And you can find lower mile awards, just book early and don't plan on traveling a peak times. It also depends on where you want to go.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:46 pm

Are prospects for a silver really that good out of JFK/LGA?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nfg05
Are prospects for a silver really that good out of JFK/LGA?
I'm an FO and got upgraded on LGA-DTW on Tuesday. Only JFK flights I have flown are LAX (tough for DMs/PMs) and int'l (no medallion upgrades), so can't speak much there.

I've also gotten upgraded EWR-ATL, but I think that had more to do with it being a Saturday morning.

And yes, I will say that being an FO is MUCH better than being just a regular flyer. You get to use priority check-in (which has saved me so much angst not having to wait in the general line when I have bags -- which also fly free!) and have a shot at upgrades. If you don't get the upgrade (I have an upcoming MR with 4 segments, looks like I'll only get 1 upgrade at the window), then you at least get an exit row seat or sit near the front for easy deplaning. You also get better treatment in general, especially in IRROPS (calling the FO line, I've never had a wait more than 1-2 minutes, even when the general passenger next to me has been on the phone for 10+).

Of course, now that I've been an FO for a while, I'm ready to hit GM soon (hence, the MR) so that I can get better perks, like easier upgrades (I would have cleared 4/4 on my MR if I was GM), upgrades on award tickets before FO window, Skyteam Elite+ (lounge access when flying international), 100% mileage bonus (instead of 25%), and Sky Priority (zone 1 boarding + priority security) when not upgraded. These statuses only help if you actually fly DL and since I have moved all of my flying to SkyTeam (about 25K-40K depending on the year), GM seems like a good tier for me with rollover MQMs. I get all my MQMs from BIS, so no AMEX or gifts here

Last edited by amolkold; Sep 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I'm a humble GM (and always will be - my status is earned BIS only, and I'm typically a 50,000 mile flyer on DL as I give my longhaul Itnl business to UA and use DL primarily for US/Transborder).

GM is, IMHO, very much worth it.

I guess for me it makes flying bearable. SkyPriority is great and can be a real lifesaver during holidays / busy travel times.

The premium seats (exit rows) for early bookers are also worth their weight in gold.

Service fee waived telephone bookings and the Medallion desk (Even during wild weather/IROPS, I've rarely waited more than 5 minutes to get through, and usually it's almost instant).

Then, the upgrades.

I just cleared 5 days out (yes, way ahead of window) for LAS-MSP-YYC, and on my last trip was upgraded on almost all legs as a GM. Given I'm doing ATL-LAS, ATL-PHX long 4 hour flights, this again is a huge benefit.

So in short, I think GM is still (despite the many erosions to the SM program) well worth striving for. It definitely keeps me loyal to DL for my US/Canada travel. I will pay quite a bit more to fly on DL if needs be, or take a less desirable schedule. The benefits make up for it.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:29 pm

I think GM is such a huge step up from FO that it's worth going for, even at high cost. Opening the Reserve for the 10K signup + 15K spend threshold is worth the $450 alone, without the reserve benefits.

No way you get 25K MQM for $450 on an MR these days (1.8 cents per MQM), and with the threshold bonus 1.5 miles per $ on all spending is not a shabby return given 1.5 cpm redemptions for SkyPesos are quite doable. SPG points offer better value, but if given the choice I would take airline status over hotel status any day.

Free SDC and 100% RDM bonus are enough to make GM worth it, not to mention int'l lounge access and Zone 1 boarding.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nfg05
I think GM is such a huge step up from FO that it's worth going for, even at high cost. Opening the Reserve for the 10K signup + 15K spend threshold is worth the $450 alone, without the reserve benefits.

No way you get 25K MQM for $450 on an MR these days (1.8 cents per MQM), and with the threshold bonus 1.5 miles per $ on all spending is not a shabby return given 1.5 cpm redemptions for SkyPesos are quite doable. SPG points offer better value, but if given the choice I would take airline status over hotel status any day.

Free SDC and 100% RDM bonus are enough to make GM worth it, not to mention int'l lounge access and Zone 1 boarding.
Are you saying you get 25,000 MQMs/year just for having the Reserve Card??
Old Sep 11, 2011, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Are you saying you get 25,000 MQMs/year just for having the Reserve Card??
10K MQMs after first purchase (one-time only, I believe)
15K MQMs after $30,000 on the card each calendar year
15K MQMs after $60,000 on the card each calendar year (on top of the 15K from $30K spend)

The first year, you can get up to 40K MQMs; any year after that, up to 30K.

Sadly, I've had to move a paid int'l trip on DL/AF from Dec. to January, meaning I'll be stuck about 14K short of GM. I really need to think about going for it now.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:12 pm
Suspended

That card doesn't look like a deal to me. Why would I spend $30,000 to get 15,000 MQMs while I could get a ticket at 5cpm and spend $750 to get 15,000 MQMs?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Yes, it is worth it. If you're going to stick to DL and stick to the SkyMiles program, it is most certainly worth it.

Sure, GM and up is a big step up from Silver but since I turned Silver back in early August, my travel experience has been much better. I'm 4/6 on upgrades so far, my home base being MCO and I look forward to increasing travel in the coming weeks and months and making my way up to GM as soon as possible.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
That card doesn't look like a deal to me. Why would I spend $30,000 to get 15,000 MQMs while I could get a ticket at 5cpm and spend $750 to get 15,000 MQMs?
If you're going to spend the $30k anyway, you may as well earn the MQM's. You also get priority boarding and 1st bag free regardless of status, plus a free companion certificate good for economy or first/biz.

I strongly considered this card, but decided intsead on the AMEX platinum.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pete838
If you're going to spend the $30k anyway, you may as well earn the MQM's. You also get priority boarding and 1st bag free regardless of status, plus a free companion certificate good for economy or first/biz.

I strongly considered this card, but decided intsead on the AMEX platinum.
You also get DL SkyClub access, although the AMEX Platinum does too.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jaguar
Definitely go for it. The only negative with Delta now is redeeming SkyMiles.
LOL
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Pete838
If you're going to spend the $30k anyway, you may as well earn the MQM's.
This. You're not spending the $30,000 on stuff you wouldn't otherwise buy just to get the MQMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.