Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's reasonable, though I might be temped to use a regional upgrade certificate on the routing.

I wonder if, after you purchase it, you could same-day change from New York–San Francisco or Los Angeles–Portland and get Delta One? Or better
not in the past 18 months or so since DL put explicit language in the SDC rules ... something like "If you have purchased a First Class experience, no Same-Day Confirmed changes are permitted to a Delta One experience."

"killing the goose that laid the golden egg" should resonate with more than a few FTers who made a habit of both doing this and posting about it on a regular basis (in the interest of full disclosure, I took advantage of it more than a few times, but kept my online gloating to a minimum)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
I was checking a reservation for SEA-LAS-SEA next week and noticed the FCM..

LAS-SEA $488.05
SEA-LAS $756.80 (!!!)

For a 2 hour flight, those are steals!! hah
Wow that buys a lot of Spa services and Clam Chowder at the SEA SC.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767
not in the past 18 months or so since DL put explicit language in the SDC rules ... something like "If you have purchased a First Class experience, no Same-Day Confirmed changes are permitted to a Delta One experience."

"killing the goose that laid the golden egg" should resonate with more than a few FTers who made a habit of both doing this and posting about it on a regular basis (in the interest of full disclosure, I took advantage of it more than a few times, but kept my online gloating to a minimum)
I forgot about this.

I'd change to New York–San Diego–Seattle–Portland in first-class, if you had the time and wanted the extra MQMs.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)

really

probably half a dozen occasions WAS-ATL-LAX to WAS-JFK-LAX (more often the original is over DTW/CVG/MSP which typically have greater availability of lower G/A/P fares)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I'm waiting on my FCM offer from MSP-HND to PS. So far only offer from ATL -MSP.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Delta.com is offering me a buy-up into first-class for Albuquerque–Salt Lake City–Detroit at $508.48 or 47,300 miles.

No thanks, especially since I have comfort-plus aisle seats on both segments.

Albuquerque–Salt Lake City is on the Embraer 175 and Salt Lake City–Detroit is on the Boeing 737-900.

By comparison, the $84.93 or 7,900 miles buy-up for Detroit–Norfolk on the CRJ-700 is somewhat more reasonable.

Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Anyone have a general feel if FCM or C+ offers tend to improve/get worse over time, or generally stay constant?
If so what is the timing on improved/worsened offers?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Anyone have a general feel if FCM or C+ offers tend to improve/get worse over time, or generally stay constant?
If so what is the timing on improved/worsened offers?
It used to be that they got higher but now I've seen that they are getting lower. I often see them disappear inside the 5 day upgrade window but maybe they block them for Medallion members during upgrade window so we don't get offended.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Delta.com is offering me a buy-up into first-class for Albuquerque–Salt Lake City–Detroit at $508.48 or 47,300 miles.

No thanks, especially since I have comfort-plus aisle seats on both segments.

Albuquerque–Salt Lake City is on the Embraer 175 and Salt Lake City–Detroit is on the Boeing 737-900.

By comparison, the $84.93 or 7,900 miles buy-up for Detroit–Norfolk on the CRJ-700 is somewhat more reasonable.
the astonishing thing to me is that they're hawking "more leg room" on a buyup offer to F with a photo of 3-abreast C+ seating
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL used to round the miles in a way that wasn't in our favor when you paid for a domestic FCM offer with miles, but now the deals are "worth" a bit more than one cent per mile. Has anyone figured out the algorithm?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bergamini
It used to be that they got higher but now I've seen that they are getting lower. I often see them disappear inside the 5 day upgrade window but maybe they block them for Medallion members during upgrade window so we don't get offended.
I've seen some wild gyrations. MSP-RSW was running about $600 for a long time (uhh, nope!), then at about two weeks it went to $900 (NOPE!) and inside of 5 days down the $385. My RUC that was soon expiring cleared after OLCI, but I'd have stayed in C+ rather than pay (I don't recall the miles offer).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RaflW
I've seen some wild gyrations. MSP-RSW was running about $600 for a long time (uhh, nope!), then at about two weeks it went to $900 (NOPE!) and inside of 5 days down the $385. My RUC that was soon expiring cleared after OLCI, but I'd have stayed in C+ rather than pay (I don't recall the miles offer).
Some of my short under 2-hour flights, particularly on Delta Connection carriers, have had buy-ups of $74 and change, which leads me to believe that's the right price.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL used to round the miles in a way that wasn't in our favor when you paid for a domestic FCM offer with miles, but now the deals are "worth" a bit more than one cent per mile. Has anyone figured out the algorithm?
Calling it an "algorithm" is being a bit generous. The cash offers have the domestic 7.5% US Excise tax applied while the mileage offer is simply a 1 CPM valuation without the excise tax applied. So, take the mileage amount, divide by 100, and then multiply by 1.075 and there's your cash offer. Works every time.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
They're offering $982 for PHX to JFK and it's not even D1.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkP24
They're offering $982 for PHX to JFK and it's not even D1.
Oh hell no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.