Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade with miles @ Delta - procedure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Upgrade with miles @ Delta - procedure

What is the procedure for purchasing a ticket and upgrade it to F with miles at Delta?

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This is a good start.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ards/index.jsp

The cautious will confirm upgrade availability (easy enough by phone) before buying an upgrade-eligible fare rather than the cheapest fare.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

I am aware of the requirements but I need to understand the procedure.

Last time I did this was with NWA and it was done online.

I think the plan is to book the ticket in DL.COM and then call the DM desk to apply the UG request. I imagine this is something that it is not done online, can it? The flight is for OCTOBER.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by PepeBorja
Thanks.

I am aware of the requirements but I need to understand the procedure.

Last time I did this was with NWA and it was done online.

I think the plan is to book the ticket in DL.COM and then call the DM desk to apply the UG request. I imagine this is something that it is not done online, can it? The flight is for OCTOBER.
The DM desk, really?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
call delta and tell them you have a ticket you want to upgrade with miles. if space is available, they will promptly change your reservation to the upgrade class (G for first, Z for business). this is the easy and obvious part.

then, a couple of days before your trip, check to see if the miles have been pulled. they probably haven't. if in fact they haven't been pulled, call delta and tell them you have a ticket that you've upgraded, but it hasn't been reissued yet. tell them you'd like to be sure checkin goes smoothly, and ask them to queue it over for immediate reissue. (only do this once you're sure you're going to take the flight -- once they pull the miles, you'll have to go through some effort and, depending on your elite status, cost, if you need to cancel or change the trip...)

to verify that your ticket is correct, click the "Details" link under "Payment Details" at the bottom of your itinerary page on delta.com. if the class shows G or Z for the segments you've upgraded on the trip receipt screen that pops up, you're good to go.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
The DM desk, really?
???

There are plenty of DMs that have not done this -- since DL's IT does not allow it to be done online, it seems like a valid question.

OP -- my recommendation is to find the flights that you're interested in, then call the DM desk and have them check upgrade availability on those flights. If there is space available, have the agent book you in the necessary fare class, and then instantly apply the upgrade and re-ticket. I think that the re-ticketing part is important, but others may have additional comments on that.

Good luck!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

I know my question is dumb but I thought that's what the forum is for. Of course, its hard to tell that since I am no complaining about a delay, seeking compensation, claiming shenanigans over NRSAs, or wondering "dude, where is my upgrade?".

Perhaps"how to" posts are no longer valid. The rules shoudl be amended to state posts must have "flaming" elements in order to keep the fun factor up.

I will follow up with the desk and ensure that I do get a reissued ticket with the UG already granted after the 25K miles are taken out.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
One thing to note... if any of the segments don't have G/Z availability for the upgrade when you call, make sure they put you on the waitlist for the upgrade as well as keep your medallion upgrade requested.
If this happens, it should show two lines for the segment... one for upgrade requested and another for waitlist into G/Z.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
When you call to do the upgrade, the agent will assure you that somewhere within a week of travel the miles will get pulled and the ticket will get reissued.

Ignore this reassurance, because in my experience it happens well under 50% of the time.

Always check a couple of days before the trip and make sure that the miles got pulled, and if they didn't, call and have them force the reissue. I have had to do this repeatedly, and often the process takes a solid 15-20 minutes (inexplicably).
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
When you call to do the upgrade, the agent will assure you that somewhere within a week of travel the miles will get pulled and the ticket will get reissued.

Ignore this reassurance, because in my experience it happens well under 50% of the time.

Always check a couple of days before the trip and make sure that the miles got pulled, and if they didn't, call and have them force the reissue. I have had to do this repeatedly, and often the process takes a solid 15-20 minutes (inexplicably).
Why would you call to have them take the miles?

I have had a few occasions where I used miles for upgrades and the miles were never withdrawn from my account, I would surely never call and say "Hey you forgot to take my miles, please take them."
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mlad1101
Why would you call to have them take the miles?

I have had a few occasions where I used miles for upgrades and the miles were never withdrawn from my account, I would surely never call and say "Hey you forgot to take my miles, please take them."
Because generally if your miles are not taken from your account, your upgrade never processed either/your reservation was never re-ticketed in the new cabin.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I went ahead and called the DM desk and explained the situation. She walked through the itinerary and told me inventory was available. She said $503 + 25K miles would be needed.

I told her go ahead and my reservation shows 2 legs in G class and 2 legs in Z class. She even assigned my seats next to my companion on an FC award ticket I got the week before.

My account shows no miles taken at this time but my reservation clearly shows me in front with FC seats assigned.

Am I good to go? Reasons for concern?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Your PNR reflects the upgrades, but the ticket still needs to be reissued. Once that happens you will be good. Side note... $503 + 25k? Where are you going that requires $503?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Your PNR reflects the upgrades, but the ticket still needs to be reissued. Once that happens you will be good. Side note... $503 + 25k? Where are you going that requires $503?
Thanks

Do I need to call the DM desk again to get the reissue? If so when? Now or before Oct 1 departure? Will it happen automatically? If so when?

Going PHL-SAN. Had to book on Q and that was higher than the LUT fares available. About $100 or so. No big deal, the route is worth 5100 MQMs and Lord knows I need them to maintain my "fake DM" status. Its a vacation/convention/MR combo and the 1 cent per MQM is worth it. The net cost in SkyPancholars will be about 14K after I get back about 11K back from the flown trip.

I miss NWA's way of doing this thing. We could do it on line. Delta needs to UG their system to let us burn miles for UGs easily.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
No, you don't need to do anything yet. If it gets to mid-September and it hasn't happened yet, I'd do it then. No rush since you're not using expiring SWUs, but you do need to make sure it is reissued or you may have issues on the day of travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.