Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flyers how do YOU get to the ATL airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

This may get moved, but..

I generally drive to ATL, but have a 2.5 week vacation coming up and only have five free days at Park N Fly

Thinking about a shuttle/limo service to avoid the Marta mess. (fewer trains, limited to no security etc...) But don't know who is reliable in ATL (and not outrageous, I checked one limo service that wanted $250 round trip. Umm.. I can park for that!) I live up near Dunwoody.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter

I generally drive to ATL, but have a 2.5 week vacation coming up and only have five free days at Park N Fly

Thinking about a shuttle/limo service to avoid the Marta mess. (fewer trains, limited to no security etc...) But don't know who is reliable in ATL (and not outrageous, I checked one limo service that wanted $250 round trip. Umm.. I can park for that!) I live up near Dunwoody.
Never done it in ATL but in LA I will always look for "Park and Fly" deals at airport hotels. Last year I scored a 1 night + 14 nights parking" at the LAX Embassy Suites. The night cost me $159.00 and I was able to avoid an always brutal and questionable commute from Calabasas to LAX as well as 2 full weeks of parking.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold

I used to live in Alpharetta, and OW limo service was $90. Very friendly guy, still have his card in case I need to go back!
Old May 1, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else

I know MARTA isn't great, but I pretty much always used it to get to ATL unless I had a friend who could do pick up or drop off for me. (This was most important for flights arriving outside of MARTA's schedule or if I had a lot of bags.) I planned to take a cab to Chamblee and the train from there one time last summer and the cab company was severely delayed (claimed they tried calling to confirm, but I didn't get any calls), so I wound up taking the cab all the way to ATL. Cost me $60 from Dunwoody. (I lived on N Peachtree Rd just OTP.)
Old May 1, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
I usually take a Delta 757 in from MCO, TPA or JAX, depending on best fare and scheduling. Used to use the RJs from GNV but they got way too expensive.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Continental (Gold)
I live in East Atlanta and generally drive to the airport, parking at Pre Flight Parking off Camp Springs. They have a 30% off coupon available on their website. I usually park in covered; however, I would expect a 7-day rate with coupon in uncovered to run close to $6/day. I have tried a lot of the parking areas at ATL and Pre Flight is by far my favorite. The parking spots are a bit bigger and more level than most. Shuttle service is good as well. Only considering cost, FastTrack is one of the cheapest.

Although I live close to MARTA, getting to and from there at odd hours with luggage is a challenge. I have yet to find a cab company or shuttle service that is reliable on pickup from my home. One option is to try and get someone to take you to the airport. Once you return to ATL, it is easy to find some sort of transportation to get you home, most likely < $60 for anywhere in metro Atlanta. You can definitely negotiate with the shuttle drivers. For longer personal trips, I sometimes go this route.

Enjoy the trip!
Old May 1, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I usually take smarta. But I live in Midtown, walking distance to a station.

I've heard that Clark Howard drives to College Park, parks in the free (still?) marta lot at College Park, and rides marta one stop to Airport.

When I have to leave really early, I book with Buckhead Safety Cab. They've been good about pickups at early hours.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
By car .
Takes about 45 minutes from the house in Marietta.

If I'm going to NYC (LGA/JFK) for the day then I'll park in the general short-term ATL Airport lot--I have a method on how to get the best spaces in the front .

If I'm doing anything long-term, than I'll just go wherever's cheapest--usually the Parking Spot/Parking Spot 2.

DL757ATL
Old May 1, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I'm with ssm949 on avoiding MARTA. One train glitch, one late flight or one animal on the track and you're stuck in a nightmare. I've tried to be environmentally friendly and take public transportation, but it turns out not to be SMARTA.

Facing the same dilemma - about to go on a 2.5 week vacation and don't want to pay $264 for parking - I'm getting a ride to the airport and taking a cab home. Granted, my East Atlanta home is much closer than Dunwoody.

My friends who live in the part of Sandy Springs near you take a shuttle from their home to the airport when they travel. If you are interested, PM me and I can forward the shuttle driver's number. They've used the same guy for years and he is dependable.

BTW, I park in Daily because I don't like having to get in a shuttle bus to get to my car. My secret to always getting a space in the first two rows is to fly out on Sunday afternoon! I know many people invent their own spaces and then rationalize that the lack of striping doesn't mean it's not a space, it just means it's a space for the most selfish, uh, I mean clever. I can't wait until the day the parking people decide to tow those cars, as they block people from being able to safely navigate the parking garage on foot or in car.

Last edited by CJKatl; May 1, 2011 at 1:09 pm
Old May 1, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: DM, KM,
I always use Carey Limousine when I have an extended trip, about $70 one way from Sandy Springs (tip included).
Old May 1, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Generally strong-armed by DL to fly SFO-ATL every now and then... Otherwise I avoid it like the plague.
Old May 1, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I usually take smarta. But I live in Midtown, walking distance to a station.

I've heard that Clark Howard drives to College Park, parks in the free (still?) marta lot at College Park, and rides marta one stop to Airport.

When I have to leave really early, I book with Buckhead Safety Cab. They've been good about pickups at early hours.
Why am I not surprised ...I do this as well, as long as the departure if after 7AM (Southbound MARTA does not arrive at College Park until 5:30AMish.
Admittedly, I am not as bold as Mr. Howard to park in Daily (Free), with a trip duration of more than one day...with my luck, MARTA police will be noting tags. Long-term at College Park is $8/day.
Old May 1, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
HGI ATL Airport North on Bobby Brown Pkwy has free parking.... and a free shuttle.... ;-)

I'm kidding...
Old May 1, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
+1 Carey Limousine
Old May 1, 2011, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I used to have the card of this dude in a Lincoln who would pick me up and would have a couple cold beers in there for me. It was $60 and I tipped pretty good on top. Cabs were not much cheaper.

When I was in College, I would drive to the Va Ave Holiday Inn... Park in back... slip on a coat and tie and get a free ride.... seriously... I tipped him and the parking lot was always wide open as it was a Delta hangout...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.