Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

oversold flight, compensation for switch to nonstop?

Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/1k

I'm currently booked sjc-slc-lax-jfk (!) but the slc-lax leg looks to be oversold (showing 0 across the board). Will I get offered compensation if I switch to a SLC-EWR nonstop? (I'd rather fly to ewr than jfk)
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
Absolutely go for it, I did that one time, got $400, meal voucher, and First on non-stop. Also don't forget to ask for ORC to get that additional segment especially if you're a segment qualifier. They are usually very accomodating to alternate airports, just know your opinions so you can suggest to them.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/1k
Originally Posted by JayRich
Absolutely go for it, I did that one time, got $400, meal voucher, and First on non-stop. Also don't forget to ask for ORC to get that additional segment especially if you're a segment qualifier. They are usually very accomodating to alternate airports, just know your opinions so you can suggest to them.
my only concern is that there is only 15 minutes between the flights and it's the last flight out. hopefully this will work out!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Also don't forget to ask for ORC to get that additional segment especially if you're a segment qualifier.
You won't get it if you take a VDB. By doing so, you're accepting your new routing whether shorter or longer.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:42 pm

Then you need to be very proactive (may not be able to get the full $400), when you get to SLC ask the GA is flight oversold, then say, that you'd be willing to move to direct flight to Newark, in exchange for X but it leaves in X minutes. If he knows he's oversold, he may move you then or hopefully even protect you on the direct flight, till he figures out if he needs you. Hopefully you don't have any luggage, as that always makes things more complicated.

Good Luck, I love IDB, gotten 2 $400 ones this year.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by lsugolfer
You won't get it if you take a VDB. By doing so, you're accepting your new routing whether shorter or longer.
I've asked before and never been denied, although they do say "this is a one time excepton." It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Not my experience. I've always gotten ORC when asking after taking a more direct routing in a VDB situation.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:45 pm

Good Luck, I love IDB, gotten 2 $400 ones this year.
I'm on #3 and my outbound segment this Thursday appears to be oversold too...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vijayp
my only concern is that there is only 15 minutes between the flights and it's the last flight out. hopefully this will work out!
When you say "the flights" do you mean between the SLC-LAX and SLC-EWR departure times? If that's the case, its tougher, since SLC-EWR will be closing right around the time that the SLC-LAX TA will need to make the VDB call.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:47 pm

I've always gotten ORC when asking after taking a more direct routing in a VDB situation.
I was denied that earlier this year when I went from a BTR-MEM-LAX-SFO to a BTR-ATL-SFO routing.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by vijayp
All depends how proactive the GA wants to be as well as the misconnect situation (people miss flts at hubs all the time). Is why DB, whether V or I, not processed until flight closed. But, that won't work for you given the short time spread. More likely is that GA who needs the seat will offer you the change and even maybe the UG as IRROPS, but not the VDB unless you wait until after flight closes. Keep all options in your head becs. you will need to make immediate on-the-spot decision.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:58 pm

I was denied that earlier this year when I went from a BTR-MEM-LAX-SFO to a BTR-ATL-SFO routing.
I have found that asking the agent to put an OSI (remark) in the PNR when taking the VDB is key. When the ORC doesn't post within a week or so, I call in, ask the agent to review the PNR, and voila! credit is withdrawn for the as-flown routing and the ORC is added.

I was also impressed that the ORC correctly reflected my Medallion status as of the date of the flight vs. my status at the time I called when I moved between levels over that period.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Incorrect, I've probably done this dozens of times.

Original routing credit is given for day-of-travel disruptions, which includes bumps.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:14 pm

Incorrect, I've probably done this dozens of times.

Original routing credit is given for day-of-travel disruptions, which includes bumps.
Well crap, I guess I got a poor phone agent. I was given the mileage difference (standard, not MQM's) as a "gesture of goodwill" but wouldn't get the segment credit.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
On Sunday, I was going EWR-ATL-IAH on the (5pm EWR-ATL flight). DL cancelled the 6:15, so it was a bonanza at the gate for the 5pm flight. I approached the GA, told her I would be willing to take the flight through MEM or wait until the next day if necessary. She actually oversold the JFK-IAH non-stop flight (at 830pm), gave me the $400 voucher, 2 meal vouchers, and a taxi voucher to get from EWR to JFK. She also thanked me profusely for being willing to help her out (this was before the arriving plane even got there).

This is now the third straight time in the past month I've VDB'd either at the ticket counter (CLE) or at the gate (ATL and EWR) before the arriving plane had even gotten there, nevermind boarded for the new flight. So much for the waiting till the flight closed. I'm not sure if it's a new trend, but it never hurts to be 1) courteous 2) knowledgeable (have alternates ready) and 3) flexible.

This is VDB SEASON, so take advantage of it! Oh, and I've always gotten ORC when I've gone in online and entered in the original ticket number.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.