Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Really, only one piece of luggage from Japan to U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Mrs. EX using her next to last NW bizperks ticket for NRT-LAX flight. At the time of booking she was Gold, of course after Feb this year, she is just a General Member. Is it correct that DL only allows for one piece of luggage free of charge on this trip? She was told that by DL in Japan.
Appreciate your response.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:16 pm

According to the baggage page, she'd be able to take two pieces.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
According to the baggage page, she'd be able to take two pieces.
Exactly what I thought according to the DL baggage page "For all other international flights:
You may check up to two bags that meet our size & weight restrictions at no extra charge when traveling internationally to or from most destinations outside of the U.S., Canada, and Europe."
Why would DL Japan tell her only one piece is acceptable free of charge?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Mrs. EX using her next to last NW bizperks ticket for NRT-LAX flight. At the time of booking she was Gold, of course after Feb this year, she is just a General Member. Is it correct that DL only allows for one piece of luggage free of charge on this trip? She was told that by DL in Japan.
Appreciate your response.
It's really weird. I have always been able to check 2 bags in the time when I was not a medallion member.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
It's really weird. I have always been able to check 2 bags in the time when I was not a medallion member.
What's weird about that? That's the free allowance for all pax going between the US and Japan.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

We called DL back and the now confirmed that she indeed is entitled to two pieces of baggage at 23 kgs each. The old wisdom, if you are not happy with an answer, hang up and call again, proved to be true again.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Some NW DL flights/fare class out of NRT is one bag at 20kg.

I had issues whenever I have a few days NRT layover and is taking business supplies to MNL or BKK. When I check in at NRT for onward flight to MNL or BKK I would be denied the extra bag and weight allowance by the TA initially until I show her my full itinerary showing my flight from US or ask for a supervisor.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by tentseller
Some NW DL flights/fare class out of NRT is one bag at 20kg.

I had issues whenever I have a few days NRT layover and is taking business supplies to MNL or BKK. When I check in at NRT for onward flight to MNL or BKK I would be denied the extra bag and weight allowance by the TA initially until I show her my full itinerary showing my flight from US or ask for a supervisor.
IIRC, most of the Asian airlines' policies will switch you from piece system to weight system, if you break your journey from the USA like this with a stopover (as opposed to a connection). Even if intra-Asia segment is on the same PNR as the TPAC segment. Maybe that's not Delta's policy though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.