Search

DL 764 J vs A 772 J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
DL 764 J vs A 772 J

Hi guys,
I recently booked an award ticket in J from JFK to MXP for December. When I did the booking the non-stop delta flight was showing a 763 which from what I've read here doesn't have such a great J product, so I booked AF. Today, I was looking at the other flight options available for the same dates I booked, and i noticed the direct JFK-MXP on delta now shows a 764. Do you guys think its worth it for me to change to the direct flight on a 764, or is AF J better?

thanks
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Take the 764... Seats are great, no missed connection worries, and best of all: no CDG!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Definitely. Avoid CDG at all costs.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
+1 on the 764 - I flew the 772 to LAX last year and came back via MSP on the 764 in J - given the angled AF seat, I'd take the lay flat seat on the 764 anytime! Have a good trip!

robin
Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
Definitely. Avoid CDG at all costs.
Its not so much as avoiding CDG but the differences between a DL 764 with lie-flats and AF with angled seats are night and day. Not only that, but the personalized service you get on DL blows away the mechanized service you get on AF. With DL, you choose want you want for dinner before the flight takes off and its served to you in style, or with AF where you choose what you want as the FA trolls down the aisle with the food cart and removes the tinfoil from your choice and throws it on your tray table as you select it.

even more then that, AF serves the dessert with the appetizer in business class. Don't believe me? Give me a second to upload a pic. DL does it right in J. Avoid AF at all costs.

Never again will I pay for and fly Air France in Business class.

Go with the DL 764, there isnt any comparison. In fact, it beats anything else the U.S. majors have to offer.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Jul 10, 2011 at 3:27 pm
Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:23 pm
Suspended

On June 22nd, 2011 I flew AF from JFK to CDG in J on a 773. I was served this lousy desssert selection at the same time as my appetizer. Notice the rather cheesy looking dessert option in the bottom corner of the pic served with the app.

Unlike Delta, I wasn't even given a choice as to what I wanted for dessert. I will avoid flying AF in J in the future at all costs.

Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
On June 22nd, 2011 I flew AF from JFK to CDG in J on a 773. I was served this lousy desssert selection at the same time as my appetizer. Notice the rather cheesy looking dessert option in the bottom corner of the pic served with the app.

Unlike Delta, I wasn't even given a choice as to what I wanted for dessert. I will avoid flying AF in J in the future at all costs.

AF service is much, much different on the westbound flights than the eastbound overnight flights.

They have made the decision to provide the speediest possible service (one tray, then a swap of appetizer and main) for the eastbound flights. There also is only one or two choices for the main course. In my experience, the westbound meal is much more elaborate and personalized, with at least four options for the main.

I've never had a "bad" flight on AF, and i find the food and wine generally pretty good. It's definitely a different style of service, however.

I will say I find the angled seats on AF terribly uncomfortable. I would go with a BE recliner any day.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
AF service is much, much different on the westbound flights than the eastbound overnight flights.

They have made the decision to provide the speediest possible service (one tray, then a swap of appetizer and main) for the eastbound flights. There also is only one or two choices for the main course. In my experience, the westbound meal is much more elaborate and personalized, with at least four options for the main.

I've never had a "bad" flight on AF, and i find the food and wine generally pretty good. It's definitely a different style of service, however.

I will say I find the angled seats on AF terribly uncomfortable. I would go with a BE recliner any day.
Why arent the eastbound flights as important as the WB flights?

I was appalled at having my dessert selection served at the same time as my appetizer, and not even given the option as to what I wanted. I mean, really.... paying for a business class ticket and having my meal served from a cart and removed from tinfoil right in front of you? I would expect that from a Ryanair spinoff of a TATL service in Y. Shame on you AF.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
764 any day over a 772 from AF. 763 vs. 772 then I'd go with the 772. C-class on AF is pretty mediocre service-wise and I only take it when Delta has a bad product in that market.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Why arent the eastbound flights as important as the WB flights?

I was appalled at having my dessert selection served at the same time as my appetizer, and not even given the option as to what I wanted. I mean, really.... paying for a business class ticket and having my meal served from a cart and removed from tinfoil right in front of you? I would expect that from a Ryanair spinoff of a TATL service in Y. Shame on you AF.
Um, because most people on the eastbound flights want the lights shut off so they can go to sleep as soon as possible? It's not difficult to understand, really.

Last edited by nytraveller53; Jul 10, 2011 at 4:47 pm
Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everybody, I called up Delta and the lady was very friendly and she switched me to the non-stop 764
Old Jul 10, 2011, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by merc1234
Thanks for the advice everybody, I called up Delta and the lady was very friendly and she switched me to the non-stop 764
Did she charge you the $150?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Um, because most people on the eastbound flights want the lights shut off so they can go to sleep as soon as possible? It's not difficult to understand, really.
Most people? I dont think so. Most people want a decent, unrushed experienced in J. I've taken dozens of TATL flights and Fortunately Delta realizes that there is more to it then just rushing through a meal service to shut out the lights. I mean, after all, they do give you eye shades in your amenity kit. Plus, if I am in Y, then being served my food out of a tin can is one thing, but in business? Unaccceptable. Shame on Air France.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Did she charge you the $150?
Nope, I told her how my original AF flight was changed. It was given a new flight number, time, and the aircraft changed from an A343 to a 772. The new flight would leave 4 hours earlier from JFK giving me an almost 8 hour layover in Paris, which was very unappealing...When I saw this change on delta.com it said I could change it if i wasn't happy.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
DL 330 or AF 340?

Would like to ask for some opinions as well. Going from SFO-PRG later this summer and interested to know what would people would choose between:

Option 1:
SFO-CDG (AF A340 in J)
CDG-PRG (AF 319 in J)

Option 2:
SFO-SEA (AS 738 in F)
SEA-AMS (DL A330 in J)
AMS-PRG (KL F70 or Czech in J)

Option 3:
SFO-ATL (DL 757 in F)
ATL-MAD (DL 764 in J)
MAD-PRG (Czech A320 in J)

Thanks ahead of time for any advice given especially rankings of these as 1,2,3.

Last edited by OLYflyer; Jul 10, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.