Wiki Posts
Search

FA Safety Lapse - Suggested Action?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, CO PE
FA Safety Lapse - Suggested Action?

Today (Sunday, July 17) on Flt 4331 RDU-JFK, a small RJ with a single FA, I sat in 2B and observed the FA sit in the unoccupied seat 1C (not the jump seat), on both take-off AND landing WITHOUT fastening her seat belt either time.

At first, I thought perhaps the jump seat was broken (??) - although would it even be permissible to leave the airport with that broken? But when I noticed that she also failed to fasten her belt I was really dumbstruck.

I had a clear diagonal view of the situation - and payed close attention as I found it odd that she even sat in 1C to begin with. I didn't 'miss' her buckling and unbuckling her belt, because she didn't - I watched without blinking.

Question is, this seems to be a significant error in judgement and, as much as I dislike the idea of reporting it, I just can't let it go. Had a situation occurred, as the only FA on board, she would have been completely out of commission and unable to respond. Unacceptable. That behavior endangers my life and everyone else's aboard.

To whom is this best reported? And most directly?

Anyone have experience in reporting such an event and the likelihood that your report was heard?

Thanks,

J
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:21 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Not a good thing to happen, but I really can't believe you "watched without blinking." That reduces the credibility of your story unfortunately - don't say that to DL if you write, since it really is not possible.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:23 pm
Suspended

I was on an CO CUN-EWR flight. No PDBs, the Male FA simply sat and ready a magazine in the jump seat the entire taxi and takeoff roll. No drinks for about 40 minutes - he was reading an article. Dinner choices were offered as "sandwich or salad."

Trays sat so long that the couple across from us took theirs up to the (empty) galley. Another FA who went up and down through the F cabin, once when flagged down, "I am working in the back" and ran away. Other FAs would hurry through to ensure nobody could flag them down. Moreover, the entire FA group seemed to have mistimed landing and were rushing around, and in fact never got around to collecting glasses in F.

I didn't complain but you should write DL. Let the bad apples know their actions have consequences.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
While I've never seen this in person, I have seen reports on FT of FAs sitting in passenger seats. Typically it's in the context of someone missing their upgrade because a jump seat was inoperable & a FA took a passenger seat.

FWIW if the jump seat is inoperable the flight can go without maintenance fixing it, but in that case a passenger seat must be made available for the FA...hence the FA on your flight seated in 1C which one would think is good positioning in the event of an emergency.

Given your concerns you should definitely report your observations. You can do so via delta.com. From the home page there is a link at the very top for comment/complaint.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL SM, PC Gold Elite
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Actually, if the jump seat is inoperative it is acceptable for the flight attendant to sit in a nearby isle seat. The rules vary by plane and depending on the airline but it is acceptable from the FAA. One time on an AS 737 the flight attendant asked me to sit in coach for takeoff and landing because of a problem with the jump seat, it wasn't a big deal. I'm wondering if perhaps you maybe miss saw the seat belt since you were more concerned about the FA being in 1C, did they have to brace themselves on landing? I would think not having a seat belt on during landing would cause some visible shifting on landing...

Seems to me that there are other things to worry about then reporting this…
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by thomj001
Today (Sunday, July 17) on Flt 4331 RDU-JFK, a small RJ with a single FA, I sat in 2B and observed the FA sit in the unoccupied seat 1C (not the jump seat), on both take-off AND landing WITHOUT fastening her seat belt either time.

At first, I thought perhaps the jump seat was broken (??) - although would it even be permissible to leave the airport with that broken? But when I noticed that she also failed to fasten her belt I was really dumbstruck.

I had a clear diagonal view of the situation - and payed close attention as I found it odd that she even sat in 1C to begin with. I didn't 'miss' her buckling and unbuckling her belt, because she didn't - I watched without blinking.

Question is, this seems to be a significant error in judgement and, as much as I dislike the idea of reporting it, I just can't let it go. Had a situation occurred, as the only FA on board, she would have been completely out of commission and unable to respond. Unacceptable. That behavior endangers my life and everyone else's aboard.

To whom is this best reported? And most directly?

Anyone have experience in reporting such an event and the likelihood that your report was heard?

Thanks,

J
Get real. So you have determined that this is endangering everyones life and you do nothing?! Geezs.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:31 pm

You sat right across the aisle from the FA during the flight why didn't you ask the FA directly. Nothing rude, just simple, perhaps, "I can't help but notice you are sitting in a passenger seat, Is there something wrong with the jumpseat?"
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL SM, PC Gold Elite
OP was already displeased she was sitting in 1C so they chose to "STARE WITHOUT BLINKING" as she did not buckle up.

So let me get this straight you sat there and stared at her as a result of her sitting in 1C. Thus, you witnessed such a travesty of her possibly not putting on her seatbelt (while sitting in your presence even!). If you were that concerned about it a simple lighthearted don't forget your seatbelt should've sufficed if you were that concerned with her actions.

tl;dr
let it go.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
You should have not let it go on the plane... now, it is just tacky...
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Most likely the JumpSeat was deferred which is why she occupied 1C... which has most direct view of the primary exit (pax door).. and how can you be sure she wasn't using her seatbelt. 50 seat RJs in row 1ABCD don't have moveable armrests, they have a solid partition next to the seat where the tray table is stowed (so there is no way to see if the belt was buckled or not).. but maybe she buckled herself in real quiet and you just didn't hear it... unless you have absolute proof of the seatbelt, which you don't. Why bother reporting it?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I've had a FA sit in 1B on a CR2 because the jump seat was broken. I didn't notice if she was buckled in or not nor did I care.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
suggested action = let it go
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
You should have not let it go on the plane... now, it is just tacky...
Exactly why I advised reporting it after the fact, only you worded it better.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM
This past Friday I was on a small (I believe the CRJ-50 commuter) from SDF-ATL on my way home to FLL.

Not sure if the FA misjudged his timing, but he was collecting the last of the trash when we were no more than a minute from landing. I knew he would not make it to his jump seat in time. He went to the front of the plane and just as we touched down, he braced himself against the wall in the service area - had not time to even sit down.

It was a pretty smooth landing, but I had never seen any person actually standing up as the flight landed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.