Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with GRR? Recommended 90 minutes prior to departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Saw this posted on the Flight Status & Updates page:

• Effective immediately, Airport check-in for Delta operated flights departing from Grand Rapids, MI (GRR) has changed. We recommend that you arrive at the airport 90 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time and check in at least 60 minutes prior to departure.
90 minutes prior to departure seems a little overly cautious for such a tiny airport, but as anyone who has flown out of GRR knows, there is no SkyPriority screening. Everything is slow. Based on personal experience, you are more than 75% likely to be stuck behind a senior citizen traveling for the first time in decades.

Just last week I had two friends flying GRR - LGA miss their flight because delays at the TSA checkpoint in GRR were in excess of an hour. Meanwhile it takes less than 15 minutes to get from curbside to the gate at JFK T2.

Are there any other small airports that regularly experience such delays in screening so as to recommend passengers arrive a full hour and 30 minutes prior to departure?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:03 pm
Taz

Programs: DL PM
I live in AZO but decided to give GRR a try a couple of weeks ago for an award trip because the mileage required was much lower. It is a mess. Clearing security is a giant goat rodeo. The checkpoint is just in a fairly narrow hallway, partially up the concourse leading to the gates and with multiple departures at roughly the same time, it took me 45 minutes to clear. There was no curbside bag drop that I could see and that adds to the lines at check-in. I'm sticking with AZO.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
I have a vague memory of Herman Miller butter yellow leather chairs in the gate areas of GRR several years ago - perhaps arrive earlier to enjoy them longer?

But it looks as if help is on the way:http://www.wwmt.com/articles/expansi...wschannel.html
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carybrevard
I have a vague memory of Herman Miller butter yellow leather chairs in the gate areas of GRR several years ago - perhaps arrive earlier to enjoy them longer?
Your memory serves correct! But then again, having grown up with Herman Miller furniture all over the place (it's a West Michigan thing) it's not that big of a draw anymore.

Originally Posted by carybrevard
But it looks as if help is on the way:http://www.wwmt.com/articles/expansi...wschannel.html
Thank goodness. That hallway-turned-security area was always a little awkward.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by COnned
Saw this posted on the Flight Status & Updates page:

90 minutes prior to departure seems a little overly cautious for such a tiny airport, but as anyone who has flown out of GRR knows, there is no SkyPriority screening. Everything is slow. Based on personal experience, you are more than 75% likely to be stuck behind a senior citizen traveling for the first time in decades.

Just last week I had two friends flying GRR - LGA miss their flight because delays at the TSA checkpoint in GRR were in excess of an hour. Meanwhile it takes less than 15 minutes to get from curbside to the gate at JFK T2.

Are there any other small airports that regularly experience such delays in screening so as to recommend passengers arrive a full hour and 30 minutes prior to departure?
BTW already discussed here -> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...?highlight=grr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.