Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What do you do in a Battleground Upgrade situation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do in a Battleground Upgrade situation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Good Advice

Originally Posted by naijaman
Make your intentions known to the GA, because some GA's are known to close the aircraft doors with an unoccupied FC seats.

If GA insists that you board, politely alert the FAs that you are #1 on the upgrade list, incase the door closes with an open FC seat.

lazy GA's do exist at some airports like PIT, because i have seen FC go out with empty seats and DM/PM/GM's in the back...
Really very solid advice from Ninjaman. Let them know you are there and watching.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
sometimes, I'll buy up to a higher fare. Increase my chances, and if the corresponding UG inventory is available, then I'll use a SWU.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
JFK to ATL yesterday on a 763. 47 on the upgrade list with 4 F seats showing available when I boarded. After everyone had boarded, there were 13 empty seats up front. The GA came on and brought up one DM. The rest of the seats flew empty. Guess nobody wanted to wait around to make sure F had boarded full.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DaChief
JFK to ATL yesterday on a 763. 47 on the upgrade list with 4 F seats showing available when I boarded. After everyone had boarded, there were 13 empty seats up front. The GA came on and brought up one DM. The rest of the seats flew empty. Guess nobody wanted to wait around to make sure F had boarded full.
The whole Delta "board and lose" process is nuts. Since I have been flying UA the UG stress level is at 0%. If I do not get the advanced EUA I just get to the gate 15 minutes prior and the GA will announce who should stick around. If I do not hear my name I board. UA processes most upgrades before boarding and they are very aware of who has a shot. Yesterday on the LAX-BOS flight I did not get the advanced UG and when I went to board the GA saw my name (she was looking for me...no double beep) and told me to stand to the side as I was likely going to clear. I did.

The Delta process is full of stress and messed up rules. I do not miss it one bit.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, Hertz Gold
As a PM I was no. 7 on the UG list for ATL - LAX. I stuck around the gate whilst everybody boarded and watched my name go up to no. 3. I then politely asked the GA whether the two missing passengers were from a connecting flight. She said yes. I waited some more. Finally, as the door was closing, I reminded her that I was still there. Voila. I got the last upgrade. Looking over my shoulder as my BP pass was scanned, I saw no. 1 and 2. running breathlessly up to the gate. One of them even got my old sat in Y. If you're willing to give up overhead space, it always pays to wait.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: DL -DM / 2MM, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum
None of this means anything to me. A couple years ago another FT'er turned me on to the luxury of being the last person to board the plane. I tried it and have done it on every flight since. Out on the concourse I have all the room I want, can stretch my legs and keep my butt out of the seat as long as possible. Once the GA announces final boarding I simply go take my seat.

It is ridiculous to see how many flyers value their BIS hours rather than their BIS miles. Go figure.....
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by avidflyer
If the flight is packed and you need overhead space board or you may get gate checked. Otherwise I would hang out.
I weigh my decision to board or not on three factors:

1) How good is my coach seat? The better it is, the less likely I am to care about an upgrade.
2) How much do I need the overhead space? Those who have to pay for bags want to carry everything on, but as a PM I neither have to pay for bags nor wait all that long to pick them up, so the advantage to carry on is minimal. I now try to check a bag (for trips of longer duration) when I can to reduce the impact of that factor.
3) How high on the upgrade list am I? If I am #1 or #2, I may stay around. If lower, probably not.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:16 am

About a month ago, they came back to Mrs. Ken's seat and brought her up front. This past Tue. I was #1 with 0 available and boarded. The gate agent came on board and yelled from the front of coach "1C is available if Mr KenfromDL would like it." Had to leave my bag in the Y overhead. ^
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: DL EOS...
If/when it's borderline #1 or 2 of, etc. I make a point to catch the GA attention when not too busy and just ask if I should wait or board. Most of the time they've said to go ahead and board and if a "no show" happened they would come and get me.

Doing this I've been "saved" from coach twice this year. Plus during hurricane Irene, GA told me to wait and as next to last boarding, scanned my BP and the sweet sound of printing turned into a big seat! The very last pax to board behind me apparently got my vacated seat.

bfug, 'like that...
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold
On my last flight from JFK-lax (which is a very bg competitive route for those that don't know) I was #4 on the list with 3 seats available. They cleared the 3 so i was #1 w/0 seats avail. Knowing from ft that if I board I loose my spot I politely asked the ga If f was fully boarded and he said there was 1 person that didn't board yet. I politely told him that I was next on the list and will stay close by if there's a no show. Now I'm not sure what the protocol is in this situation but the ga did process my upgrade fairly quickly, way before the door closed. Maybe he checked if the person that didn't board was still on a different flight and knew he wasn't going to make it but I was really happy that I didn't board and would suggest that anyone in a similar position as I was to wait. The only negative if I didn't clear would have been to loose the overhead space but for me that's a risk worth taking for a 6+ hr flight.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kino
As a PM I was no. 7 on the UG list for ATL - LAX. I stuck around the gate whilst everybody boarded and watched my name go up to no. 3. I then politely asked the GA whether the two missing passengers were from a connecting flight. She said yes. I waited some more. Finally, as the door was closing, I reminded her that I was still there. Voila. I got the last upgrade. Looking over my shoulder as my BP pass was scanned, I saw no. 1 and 2. running breathlessly up to the gate. One of them even got my old sat in Y. If you're willing to give up overhead space, it always pays to wait.
Yet one more example of why I hate DL inconsistency. Now I feel like I have to fend for myself vs rely on DL's inconsistent execution of the rules.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
to the GA and to you as well. You basically screwed someone else, but it sounds like you are happy about the overall outcome ... I guess others will have a different feeling.
Here is what the GA said according to peezondeez: "She said that the person hasnt come yet, and it might be available, and to board the plane and if it is still free, she will come and get him." Notice the she said "if it is still free".

I don't see how anyone got screwed. What she said was literally true for if all of the UG eligible passengers had boarded along with #1, and the FC seat was unfilled, then the seat would have remained open and she would have came and got him. But guess what? It didn't remain open because there was a new number one on the UG list after #1 boarded. The new number one got the seat which means it did not remain open.

Everyone in this forum should continue to keep this process as obtuse and opaque as possible and make it seem impossible to comprehend. It is way too hard to understand and it is unfair because you cannot trust the GA therefore my advice to all is board as soon as possible. Cut down on your stress and board with Zone 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.