Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Notifies EAS, May Drop up to 24 (PMNW) markets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Notifies EAS, May Drop up to 24 (PMNW) markets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:56 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I think 300K a year for all 24 destinations is probably low. I know I use one of these airports and they have 60+ pax a day (more in the summer). About 20K pax a year at this point. And it is not one of the larger airports/areas on the list.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:02 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by hazelrah
KLM does have a point here. I looked through the thread here and did not see any else make the point. How much less feed to MSP will there be as a result? Maybe 500 passengers a day?

It may seem a smallish number but it does add up over time. Remember this is round two for Delta killing feed to MSP, Delta already backed-out of of about 8 other cities. How much longer 'til B terminal is a ghost pier?

It's amazing how a corporation can try to put out the message "nothing personal we love MSP" and then turn around and dismantle it and its feed.
Apart from pulling the EAS flights, capacity cuts are being made all over DL's network due to fuel prices and to match demand. Not saying that they aren't reducing MSP traffic, but MSP is not at all unique with reduced flights.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bpe
Apart from pulling the EAS flights, capacity cuts are being made all over DL's network due to fuel prices and to match demand. Not saying that they aren't reducing MSP traffic, but MSP is not at all unique with reduced flights.
As a percentage of ASMs, I believe MSP will see the lowest capacity reductions of any hub this winter except DTW.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM-KM,BA,AA,HH,MRTPlat,Choice
Originally Posted by pbarnette
This is being more than generous. Someone like MSL would be lucky to sniff 10k pax in a year. And MSL is one of the BIGGER communities/regions that is losing service!
Speaking from a personal perspective I hate that Delta made this decision, but from a business perspective, I completely understand. Our community has not supported air service like they could/should have so we really have nobody to blame but ourselves. HSV is only 60 miles away so for a lot of folks, they have more choices from there. I'm going to miss the $2/day parking and being home in 10 minutes that's for sure. Supposedly, Delta has committed to RJ service here starting Sept. 1 so it will be interesting to see if this will have any effect on pax count here.....
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I'm also surprised about the PLN service. Always used to take it a few times in summer and it had good load factors (80%+). Maybe they'll bring it back next summer as a seasonal route for future.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Let me use Cranky's illustrative map to show why the .... this doesn't matter.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...5&source=embed

Drive over an hour to another airport; that's what I do in a non-EAS market for better flight times and lower fares. At the end of the day the business travelers weren't spending enough money on these flights to justify them.

The EAS is some ....... attempt to placate rural voters and wastes tax $. There's no reason to subsidize air service with federal tax $, especially with the deficit continuing to balloon.

Originally Posted by nabbyfan
And I'm a customer that they make way more than they deserve off of by ripping me off for a 40 minute CRJ ride to MSP. I understand that it isnt cheap to operate flights to these markets, but if they werent stupid they would stop trying to make so many turns a day work in a CRJ and go with one or two mainline a day or keep the Saab, which is nearly perfect for all of these markets.
Thanks armchair CEO.

Originally Posted by simuflite
Profitable.
Something these flights weren't.

With all due respect, this is just a silly comment. Most of the these communities don't have the resources to "pass the hat and guarantee revenue" as you say. To be sure some do have small businesses that are vibrant, but not in a scale to provide a subsidy. Unfortunately no good alternatives (like rail that they have in Europe) exist.
If 2x daily air service is what makes your rural business un0competitive, you're in the wrong business.

I'll grant that things have changed in many ways since Delta acquired these markets, not the least of which is high cost of oil, still, Northwest made a go of it in these markets and Delta can't or won't. The issue is partially linked with the demise of the SAABs and Mesaba, a demise that was initiated under NW bankruptcy management and furthered by Delta.
Delta did and decided it wasn't worth it.

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
I used to travel to many of these small places in a previous job. Whenever I asked people who lived there if they used their local airport they almost always laughed and then said they made the drive to XYZ econo hub or spoke for better fares and direct flights. Time to pull the plug on the EAS.

