Search

Delta 744 business class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
Delta 744 business class

Hello!

Can anyone give some advice about seats in business class on a Delta 744? I'm currently slated for the upper deck...in an exit row. Are these decent seats? I originally had seats 1 A/B...but read some posts that people like the upper deck for quiet, maybe a bit better service or more personalized, so I made the switch. I travel a lot internationally, but usually in economy. So I'm stoked we get in b/c! Thanks for any input!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
Originally Posted by globalharvester
Hello!

Can anyone give some advice about seats in business class on a Delta 744? I'm currently slated for the upper deck...in an exit row. Are these decent seats? I originally had seats 1 A/B...but read some posts that people like the upper deck for quiet, maybe a bit better service or more personalized, so I made the switch. I travel a lot internationally, but usually in economy. So I'm stoked we get in b/c! Thanks for any input!
I've been on 30+ 744 flights over the past few years. 1 A/B is unique for the the slightly forward view you get out of the windows (front windows are angled as the fuselage curves into the nose), but aside from that, I always go for 73 A/B as first choice (upper deck bulkhead with about 6 feet of leg room), then 10 A/B (on lower deck, but approximately 10 feet of leg room), then 77 A/B or J/K (upper deck exits rows, so plenty of room to get out when your seatmate is reclined, but flight attendants are seated facing you during take off and landing). Main downside to upperdeck is slightly smaller overhead bins. But FA will let you put larger bags in the upstairs closet. The window bins on the upperdeck make up for it--plenty of space to store miscellaneous items on longer flights. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Hello globalharvester and welcome to FT!!

We're going to move this thread to a more apropos forum.

Happy travels!

Cholula
CommunityBuzz! Co-Moderator
Old Jun 28, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Hello!

Row 73 A-B (first row on the left in the upper deck). At least 6 feet of room in front of you. The upper deck is like flying in a private jet; only 24 pax and 2 FAs. Calm and quiet, you can't believe that there can be 379 people sitting downstairs. If you've never been in the upper deck of the 747, you are in for a treat.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Welcome to FlyerTalk. If you do a search (see the "Search this Forum" tab), you will find substantial input on this, and likely many other questions you might have. Enjoy your trip.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nesselite.html
Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Hello!

Upper deck exit row 77 is about as good as it gets. Second choice for me when 73 is not available. Depending on the plane you might get the FA jumpseat across from you in row 77. They will be there only for landing as they have other seats at the rear galley.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
You are where you want to be and you should be stoked.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by bmh3s
... But FA will let you put larger bags in the upstairs closet. ...
Although usually true this is not always the case. Sometimes you get a prickly FA that won't let you
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Although usually true this is not always the case. Sometimes you get a prickly FA that won't let you
Agreed, last month on my return from MNL they would not let me use the upstairs closet. I did go back down stairs and use a bin there, and grab it on the way off the plane. Not a big deal.

I also enjoy the upper deck (73A) for the peace & quiet, but still prefer 10A due to the ease of getting on and off the aircraft. The upper deck exit row windows are a bit behind your seat but when you are reclined you can still get to it and peek out. The only thing I do not like about the upper deck is the windows are a bit smaller and I have to lean over to look out them, but even that is not a big deal. Enjoy your flight.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta Marriott Hilton
Originally Posted by Bigpops
Agreed, last month on my return from MNL they would not let me use the upstairs closet. I did go back down stairs and use a bin there, and grab it on the way off the plane. Not a big deal.

I also enjoy the upper deck (73A) for the peace & quiet, but still prefer 10A due to the ease of getting on and off the aircraft. The upper deck exit row windows are a bit behind your seat but when you are reclined you can still get to it and peek out. The only thing I do not like about the upper deck is the windows are a bit smaller and I have to lean over to look out them, but even that is not a big deal. Enjoy your flight.
Are the seats full recline or at least enough that you can sleep well? We are looking at booking first class from Montreal to Paris on an Air France flight with this equipment and we are wondering if the seats will be good enough to give us an opportunity to sleep on the flight.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Lancelarue
Are the seats full recline or at least enough that you can sleep well? We are looking at booking first class from Montreal to Paris on an Air France flight with this equipment and we are wondering if the seats will be good enough to give us an opportunity to sleep on the flight.
Configurations vary by airline not just equipment - i.e. all setups on 747s are not the same.

AF does however have flat bed seats in First Class if that is what you are asking
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Configurations vary by airline not just equipment - i.e. all setups on 747s are not the same.

AF does however have flat bed seats in First Class if that is what you are asking
But did Lancelarue really mean first class (la Premiere) or was the intended class of service business class (Affaires)? Affaires is angled lie-flat.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Given the chance, I will always pick 1 A/B. I have a hard time sleeping on planes, and love the privacy of flying in the nose. Disruptions are minimal, and you don't have anyone walking by your seat except for the 1 J/K pax. You're served first, and there is ample space between the seat and the bulkhead for 1A to get around a fully reclined 1B.

Additionally, I find it nearly as quiet as the upper deck, and it gives the impression of more space. High ceilings, wider cabin, easier to walk around. Sometimes the upper deck can feel like you're flying 12+ hours in a 752.

Having said all that, I really appreciate how much FTers show serious love for 73A/B and the 77 rows. The fact that my favorite seats on a 744 are underrated means they're usually available for me.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by COnned
Given the chance, I will always pick 1 A/B. I have a hard time sleeping on planes, and love the privacy of flying in the nose. Disruptions are minimal, and you don't have anyone walking by your seat except for the 1 J/K pax. You're served first, and there is ample space between the seat and the bulkhead for 1A to get around a fully reclined 1B.
I'll have to try 1A next time. I have done 10A, 73B and 77A. 10A has acres of room but I thought there was too much activity in the area. Great for being first off the plane though. 73B also had lots of room in front but when trying to sleep I found myself occasionally disturbed by folks walking forward to use the lav. There were slight squeaks in the floor.

However, 73B is a great spot to watch the captain chew out the ground staff during delays due to pax on board without proper travel documents.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
I've searched and searched and can't find anything that is both clear and recent.

Currently in 74A which appears to be the second seat back on the left-hand side. Any issues with this? Understanding they are all in a pod I tried to choose something that was a few rows back from the bathroom. There are exit rows but not sure how these impact the seats themselves... All UD is open right now except 74K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.