Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

oversold flight, compensation for switch to nonstop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

oversold flight, compensation for switch to nonstop?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:13 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Incorrect, I've probably done this dozens of times.

Original routing credit is given for day-of-travel disruptions, which includes bumps.
Have you had better luck asking for credit online, or by phone? If online, which selections do you make to get to the best department to handle this? Recently I took a VDB from SFO/ATL (over by 22) /PIT to SFO/MSP/PIT which is 350 MQM's less. I'd LUV to get the credit!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
vijayp - So What happened on your flights?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by davetravels
Have you had better luck asking for credit online, or by phone? If online, which selections do you make to get to the best department to handle this? Recently I took a VDB from SFO/ATL (over by 22) /PIT to SFO/MSP/PIT which is 350 MQM's less. I'd LUV to get the credit!
My tips are:
1) Save original BP's or at the minimum write down the Ticket Number from the BP or the Ticket Receipt (it's included in the confirmation email when you buy the ticket also)
2) Wait 48 hours for the credit to apply for your new flights
3) Go to the DL website and find the link for missing mileage credit. Enter in your skymiles number and the ticket number and click submit. You should see the segments that you were supposed to fly but that didn't show mileage credit yet (because you VBD'd to another flight)
4) Click submit to request the mileage
5) In 24-48 hours you should have the mileage for those original flights (plus applicable medallion bonuses)

It's easy, quick, and painless!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:23 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
My tips are:
1) Save original BP's or at the minimum write down the Ticket Number from the BP or the Ticket Receipt (it's included in the confirmation email when you buy the ticket also)
3) Go to the DL website and find the link for missing mileage credit. Enter in your skymiles number and the ticket number and click submit. You should see the segments that you were supposed to fly but that didn't show mileage credit yet (because you VBD'd to another flight)
5) In 24-48 hours you should have the mileage for those original flights (plus applicable medallion bonuses)

Wow! I've never seen that function before! I did it - it was painless - we'll see what happens! Thanx! I'll update as to the result!

As far as the BP's go, I'm pretty sure the GA kept the original ones.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/1k
Originally Posted by JayRich
vijayp - So What happened on your flights?
The SLC-LAX flight was oversold, though only by a couple of seats. Luckily the SLC-EWR flight was late due to ATC issues, so I was able to wait until they were sure the LAX flight was oversold. I only got $200 however, because the nonstop got me in earlier than the connection would have. I wonder if I could have held out for more, but I didn't really want to get stuck in SLC, so I took it and ran.

I got upgraded on the SLC-EWR flight too, so that worked out quite well. Thanks for the pointers!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:53 am
Original Poster

My tips are:

I tried using my original ticket number, as well as the ticket number on my rerouted flight, but my original segments don't show up. The woman at the gate had to call someone to modify the ticket, so I'm not sure if they just deleted the old segments off of the ticket. Should I try calling them? When I use the ticket number on my final BP, it showed the segment I VDB'd onto, but when I used the old ticket number, it only showed the first leg
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
You may have been able to hold out for more, but if you get to greedy they may find someone else. I've had a gate agent tell me she always starts at $400 just because it's easier, but getting home earlier, $200, in first and the probablility to still get those MQMs. You were successful.

To get the ORC in the past, I have called and emailed, I personally think email is easier.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
All depends on the GA. On an oversold RJ, the wife and I got $400 each for a new routing that arrived 25 minutes later. We were the only volunteers and volunteered right before the GA had to IDB two passengers. (We had been at the SkyClub, didn't realize they needed volunteers.) The GA offered $400 right off the bat since she really needed volunteers. Other GA's can be more conservative. On one flight the GA tried to get passengers on board with a connection to take a non-stop for no compensation, but they had checked luggage. I asked for $400 for a delay of one hour and a change of arrival airports (LGA to JFK), but he said $200 was all he could do. Sure, I probably could have held out for more, but there were other takers at $200 (he needed three), so I took it rather than chance losing out.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Regarding ORC with VDB, in my experience they usually cancel the old segments, meaning they won't show up online.

Generally, I send a message with subject "Original Routing Credit: Attn: Medallion Desk". I think once I called in. Haven't had any issues with the web, but when I called they managed to mess it up twice (once negatively and once in my favor). When they reposted the third time, it was still in my favor, but seeing as I'd already called them twice, I decided I'd given it my best shot and dropped it.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
All good points and anything can happen with regard to cancelling unused segments, but I've never had that happen in a VDB situation.

This has been what has happened to me each time:
Original ticket IAH-SLC-SEA-MSP-IAH for example ticket # 006 1234567890
My outbound goes as planned, so IAH-SLC and SLC-SEA are shown as "FLWN"
I VDB on my return flight, so GA rebooks me SEA-ATL-IAH for example as NEW ticket # 006 2222222222

I get credit for the segments I actually flew (SEA-ATL-IAH) within 24 or so hours.

I got to the DL site and ask for mileage credit for the ORIGINAL ticket # (006 1234567890) and when I click through it shows me that the IAH-SLC-SEA segments have already credited, but the SEA-MSP-IAH segments are blank. If I click through there, it usually gives me a message that DL is processing my request and generally 24-48 hours after that (or less) the ORC is credited.

Maybe different GA's do it differently, but that has always been my experience.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:38 am
Original Poster

All good points and anything can happen with regard to cancelling unused segments, but I've never had that happen in a VDB situation.

This has been what has happened to me each time:
Original ticket IAH-SLC-SEA-MSP-IAH for example ticket # 006 1234567890
My outbound goes as planned, so IAH-SLC and SLC-SEA are shown as "FLWN"
I VDB on my return flight, so GA rebooks me SEA-ATL-IAH for example as NEW ticket # 006 2222222222

I get credit for the segments I actually flew (SEA-ATL-IAH) within 24 or so hours.

I got to the DL site and ask for mileage credit for the ORIGINAL ticket # (006 1234567890) and when I click through it shows me that the IAH-SLC-SEA segments have already credited, but the SEA-MSP-IAH segments are blank. If I click through there, it usually gives me a message that DL is processing my request and generally 24-48 hours after that (or less) the ORC is credited.

Maybe different GA's do it differently, but that has always been my experience.
I called in and the person on the phone said my other segments had been cancelled. She pulled them from the original receipt, however, and queued it for credit. She said it should get added within the week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.