Country folk are used to driving long distances. They do live in the COUNTRY after all.
Logic...

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Delta is going to eliminate as much of the added value that Northwest provided to the nation and to its customers as possible.
What value?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
As DL isn't a public sector utility-- even as DL relies upon public sector allowances -- these cuts shouldn't be a surprise. DL will do a lot of things to try to make more money, and cutting itself into "profitability" like this is just another sign of that. AA and UA/CO are on the same path. Lemmings, the lot of them.
What other course of action would you suggest, not stemming the bleeding and dying of 1,000 cuts?

Originally Posted by sxf24
I guess capitalism is too complicated a concept for you to understand.
Europeans don't quite get the concept of capitalism, you should know that by now...

Originally Posted by khaden
Speaking from a personal perspective I hate that Delta made this decision, but from a business perspective, I completely understand. Our community has not supported air service like they could/should have so we really have nobody to blame but ourselves. HSV is only 60 miles away so for a lot of folks, they have more choices from there. I'm going to miss the $2/day parking and being home in 10 minutes that's for sure. Supposedly, Delta has committed to RJ service here starting Sept. 1 so it will be interesting to see if this will have any effect on pax count here.....
At MLB we've seen the same issue... DL has dropped down to 4x daily on D95's that are on time (in the afternoon) no more than 1-2x week... After over a month of delays and last minute changes, I'm about to write my convenient hometown airport off (just like MANY of us did 2 years ago when service turned to all CR7).

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 19, 2011 at 8:54 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
To be fair, if I ever had to go to back to Butte, MT and couldn't fly in and out in the same day, my life would be destroyed.
Delta is not dropping SLC-BTM, apprently it was only on 'the list' as they were looking at an EAS subsidy.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Delta is not dropping SLC-BTM, apprently it was only on 'the list' as they were looking at an EAS subsidy.
I guess this move won't destroy my life then.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Besides some much needed history refreshers for certain smug Euros, I can tell you that I took flights to a number of these spots over the years. It always was the same thing... empty airports with no service.... cancelled flights with little options for recovery. Limited times, triple connects, delays... hell, I ended up driving half the time to avoid spending an extra day or to actually make a meeting... maybe I had a bad run of luck, but many of those cities on that list seemed to have a war story and a bigger airport not too far away... to me, many of these spots were poorly serviced and though we know travel is not always a given, I try to keep land mines out of the process... hopefully, this move will allow better service to the HSVs and Bloomingtons of the world...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
You could have read that conclusion already quite a ways up thread...

When it no longer was relatively economical to fly DC-7s, did airlines stop flying to those destinations or did they switch to a different aircraft and different route/fleet models?

DL, a quintessentially American company, is intending to again socialize losses but privatize profit and is just cynically posturing itself at the government handout trough again.

Last edited by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM; Jul 19, 2011 at 11:16 pm
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
hopefully, this move will allow better service to the HSVs and Bloomingtons of the world...
Exactly...:cough: BTR :cough:
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:15 pm

Oh, forget the impact on trade and other national account balances. DL management doesn't exist to look out for the "national interest". They don't even look out for the SkyMiles customers' interest.
Why would DL management care about being yelled at by some state office politicians? DL isn't afraid of a "bite" that is just "bark" before and still isn't more than that. DL's been toying with the local pols for years but it has enough of the federal government in its pocket to do as it pleases largely with impunity (as long as DL sucks up to enough federal government elements, as DL has done).
Well said.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Besides some much needed history refreshers for certain smug Euros, I can tell you that I took flights to a number of these spots over the years. It always was the same thing... empty airports with no service.... cancelled flights with little options for recovery. Limited times, triple connects, delays... hell, I ended up driving half the time to avoid spending an extra day or to actually make a meeting... maybe I had a bad run of luck, but many of those cities on that list seemed to have a war story and a bigger airport not too far away... to me, many of these spots were poorly serviced and though we know travel is not always a given, I try to keep land mines out of the process... hopefully, this move will allow better service to the HSVs and Bloomingtons of the world...
Poor service is made better by becoming no service at all? What an interesting way to rationalize retreat and defeat.

