Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Why should a GA be able to see my email address or phone number or much of my other PII in the normal course of business? Only in extraordinary circumstances, should a GA be able to see such information.
People ask gate agents why they never got a text message about a flight change, or they ask to get a receipt emailed to them, or they want to update their SkyMiles account info. If gate agents couldn’t do these things, then we’d be complaining that no one at Delta is empowered to do anything, right? This kind of info isn’t just open on the main screen, but it can be pulled up if needed.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by apodo77
Is there some FAA rule specifically outlawing passengers from looking at the airlines monitors?
It might be in the same place that states the rule that FAs must confiscate the small water bottles in FC from the seat-back pockets(!) before takeoff .

FWIW, I've worked with several GAs who have invited me to look at their screen while assisting me, but it's never been prompted by me.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
People ask gate agents why they never got a text message about a flight change, or they ask to get a receipt emailed to them, or they want to update their SkyMiles account info. If gate agents couldn’t do these things, then we’d be complaining that no one at Delta is empowered to do anything, right? This kind of info isn’t just open on the main screen, but it can be pulled up if needed.
I would think that that such questions are more likely to be asked at the checkin desk - not at the gate.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Perhaps, but many people do OLCI (or now let the app check in for them automatically) and don't check a bag. Others have minimal, if any, contact with DL agents before the gate because they use the kiosk or do curbside check in for bags. DL seems to want to encourage these behaviors to reduce costs, so for example DL sometimes forces people to try the kiosk before they are permitted to see an agent, even if their details clearly require check in by an agent.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Skystreak

Really disappointing that the gate agents will lie to your face and steal from their best customers.

Not going to link the images. But here are the links if you want to check them out.
Originally Posted by jthomps
This exact same thing happened to me last week. I was 1 for 0. Boarded the aircraft. Noticed two empty seats when I boarded. Sat down. Checked the app again and there were two more people upgraded ahead of me.
I'm with MSPEconomist. Report, report, report. Use delta dot com complaint form, as I've found the best results there.

I was #1 and did not get the upgrade on no-show, and a relatively obvious nonrev did. Complained and I got an apology phone call and that the GA would be 'disciplined' (as well as 9K miles but what I wanted was the GA discipline part).

Imo, this needs to stop. Either modify the policy to say nonrevs get noshow seats, or enforce the upgrade hierarchy policies.

Petty, probably, but I've taken to taking screen shots of the upgrade and standby lists, to upload for proof.

Last edited by kitkat77; Oct 16, 2017 at 7:42 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I'm with MSPEconomist. Report, report, report. Use delta dot com complaint form, as I've found the best results there.

I was #1 and did not get the upgrade on no-show, and a relatively obvious nonrev did. Complained and I got an apology phone call and that the GA would be 'disciplined' (as well as 9K miles but what I wanted was the GA discipline part).

Imo, this needs to stop. Either modify the policy to say nonrevs get noshow seats, or enforce the upgrade hierarchy policies.

Petty, probably, but I've taken to taking screen shots of the upgrade and standby lists, to upload for proof.
Please don't give DL ideas about giving no show seats to nonrevs, especially now with the app doing automatic check ins.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please don't give DL ideas about giving no show seats to nonrevs, especially now with the app doing automatic check ins.
Haha! Fair enough.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I’m sure it’s nothing but sure does make one wonder and go hmmmm.

On 2004 ATL-PBI today and been #1 for 3 or 4 seats all day and last night since checking in.

Lo and behold get to the gate after my inbound and I am now 1 for 29 for 0 seats and 3 people upgraded that as of 2 hours ago weren’t on the upgrade list.

I last checked about an hour before the flight as we were on final approach.

Last edited by apodo77; Oct 17, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:52 pm

Could be SDC directly into FC or coach passengers without status accepting buy up offers to FC.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could be SDC directly into FC or coach passengers without status accepting buy up offers to FC.
I commute from PBI (through ATL) weekly and there has never been a buy up offer on checking in the 3 years I have been doing it.

Its the last flight of the day and the prior flight was at 8pm.
How could the SDC take place after the other last flight of the day left. As posted ckecked at 8:30 Eastern and was still 1 for 3.

All 3 who got F are shown as upgraded on the app.

Last edited by apodo77; Oct 16, 2017 at 8:03 pm
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by kitkat77

I was #1 and did not get the upgrade on no-show, and a relatively obvious nonrev did
How is everyone so sure that a non-rev. is taking their seats? I'm not challenging you, just curious as to how people are able to verify this is the case.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:07 pm

I commute from PBI (through ATL) weekly and there has never been a buy up offer on checking in the 3 years I have been doing it.

Its the last flight of the day and the prior flight was at 8pm.
How could the SDC take place after the other last flight of the day left. As posted ckecked at 8:30 Eastern and was still 1 for 3.

All 3 who got F are shown as upgraded on the app.
Maybe DL isn't showing you any buyup offers, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't some targeted toward kettles.

AFAIK you can SDC even after your old flight's scheduled departure time has passed, assuming that your ticket hasn't been cancelled as a no show. In fact, when IROPs has caused me to miss a connections, sometimes agents rebook me using SDC as that seems to be the easiest way if there's (fare class or FC as applicable) availability. It might be an elite privilege.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I’m sure it’s nothing but sure does make one wonder.

On 2004 ATL-PBI today and been #1 for 3 or 4 seats all day and last night since checking in.

Lo and behold get to the gate after my inbound and I am now 1 for 29 for 0 seats and 3 people upgraded that as of 2 hours ago weren’t on the upgrade list.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.
That could be 3 people who had purchased F seats but hadn't selected seats. They got a seat upon checking in, and when that happens, that shows up as them being on the standby list.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
That could be 3 people who had purchased F seats but hadn't selected seats. They got a seat upon checking in, and when that happens, that shows up as them being on the standby list.
Why would the app show 3 F available seats if they had been purchased?
Doesnt seem right to me but no expert. Also I checked and they were still selling 3 F seats as of about 2 hours prior to the flight. I do that on occasion to see if there really are seats left.

Last edited by apodo77; Oct 17, 2017 at 9:37 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:17 pm

IIRC if someone is confirmed and ticketed on the flight but hasn't checked in yet, the seat isn't considered to be available (although it will appear empty on the seat map if the passenger hasn't yet selected a seat before checking in). Otherwise looking at the upgrade list on the app when OLCI opens at T-24 (ignoring the complexities of connecting passengers) would always look like most/all of the seats in the FC cabin are "available", with the numbers declining as passengers check in. It doesn't seem to happen this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.