Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

40,000 (15k MQM) and 2 Sky Club passes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:45 pm
EFC
Original Poster

Long time lurker, first time poster… saw this 40k Platinum Amex offer on another message board and thought it might be useful here. Would it be worth getting it if it got me to Silver?

[Later...]
it'd probably help if I put this in there. https://www201.americanexpress.com/c...36/36255/b/317

I'm obviously ready for the weekend...

Last edited by mia; Jun 25, 2011 at 7:17 am Reason: Combine two consecutive posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, ICH Plat, National EC
Question

Interesting part of the T&C's for this apparent revision of the AmEx Delta Plat:

"First Class Companion Certificate: Earn a free* Economy or First Class Companion Certificate each year upon renewal."

Currently, at least up until this year, you only got an Economy Companion Certificate. Wonder if they're enhancing the benefits of this card? Can't see how they'd limit it to just folks who applied under this promo considering it's the same product.

Peace!

Update: noticed the 2nd set of T&C's (formal??) at the bottom of the application only refer to the Economy Companion Certificate:

"* Taxes/fees/restrictions. Companion Certificate is valid for one round-trip Economy Class companion ticket with the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States. Residents of Hawaii and Alaska must originate from there to the 48 contiguous United States. Companion tickets do not include Federal Excise Tax of $3.70, Passenger Facility Charge(s) of up to $4.50, or the September 11th Security Fee of up to $2.50 for each flight segment. For residents of Alaska/Hawaii, for travel to/from Alaska/Hawaii, U.S. International Air Transportation tax of up to $16.20 round-trip applies. Reservations are available only on delta.com."

Nice contradictory terms there AmEx!!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
the card just became much better if you can use it for a first class ticket too...
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I don't see any deadline, am I right?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by philemer
Moving to AMEX MR forum.
Should likely be moved to DL forum.

There are offers like this fairly regularly. Last was 40K SM, 15k MQM and $100 statement credit on first Delta purchase.

To the OP, how could it not be worth it, 40k SM and 15 MQM for $150 is more than a steal.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Move to Skymiles section where this offer can be discussed in context of other offers for the same card.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:57 am

Annual fee $150 and it does not seem to be waived for the first year -- someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Plat
annual fee isn't waived the first year
also wait they may push a better offer
last year I got 40 MQM 20K for signing up and 20k after spending 1000 $$$ plus I also got a $200 delta voucher
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Silver isn't worth anything, but if you plan to stick with Delta and fly a lot it will be worth it to assist you in getting to higher levels plus the associated bennies.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Read the fine print at the bottom... it says economy companion ticket, not economy or first, despite the blurb on the left sidebar.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
upgrade from Gold?

This is a far better offer than the standard offer that has been out for a while to upgrade from the Gold Amex (5000 bonus & 5000 MQM). Anyone know if you can upgrade a card with this offer or do you need to open a new account? I've had my Gold card for more than a year so the issue of change in fees, etc would not apply.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
... and 2 Sky Club passes

Hooray... more people coming into the overcrowded clubs!!!

(... in addition to the elite ranks inflation)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
annual fee isn't waived the first year
also wait they may push a better offer
last year I got 40 MQM 20K for signing up and 20k after spending 1000 $$$ plus I also got a $200 delta voucher
Can anyone confirm this?

Also, any advantage to having the AMEX Platinum Card AND the Delta AMEX Platinum card?

-Rick
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Silver isn't worth anything, but if you plan to stick with Delta and fly a lot it will be worth it to assist you in getting to higher levels plus the associated bennies.
I wouldn't say Silver is worthless. I spent the last six months of (fairly heavy) travel at Silver and here are the benefits that I used a lot:
  • Higher priority reservation phone number
  • Occasional upgrades. I averaged about 25%. Depending on your flying patterns you could do much, much better (i.e. if you fly on Saturday afternoon a lot).
  • 25% Bonus Mileage
  • SkyPriority check-in at some locations (ex: PHL)

You also get free checked baggage, but that doesn't matter here since you (presumably) get the same benie from the card.

The question is whether all of this is worth $150. I would tend to think so...

(I still don't like these offers, but I had to chime in regarding the assertion that Silver was worthless...)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:26 pm
JBa

Programs: some
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Hooray... more people coming into the overcrowded clubs!!!

(... in addition to the elite ranks inflation)
Nowadays it's less crowded in the terminals than the SCs. I'm staying out of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.