FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FA Safety Lapse - Suggested Action?
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:10 pm
thomj001

Programs: DL PM, CO PE
FA Safety Lapse - Suggested Action?

Today (Sunday, July 17) on Flt 4331 RDU-JFK, a small RJ with a single FA, I sat in 2B and observed the FA sit in the unoccupied seat 1C (not the jump seat), on both take-off AND landing WITHOUT fastening her seat belt either time.

At first, I thought perhaps the jump seat was broken (??) - although would it even be permissible to leave the airport with that broken? But when I noticed that she also failed to fasten her belt I was really dumbstruck.

I had a clear diagonal view of the situation - and payed close attention as I found it odd that she even sat in 1C to begin with. I didn't 'miss' her buckling and unbuckling her belt, because she didn't - I watched without blinking.

Question is, this seems to be a significant error in judgement and, as much as I dislike the idea of reporting it, I just can't let it go. Had a situation occurred, as the only FA on board, she would have been completely out of commission and unable to respond. Unacceptable. That behavior endangers my life and everyone else's aboard.

To whom is this best reported? And most directly?

Anyone have experience in reporting such an event and the likelihood that your report was heard?

Thanks,

J