Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rant, issue, non-rev upgrade question - 2 of 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold

I was flying from MSP to IAD on flight 1589 leaving from MSP at 7:05 PM to IAD. I was confirmed on this flight and held a seat request card. I saw I was on the cleared list and was in 21A. I saw there were only 2 people on the upgrade list and went up to the GA to request to be put on the upgrade list. The GA told me that only Diamonds could be put on the upgrade list not even platinums. I resigned myself saying that it was a elite heavy route may be. I heard 2 names being called and they went up to the GA and one of them got a new boarding pass. The other said no. I recognized that they were the 2 names on the upgrade list from the initials. About 2 minutes later, the GA walked to another passenger and handed her a 4D boarding pass. While boarding I saw this lady in 4D was a crew member which irritated me because as a gold elite I was declined the same upgrade saying only Diamonds could get on the upgrade list. I let it pass saying sometimes crew members deserve it too. I got seated in 21A and found the lady who had declined the upgrade in 20B and i asked her if she gave up her upgrade and she replied in the affirmative saying she wanted to sit with her colleague. I found that she was a DL GM too just like me which irked me to no ends because basically the GA had lied to me and there was no one to check her.

DL needs help.

Rants end.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:14 pm

If sitting in Delta's so-called First Class wtihout paying for it is so important to you, why don't you go work for Delta?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL SM, PC Gold Elite
Paragraph breaks are your friend, also the reply button in your previous thread would've been better then breaking this up into two different topics for essentially one R/T rant.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by DODexpat
Paragraph breaks are your friend, also the reply button in your previous thread would've been better then breaking this up into two different topics for essentially one R/T rant.
^
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta, United
IIRC there are times when crew members traveling on official business will get a FC seat. Others will have to chime with more of the specifics.

That said if you suspect "shena" you should deal with it at the gate.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:37 pm

This should not have happened. You should have been put on the upgrade list. Please contact delta so it can get reported and corrected.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Unless the upgrade list cleared before the stand by list, which is what has been reported here several times
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
How do you even begin to know who that person was? I find these rants about supposed undeserving passenger being upgraded REALLY annoying.

That person could have very well been a DM. As a matter of fact, a lot of crew members are. For example, NetJets and similar charter outfits will commercially fly their crews to and from assignments, therefore making them high status SM members.

I would respectfully suggest here that although it is in the gate agents power to upgrade whomever they chose, what do they have to gain from it? They are mostly intelligent people who realize that high value customers ultimately pay them.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by FlyingForEternity
How do you even begin to know who that person was?
Well I think if the person was wearing a DELTA pilot or flight attendant uniform it's nearly certain that the person in question was a DELTA crew member!

Some of us do have the ability to recognize that NetJets pilots don't wear Delta uniforms.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, Starwood Plat
If you did not have a seat, you would not be on the list for first. Once you were confirmed in a seat, then you could request to be on the upgrade list. But you have to have the Y seat assigned to you first.

Most likely the GA cleared the elites on the upgrade list before assigning the Y seats. They do not have to assign Y seats until after everyone is boarded.

I am surprises that they informed you that you could not be added to the list though. You could have called the Elite Line or asked in the SK to be added to the list once you were confirmed in a Y seat.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Herb687
Well I think if the person was wearing a DELTA pilot or flight attendant uniform it's nearly certain that the person in question was a DELTA crew member!

Some of us do have the ability to recognize that NetJets pilots don't wear Delta uniforms.
Some of us do but you are assuming that is the case of the OP.

As for this upgrade issue... one can be on the seat request standby list (aka confirmed onto the flight) and on the upgrade list at the same time... Sounds as if the OP had stood by for this flight. if that is the case, proper procedure was followed...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I think we need to find who the lady was in 20B was -- If she is on flyertalk we need to have a serious discussion -- isn't declining the upgrade against the TOS?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by naroowal
I was flying from MSP to IAD on flight 1589 leaving from MSP at 7:05 PM to IAD. I was confirmed on this flight and held a seat request card. I saw I was on the cleared list and was in 21A. I saw there were only 2 people on the upgrade list and went up to the GA to request to be put on the upgrade list. The GA told me that only Diamonds could be put on the upgrade list not even platinums. I resigned myself saying that it was a elite heavy route may be. I heard 2 names being called and they went up to the GA and one of them got a new boarding pass. The other said no. I recognized that they were the 2 names on the upgrade list from the initials. About 2 minutes later, the GA walked to another passenger and handed her a 4D boarding pass. While boarding I saw this lady in 4D was a crew member which irritated me because as a gold elite I was declined the same upgrade saying only Diamonds could get on the upgrade list. I let it pass saying sometimes crew members deserve it too. I got seated in 21A and found the lady who had declined the upgrade in 20B and i asked her if she gave up her upgrade and she replied in the affirmative saying she wanted to sit with her colleague. I found that she was a DL GM too just like me which irked me to no ends because basically the GA had lied to me and there was no one to check her.

DL needs help.

Rants end.
It looks like there was a non-rev in 4C, a DL Reserve PM in 01B and you were assigned to 21A as a Medallion w/ no seat assignment.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
Clarification

The non-rev if I am not wrong was in 4D not 4C and had a crew badge dangling out of her hands.

- naroowal
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Originally Posted by LedgeT
It looks like there was a non-rev in 4C, a DL Reserve PM in 01B and you were assigned to 21A as a Medallion w/ no seat assignment.
Based on the OPs other thread it appears that they had no right to the seat since they were flying standby and not confirmed. If the OP was confirmed on the MSP-IAD flight then they have a claim at the upgrade but if they were flying standby then they have no claim at the upgrade (at least per my experience with standby on Delta)

Last edited by Medeski; Jul 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.