Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lowest Delta Fare Class does not earn MQMs? Yes It Does, Says Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lowest Delta Fare Class does not earn MQMs? Yes It Does, Says Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mersk862
July 16 came up with E as a double-connect DCA-MSP-NRT-PVG.
Ok, checking that date I see it in there. While the Miles Earned/MQMs earned totals were shown to not earning in E at the review your itinerary stage, I'm thinking that this is just another Delta.com issue. Like I said before HQK have been saying 150% class of service bonus for quite some time now and Delta hasn't fixed that. I bet somewhere in the system this new revenue bucket is hard coded for the website as still being an award bucket. In the end we wont know until someone actually flies a ticket booked in E or someone from Delta comments...
Old May 15, 2011, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by dd992emo
I guess just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...if you don't like it, don't book it.
I don't think anyone is paranoid (this is not a secret) and I don't think anyone is freaking out but it is a significant change to the program and worthy of discussion.
Old May 15, 2011, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Personally I believe DL just hasn't updated their webpages yet to reflect 100% EQM/RDM earnings for E class.

Remember, DL is aligning their fare codes with AF/KL and only a few months ago added back in the lowest fare classes on the AF/KL side for EQM earning (they had been zero for a long time).

The reason the website is showing 0% EQM is because it is currently programmed to show E=0. My guess is that this will change shortly - as will the EQM earning chart on delta.com which shows "E" is an excluded class.

I have said all along (and avidflyer has agreed) that DL will almost definitely change EQM earnings for the lowest fare classes including LUT. I suspect that will change for next year but for now I think E will earn 100%.

BTW, anyone else notice that there are more EQM earnings changes on AF & KL beginning June 1, 2011?

-RM
Old May 15, 2011, 1:24 pm

Back in March, someone called into Delta about this and was told that E would earn MQMs: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post16089269
Old May 15, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Since this is really important to those of us required to buy the lowest fare by travel policy, it would be appreciated if a Delta rep could jump in on this threa and clear the air one way or another so we aren't left guessing...
Old May 15, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
Since this is really important to those of us required to buy the lowest fare by travel policy, it would be appreciated if a Delta rep could jump in on this threa and clear the air one way or another so we aren't left guessing...
I agree - but that is some wishful thinking...
Old May 15, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by BenA
+1. This is the point where a competent social media presence would either announce that E fares won't earn MQMs or say it's all a mistake. Whatever the outcome, the uncertainty is not engendering goodwill.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
............I have said all along (and avidflyer has agreed) that DL will almost definitely change EQM earnings for the lowest fare classes including LUT. I suspect that will change for next year ................. -RM
If they do, it is definitely goodbye! And probably the same with a lot of other MR's!
Old May 15, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Avidflyer has been spot on with other predictions. I believe he is correct. You will get no MQMs booking an E.

Now for those of you seeing the E fair what is the cost difference between it and T?
Old May 15, 2011, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tvnwz
Avidflyer has been spot on with other predictions. I believe he is correct. You will get no MQMs booking an E.

Now for those of you seeing the E fair what is the cost difference between it and T?
Have a look. Just book DCA-PVG 7/16/2011 and return 7/23/2011.

$1123 vs $1424.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:09 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tvnwz

On the DCA-PVG fares referenced above the E to T difference is about $300.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So I just called for the above itinerary and asked the DM desk if E earned miles and mQMs. The agent told me that E is not a bookable fare to which I walked her through how to book this non-bookable fare. When she saw it she said "Oh, this must be new and no you will not earn miles for this flight. She said she was going to look into it. I told her I was not going to buy unless it did and she told me that as far as she can tell it will not.

Here again Delta continues to roll things out and NOT communicate with the customer base or its own employees.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Have you actually seen any of these fares in the wild? I can't find any via ExpertFlyer.

Personally, I don't particularly care, I just want to know to be on the lookout.
Found several of them today while searching for a trip to Asia. They show up on routings to Tokyo (both NRT and HND) and PVG. About $200 to $250 cheaper RT than U/T fares.

And as others have noted -- if it is an error and E does earn then the notice on the Earn Miles with Delta page https://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_...elta/index.jsp should be changed.
And if it doesn't earn, then good sense would dictate a message somewhere to let customers know of the change. If there is a link to a message about Delta Private Jets on the home page, then this change impacts fare more people.

Last edited by mot29; May 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm
Old May 15, 2011, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
On the DCA-PVG fares referenced above the E to T difference is about $300.
Per ITA, the T fare is still $400 or so cheaper than the fare on any other airline. For a CO Plat, choosing CO (pretty much the next cheapest) over the DL fare, would mean paying more than 2 cents per mile for the earnings.

If E fares are restricted to ultra-cheap promotional fares, such as this, then I'm fine with no earnings. I'm not going to rake DL over the coals because they are beating the competition on price by several hundred dollars, if the price is no mileage earning. If we start to see a pattern where DL is offering E fares, consistently, at prices where other carriers offer earning fares, then we can worry. Until then, this is a concern only for the mileage runners.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
Losing Mqms for sLUT fares would certainly drive away a lot of people. I don't see how many business could justify paying more for a fare just to get MQM's. Seems pretty stupid to me for Delta to do it, they are now charging more for loyalty. I pay a little more at times as I'm sure a lot of you do to stay loyal, but sometimes the difference between an L fare and K can be almost double or more. Although I find it odd that they would do this given their willingness to through around bonus MQM's Amex 25k, which will put me to PM this year so I can't complain too much, all of the hilton and double/triple MQM offers over the past year and rollover suggests that they want to enlarge their elite base, as a possible way of driving revenue and making an occasional flyer who grabs a bunch of MQM's and keeps buying from them as a result

Last edited by patriots68; May 15, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.