Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dovster
NRSAs are not supposed to sit in Biz Elite on international flights if there is an oversell situation.

As many Biz Elite seats as needed are supposed to be given to paying passengers and NRSAs can sit in the seats which are vacated by them. (I once sat in the very back row of a TLV-ATL flight on a buddy pass for exactly this reason.)
This sounds like either there were some last minute load changes or someone didn't count correctly.

If coach is oversold, OPUPs are supposed to be given to exactly the number of people of the oversell; if there aren't enough open BE seats, there will be VDBs/IDBs. Then, if there are still open BE seats, those BE seats are given to nonrevs in seniority (or other priority) order. It's wrong to OPUP more people from coach than needed and and filling BE with these revenue passengers, so that all nonrevs who clear are given coach seats.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
gamer

seriously ... I'll be the first to admit that the "only need a seat, not the inventory bucket" rule for FC SDC has changed my purchasing habits the past few months
I have missed something. What does this mean? If I buy F I can change at will?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by captiveguru
I have missed something. What does this mean? If I buy F I can change at will?
Yep, it's actually a positive change to the SDC policies. There's a thread someone, but I couldn't find it just now with some cursory searching.

From the same day travel changes page
      Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
      FCM on Award Travel?

Has anyone seen reasonable Upgrade offers on award travel close to departure?

I'm starting to book personal travel in 2015 and rather than spend $$ i'm burning my skymiles..

I can book JFK-PHX rt for 25K in Y or 75-90K in F. I'd much rather use the 25K for economy and then upgrade for $250-300 closer to departure date.
      Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:31 am
      FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
      Two recent FCM examples:

1. SDC'd to nearly empty F flight. First time ever, was offered $79 to UG SFO-LAX. Of course I said no. LOL though, I was the only one on the list, only one that cleared, still had 3 empty seats in F.

2. Recently had to do a flight change on the return before the outbound was flown. No fare change so $200 change fee. But wait, book in F and we'll waive your change fee, and F is now only $185. What? Anyone else experience this yet?
      Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
      FCM is a bad idea

I think this is an example of very poor and short-term thinking. Delta seems to be drunk on the thrill of current profitability, while forgetting the massive losses of just a few years ago. What happens during the next downturn??

Does it really make business sense to favor vacationers who fly once a year over business people who fly every week?
      Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:00 pm
      Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
      Originally Posted by rkarlberg
      I think this is an example of very poor and short-term thinking. Delta seems to be drunk on the thrill of current profitability, while forgetting the massive losses of just a few years ago. What happens during the next downturn??

Does it really make business sense to favor vacationers who fly once a year over business people who fly every week?
      As a shareholder, I think you do have a point. Discretionary spending is up, but we did just come out of a recession, spending won't continue at this level. Though I do think that the continued increase of cap ex will, not necessarily differentiate Delta, but create a product that people will book without looking at the competition. At least, I hope!

On topic, I just paid $78 to upgrade my mother round-trip from MSP-TPA later in the year. Originally booked a K fare.
      Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
      Datapoint:
      SEA-DTW-CMH (K)
      CMH-MSP-SEA (X)
      For mid february. After purchase, FCM offered for $537 (full itinerary, incl taxes). Few days later down to $490. Currently back to $537.

Will continue to monitor.
      Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:12 pm
      Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
      Has delta.dumb offered anyone else an F buy-up on a CRJ-200?
      Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
      Originally Posted by mridley2
      Has anyone seen reasonable Upgrade offers on award travel close to departure?

I'm starting to book personal travel in 2015 and rather than spend $$ i'm burning my skymiles..

I can book JFK-PHX rt for 25K in Y or 75-90K in F. I'd much rather use the 25K for economy and then upgrade for $250-300 closer to departure date.
      I know I'm late to the party on this post but I don't think delta does this. I can't find anything definitive but I've never seen a cash upgrade offer on an award ticket. When they post last minute upgrades to FC on GIDS at the airport it always say 'K' fare or higher. The award buckets wouldn't fit into that definition. If you experience different, please post an update.
      Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
      Funny, no doubt they are quite drunk. After all they have had, what, four years of consistent year-over-year growth? Most businesses would open a new bottle over that.

As for the next downturn – which is still a ways away – they will cut capacity, do the usual furloughs, run some promos, and weather the storm. The only question, which is highly doubtful IMO, is whether they will need to go through another bktcy. If so, then it will be business as usual.

Not even sure what this means. Certainly don't want to put words into your mouth but are you saying that FCM is costing you UG's?
      Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:43 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
      Originally Posted by Sez_Who
      Certainly don't want to put words into your mouth but are you saying that FCM is costing you UG's?
      You are not putting words in his mouth. That's exactly what he is saying.
      Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
      Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
      Has delta.dumb offered anyone else an F buy-up on a CRJ-200?
      i believe these was a thread about such an event .... maybe earlier in this thread, or another?
      Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:36 am

Just Another Data Point

I have a trip to MEM in a few days. I bought a cheapo ticket ~$370. At the time the cheapest F was ~$985.

I got the banner yesterday to buy-up for $950. That would have made it a little more expensive than most of the current F fares.

Today, I log on and I get an offer for ~$650. Pretty significant drop. Still not enough to make me bite.

"F" as opposed to A, P, G is all they are selling on the return flight.

So, I could get into the front cabin for ~$400 less than the person who actually books those exact same flights today.
      Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
      They were offering me to buy up on a o/w TCON from ATL for $170-190. I didn't bother and scored the upgrade at the window anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.