Not all companies are big and powerful enough to demand immunity from prosecution to break both the anti-trust and competition laws on the books. Nor can more than a handful then become too big to fail or to be told what to do so that they can perpetually have their hand up the back of some Congressman puppet shaking out taxpayer dollars and specialized treatment, such as Delta, the oil companies and the investment banksters.

One thing is for sure: when small businesses located in the heartland of America can no longer depend on there being a basic, stable and usable infrastructure present, then these businesses are going to falter, fail and/or move to a country that does have conditions that are conducive to business. We seem to have seen a lot of that happening over the past three decades as communities wither and jobs and a secure middle class lifestyle have been exported and expunged, never to return again. And, the performance of the US has been dragging far behind that of its cross Atlantic trading partner already before these latest moves to decommission the last remnants of a national air transportation network through retreat and surrender...
The European economy is boosted by a thriving small- and medium-size business sector. In fact, that sector provides two-thirds of the total employment in the EU, compared with only about half of the total employment in the USA. While the American business community touts the idea that small businesses are the backbone of the US economy, Europe has far more small and medium-size enterprises than does America. These small businesses have been able to keep pace with profitability of large companies by being smart and efficient, light on their feet and technologically advanced. [through modern-day, innovative capitalism] they pool their resources and talents in larger networks, including industrial clusters and cooperatives, to gain the advantages of economies of scale without sacrificing innovativeness and flexibility of smaller-scale operations.
http://www.amazon.com/Europes-Promis.../dp/0520261372

...and they can actually have their customers, employees and vendors reach them easily and conveniently through modern and efficient multi-mode transportation systems.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Poor service is made better by becoming no service at all? What an interesting way to rationalize retreat and defeat.

Not all companies are big and powerful enough to demand immunity from prosecution to break both the anti-trust and competition laws on the books. Nor can more than a handful then become too big to fail or to be told what to do so that they can perpetually have their hand up the back of some Congressman puppet shaking out taxpayer dollars and specialized treatment, such as Delta, the oil companies and the investment banksters.

One thing is for sure: when small businesses located in the heartland of America can no longer depend on there being a basic, stable and usable infrastructure present, then these businesses are going to falter, fail and/or move to a country that does have conditions that are conducive to business. We seem to have seen a lot of that happening over the past three decades as communities wither and jobs and a secure middle class lifestyle have been exported and expunged, never to return again. And, the performance of the US has been dragging far behind that of its cross Atlantic trading partner already before these latest moves to decommission the last remnants of a national air transportation network through retreat and surrender...

http://www.amazon.com/Europes-Promis.../dp/0520261372

...and they can actually have their customers, employees and vendors reach them easily and conveniently through modern and efficient multi-mode transportation systems.

Now that we know Western Eurpope is awesome and super smart.... again...

I was not talking about the political aspects... I was simply stating my personal experiences... these routes were just not dependable and were not serviced well. I did not even mention the fact that they appeared to be poorly supported by pax, but it is kind of spooky being outnumbered by the flight crew. ....and though it makes your story better by saying they are giving up, my point was that it may turn out better for them to give more service to some of the smaller cities an hour or so away. Which in the end, will be better than what is out there now.

In the South, we joke about Yankees who move here and then proceed to tell us how they did it back home and why it is a better way... we are typically too polite to ask them why they did not stay up there if everything was so much better... but I digress....
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
In the South, we joke about Yankees who move here and then proceed to tell us how they did it back home and why it is a better way... we are typically too polite to ask them why they did not stay up there if everything was so much better... but I digress....
That joke sounds like it comes from quite the cracker, jack.

Don't fret, though. This time the Yankees aren't forcing the South to change its wayward ways at the end of loaded musket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.