Wiki Posts
Search

PHL SkyClub Opens 4/3/2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
PHL SkyClub Opens 4/3/2011

I am in the new PHL club, 4th person to enter the new digs I was told as the staff readies the place. Looks nice, smells new, little small for other SCs I have seen, but looks fine. Was given the "talk" on alcohol. First drink is free, N+1 cost $1 due to PA laws. Self-serve bar.

Kind of modern looking but I think with 50 people it will feel tight.

Nice to have a place to go wait out delays.

Way to go Delta.

Got to go to catch the 8:20 to MSP.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by PepeBorja
I am in the new PHL club, 4th person to enter the new digs I was told as the staff readies the place. Looks nice, smells new, little small for other SCs I have seen, but looks fine. Was given the "talk" on alcohol. First drink is free, N+1 cost $1 due to PA laws. Self-serve bar.

Way to go Delta.

How do the expect to enforce this with self-serve bar? This is going to be a PITA for the good staff there. I don't envy their task.

And, IIRC, it's not PA law, its Phila city law. Was not a problem in the A concourse (which is in the county, not the city).

Do you suppose they will add a fine print footnote to this from the DL web site:
Perks & Amenities

Little touches can help you feel at home, even when you’re far from it. Like delicious snacks that are always ready, and complimentary premium cocktails. As a member of the award-winning Delta Sky Club™, you’ll enjoy benefits and amenities designed to make your time at the airport more enjoyable, more productive and, most importantly, more comfortable.
(Premium???)

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Apr 3, 2011 at 8:43 am
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Photos please!

Looking forward to visiting it in June.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:03 am

Where exactly is the SkyClub located?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does it compare in size to the "old" A concourse club?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by BizJet
Where exactly is the SkyClub located?
Just before you exit the D concourse secured area going toward baggage, there is a small hallway on the left just past the Earl of Sandwich. It is about 50' down on the right, past a construction partition. Stated another way, when going toward D from security, just go straight ahead instead of turning down D.

PS Going to miss StayingHomeIsBetter's postings re this.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Just before you exit the D concourse secured area going toward baggage, there is a small hallway on the left just past the Earl of Sandwich. It is about 50' down on the right, past a construction partition. Stated another way, when going toward D from security, just go straight ahead instead of turning down D.

to your last point.

As to the location of the entrance, it is so obscure that this may help stem, or at least postpone, the overcrowding potential.

I know that, at one time, the staff were expecting a larger, nicer club than what they had in A.

I hope, for their sake, that they have not been disappointed.

The trial and tribulations that they have put up with over the last 14.5 months far exceed what we have had to put up with.

I am looking forward to greeting them in their new club. I have been told that all of the former staff will be returning.

Best SkyClub staff in the system!^^^
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by KenfromDE

They have a new sign just to the right of the Earl of Sandwich. It says something to the effect of "welcome to the new philadelphia sky club". With the Xpress Spa construction the entrance gets a little lost but that will work itself out over time.

Looking forward to visiting in the morning.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Silver, AVIS First

Way to go Delta.

Great news, I fly out of PHL Thursday and will show up early just to check it out. Curious about how the "$1 for every drink past the first" works with a self serve bar? How do they even keep track of how many you've had if it's self serve?

Oh wait, it's Philadelphia. It's not meant to make any kind of sense.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:30 pm

My advice; make that first drink a BIG one!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I will be there in the AM monday as well (assuming traffic to the airport isn't more horrendous than usual). Will try to get some pics if no one else does
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Ok, what's the BS about having to pay for ABs???? We never had to pay for ABs in the E terminal CRC! We never had to pay for ABs in the A terminal CRC/SkyClub? What's the deal that they're now charging for ABs in the D SkyClub? And why have they ditched the bartenders? That's just tacky.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:07 am

Very nice club. I m the only one here right now. Very well lighted and still has that new sky club smell. Other than a coffee machine problem and a lack of electrical outlets and still far from the gates it will be a very nice respite from the Philly crowd.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:04 am
Suspended

Good News in Philly

Way to go Delta.

Very good news. Thanks. Now I can return to Philly. I avoided it like the pleague because of no SkyClub.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
I was in a hurry and unable to elaborate on my initial impression posted when I started the thread.

I arrived shortly after they opened up the place at 7:05 AM. The staff was happy to be there and enthused about their new club. The location is a little out of the way, by a hallway next to the “Earl of Sandwich” shop. Most SCs have prominent entries, but this one is a little hidden by its location..

The place is bright and open with separate seating areas. One section appears to be the “road warrior” section with 10 or so large chairs and electric outlets on each station, along with several PCs along the wall for those that do not wish to unpack.

The main area is next to the bar section with seating for maybe 25 people. Two more little areas can hold 12 people or so. The sign says 150 people max but the size of the furniture and all the carry on stuff will encroach on that. I figured 50 people will make the place look packed.

The club is bigger/better than the old “A” club and there is no need to with for service as you can help yourself. The honor system requires you to drop of a $1 per drink on the front desk after the first one. No worse than the usual tip provided at clubs with bartenders, provided that you believe on giving a $1 tip to the server.

In all, the club is a nice place to go wait for a flight or when delays occur and you wish to seek a place to work or have a drink.

The club’s main drawback is that it is located as far away from the gates as you can get. Going back to the club to wait for a delayed flight may not pay off given the distance. Not exactly primo location but it beats the alternative.

In all, I give it a ^. Another reason to fly Delta.:-:

PICS posetd ny NATAS43 member can be seen here

http://img23.imageshack.us/g/img1592dt.jpg/

Last edited by PepeBorja; Apr 4, 2011 at 9:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.