Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Notifies EAS, May Drop up to 24 (PMNW) markets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Notifies EAS, May Drop up to 24 (PMNW) markets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hfly
I'm still waiting for people to find me equivalent European isolated places with populations of 8000 that have air service period.
Falkland Islands?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by hfly
I'm still waiting for people to find me equivalent European isolated places with populations of 8000 that have air service period.
I bet most 8,000 pop European towns have a more centrally populated town. Not too many people owned land in Europe back when many of these towns grew up. The poor people did not own land, the royals and such did. Since the US essentially did most of its growing up post Monarchy, even poor or non royals could own land. I think this is a reason why so many of our towns formed the way they did. Then, add the car and our choice to connect these towns with a pretty fantastic road system.... and now we are where we are....
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I bet most 8,000 pop European towns have a more centrally populated town. Not too many people owned land in Europe back when many of these towns grew up. The poor people did not own land, the royals and such did. Since the US essentially did most of its growing up post Monarchy, even poor or non royals could own land. I think this is a reason why so many of our towns formed the way they did. Then, add the car and our choice to connect these towns with a pretty fantastic road system.... and now we are where we are....
Add to that the deep fried twinkie, and we got ourselves the best country in the world!!!!!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbarreto
Add to that the deep fried twinkie, and we got ourselves the best country in the world!!!!!
don't forget sushi and taco bell... **** ya!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Of the listed DL cuts to those places to which I've been, none of those airports serve a community with a population figure merely of 8,000 people even if the incorporated entity whose name is part of the airport has a population figure in that range or even less. The area served by such airports is far wider than just the headlined town/city, and those airports do rather routinely attract passengers driving one or more hours to get to such airports.

... and the "more centrally populated towns" of 8k persons don't need public transit as much as "less centrally populated towns" since the more centrally populated a community is, the less need for vehicular transport. So that argument about "central population" too may well fall flat on its face as well.

With regard to references to royals and such, places like Sweden and Switzerland have managed to get public transit out even to farmers in the countryside. And in Sweden -- a country nearly the size of California but with a population smaller than MN+WI -- where houses are routinely no closer in the rural farm country and woods than they are in MN, WI, MI or even the Dakotas, the country still manages to provide public transit facilities. [In Sweden, farmers are a traditional, large land-owning class, older than even its own royal dynasty tools.]

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 21, 2011 at 8:23 am
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Of the listed DL cuts to those places to which I've been, none of those airports serve a community with a population figure merely of 8,000 people even if the incorporated entity whose name is part of the airport has a population figure in that range or even less. The area served by such airports is far wider than just the headlined town/city, and those airports do rather routinely attract passengers driving one or more hours to get to such airports.

... and the "more centrally populated towns" of 8k persons don't need public transit as much as "less centrally populated towns" since the more centrally populated a community is, the less need for vehicular transport. So that argument about "central population" too may well fall flat on its face as well.

With regard to references to royals and such, places like Sweden and Switzerland have managed to get public transit out even to farmers in the countryside. And in Sweden -- a country nearly the size of California but with a population smaller than MN+WI -- where houses are routinely no closer in the rural farm country and woods than they are in MN, WI, MI or even the Dakotas, the country still manages to provide public transit facilities. [In Sweden, farmers are a traditional, large land-owning class, older than even its own royal dynasty tools.]
So, they have trains and buses that run to each one of their farms?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Falkland Islands?
Longyearbyen is better connected by an airline that is a member of the big three airline alliances.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
And in Sweden -- a country nearly the size of California but with a population smaller than MN+WI -- where houses are routinely no closer in the rural farm country and woods than they are in MN, WI, MI or even the Dakotas, the country still manages to provide public transit facilities.
Because of this:

Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Because of this:

So, are you telling me that if I give the Govt 20% more of my money, I can have a train run out to my farm? Where do I sign up for that deal?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:32 am
Suspended

Not even 15% more, if even that.

Public buses within a 0-30 minute leisurely walk of farms in the countryside is normal for my visits to traditional family farmland in Sweden. In MN and WI -- with a higher population and population density than Sweden -- I can do no such thing with anywhere near as much regularity and I would definitely have to get a rental car (or taxi, if possible) to do the same (if someone doesn't pick me up or if I don't have a car around already).

... and taxes on corporations and business profits (even for sole proprietorships) are quite routinely much lower in Sweden than in the US. Which goes for most comparable persons/entities, unless playing the tax loophole game as well as GE does or Enron did.

Looking at a chart about overall taxation as a percentage of GDP doesn't speak much to the impact on annual or lifetime disposable income after taxes, insurance, food, and other basics of living (housing costs included or not, however wished). Comparing that for the average person is what can be compared to somewhat better determine what is the real financial cost of having a Swedish public transit network Sweden's rather than having a (lack of) public transit network like that in MN+WI. A chart about taxation as a percentage of GDP doesn't really even start to show what the cost is for the average person.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 21, 2011 at 8:46 am
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:33 am

moved on to new forms of social capitalism, resulting in Europe, for example having more Fortune 500 companies than the US and China combined
Better check yourself...

How many companies in the Global 500 are in Europe?

And How many in the US?

Last edited by lsugolfer; Jul 21, 2011 at 8:39 am
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Actually in the rural areas of Sweden in which I've been, the bus system is fairly extensive (I've seen bus stops on roads next to farms). Whether it pays for itself or is subsidized by the government, I don't know.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:35 am

Whether it pays for itself
LOL
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
LOL
I would doubt it too, but don't know. The buses came around fairly regularly, but were never crowded.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by trjaremko
Sounds. Like a good opportunity for great lakes airline
Cape Air?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.