Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Most Entertaining FA Claim You Have Heard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

What has been your favorite made-up rule or explanation to come out of the mouth of an FA? Please entertain us by sharing...

I'll get thing started with not one, not two, but three claims made by FAs on this morning's ATL-IND run. All were made in F. Each caused muffled groans, but nobody dared challenge an FA...

Number 1: The FA opened a closed O/H and moved a small, wheels out bag sideways, explaining the bags don't fit wheels out on that side of the plane?????

Number 2: A passenger was told her laptop could not be in the seat-back in front of her because there is a new Federal Law, on account of batteries catching on fire when the computer is left in the seat-back pocket.

Number 3, and my favorite: Drinks had to be served in disposable cups and glasses due to a safety issue; it is unsafe for the FAs to take out the real cups and glasses on any flight that is under one hour. (Yes, she said this, rather casually and factually.)

The gentleman sitting next to me commented that, "You can always tell the PMNW flight attendants." Although I've found lunacy to be equally afflicting FAs from each pre-merger wing (and only with a very, very small number of FAs) my seatmate, when asked, indicated the FAs mentioned being MSP based and the plane we were on was a type DL never owned.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Not exactly a made up rule, but I think my favorite is the proverbial "Our scanners have detected that there are still cell phones powered on" type messages. Ran into varieties of this on a few occasions.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
On a jam-packed widebody, "Your FA call signals are for EMERGENCY use only"
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
OMG - Heard that one for the first time last week, on a SDC flight where I was in the middle seat, way towards the bag. By gosh, though, if people didn't start turning off their phones!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
my favorite line was "its illegal to join the mile high club" I wasn't planning to apply for membership but me and a female friend were standing by the potty on a red eye.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
The cell-phones still on announcement actually isn't a made up thing. When the FAA and numerous cellular communication companies were field-testing the effects of wireless RF radiation on the electronics of planes, there were many sensors deployed and after the FAA declared cellular phones transmittance unsafe, (Evidence not convincing) the scanners were distributed and/or left behind. There was an article on phonescoop.com about it
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
FAA laws require you leave the lav first and then cause a commotion so I can get out undetected....
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
"The cell phone detector is detecting that someone hasn't turned off their cell yet"... like Moebius01 said.

On an A330 in F shortly after merger: "You must hold onto your water bottles, you can not put them in the seat back pocket and you can not place them on the seat or between your legs". Shortly there after he went through the cabin and removed any water bottles from the seat pocket and repeated "you must hold onto this with your hands until the seat belt sign is off". There were more than a few puzzled looks on the faces of my cabin mates as we held onto our water bottles as if they were hand grenades.

"The lights will be dimmed for take off to enhance the appearance of the flight attendants".

And then is Catharine and her "roll of $100 bills" bit.

Last edited by bwhite; Mar 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
It's rare, but occasionally I encounter an FA so unfriendly that I think the most entertaining claim is "we know you have a choice in your travels and appreciate your flying with Delta."

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
If I had a dime for every time I got "FAA requires we get 8 hours of rest, so you need to go back to your room."
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Last flight I took, the FA made a hilarious faux pax by mispronouncing the word "MASK"

"Please secure your A$$ before assisting others"
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Heard this one yesterday: "You will be earning approximately 641 Sky Miles towards your Sky Miles."
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by N639DL
Heard this one yesterday: "You will be earning approximately 641 Sky Miles towards your Sky Miles."
On a flight from MCO - ATL, the FA made the announcement, "you will be earning approximately 400 SkyMiles for this trip." Didn't know the minimum threshold had dropped!!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
The cell-phones still on announcement actually isn't a made up thing. When the FAA and numerous cellular communication companies were field-testing the effects of wireless RF radiation on the electronics of planes, there were many sensors deployed and after the FAA declared cellular phones transmittance unsafe, (Evidence not convincing) the scanners were distributed and/or left behind. There was an article on phonescoop.com about it
For phones on AT&T or some other GSM carrier, all you need is a radio or even powered speakers. If I'm about to get a call, I can hear the buzz in my computer's speakers or car radio before the phone rings.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by CJKatl
the plane we were on was a type DL never owned.
Hopefully you informed him of how horrible of an indicator that is of cabin crews. There are tons of Arbii working out of SLC with PMDL FAs now and MD88s at MSP with PMNW FAs. On a 764 flight from LHR to MSP, I was visiting with the PMNW FA and she was pining for the A330s that had been yanked away from MSP. She said it was always her favorite aircraft to work on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.