Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2001, 10:17 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
If you dont mind losing 1/2 the value, you can get a diners club card and transfer the miles out of DL and then into any participating program.

TW
Old Jan 6, 2001, 11:39 am
GG

LexPassenger just got off the phone (800-421-4655) to United and has this to report:

UA will comp us Gold>Premier Exec, if we fax (605-341-6140 - attn: Diane) them a copy of Delta statements with our status. It's called the Go for Gold promotion. The CSA said it'll take about 2 weeks to process. OK, fine, but here's the kicker:

Not only are they happy to give us the status, they'll do it even if we are not going to make them our primary carrier - and they'll comp us again for any number of years as long as we have Gold status on another airline. 'Swhat the man said.

Now, perhaps the UA guy was giving us incorrect information (you get paranoid after a while dealing with Delta) but it sure sounds cool - and it makes Real business sense. It encourages us to fly them in a circumstance where we have a choice of carriers, and costs them practically nothing.
Is this Complexly Good Business, or what?

This means if we do decide to fly to Oz this year, we can do so as Premier Execs on UA. Bingo! UA has just sold 2 international tickets they wouldn't have, as we have usually flown Qantas to the South Pacific, and would probably have done so again except for this promotion.

Win-win. No-brainer. Way cool. What other cliches can you think of?

[This message has been edited by GG (edited 01-06-2001).]
Old Jan 6, 2001, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
There are such a limited number of these companion upgrades that I don't think it will likely affect things much.

And you're not likely to use the upgrades on business associates (this is done quite a bit on United).
Old Jan 6, 2001, 12:38 pm

Well it sounds good for us DL GM's, but it kind of suck for the UA premier who actually flys UA 25-49,000 miles a year and then comes in below us for an upgrade when we fly UA. I'm not convinced that this is good business, unless it doesn't piss off the real UA elites. Not that they could know they lost an upgrde to a DL GM who happens to read FT and got the comped status.

Anyway, thanks for the tip GG. I'm not sure I'll do it, although I did fly UA a couple times last year and if nothing else it would be nice to be able to use the elite check in line.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 1:11 pm
GG

Well, if I fly UA two or three times a year, there're not many UA PremExecs who have to worry about me grabbing their upgrade.

Seriously, we have been studying UA's program, but it's hard to imagine how the written rules work out in practice. I know we had to actually fly as Medallions before we started to really understand the Skymiles program.

I personally will not be counting on getting upgrades on just a few UA flights. But my PremExec friends like Economy Plus as an alternative. And we'd get lots o' miles making a trip to Australia. DL doesn't even have a Sk***am partner Down Under.

BTW, from what I've been told, you can't use the First Class check-in just because you're a Premier, but maybe you can as Premier Exec. But UA does allow all their Premiers to board with First Class.

[This message has been edited by GG (edited 01-06-2001).]
Old Jan 6, 2001, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Originally posted by GG:
BTW, from what I've been told, you can't use the First Class check-in just because you're a Premier, but maybe you can as Premier Exec. But UA does allow all their Premiers to board with First Class.
There's usually a separate 'Premier' check-in line in any UA hub airports. I believe 'Premier Executive' folks can use the First Class check-in, however. With the new UA boarding pass color scheme (Gold color for elites), you won't have to show your Premier card when boarding with the First Class herd.

Thx
Jamester
Old Jan 6, 2001, 5:54 pm

GG: This is a great piece of news. I was ready to bolt to NW, but if what UA told you is true, then UA here I come.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 6:09 pm
GG

I'll be very interested to hear if they tell you the same thing.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
UA does have a couple of downsides to upgrading (hehehe):

1) No double upgrades. Unless you buy a business class ticket, you cannot get into first on a three class aircraft unless you are "miracled" at the gate.

2) UA frequently puts its employees ahead of paying customers. It is not unusual to be turned down for an upgrade and then see a bunch on non-revs sitting in First and Business. Do a search on "Employee Class" in the United thread. You'll be shocked if you weren't already aware of this.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 7:13 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
From what I've read, other airlines (read UA & AA) are busy matching Delta's BE in their own Business products. I like BE. I really don't expect real FC (we pay for our own airfares, hint hint). Double upgrades would not be a problem.

# of flights, type of aircraft, level of service -- we're a lot more likely to pay attention to those things. I really like to use Bluegrass Field. But DAL so often wants to charge us $550 for the same destination that's $230 out of SDF -- for the same class of service -- that we've become used to the I-64/264 drive. Remember, there's TWO of us, we almost always fly together, that's a $640 difference per trip -- I'll drive an hour and a quarter each way for that.

And once we're at SDF, a lot more options open up.

I do note that UA has fewer FC seats on Airbus aircraft than DAL has on equivalent Boeings. As we say, a lot of trade-offs to balance. But if UA will comp us Premier Exec based on Delta status for multiple years, we're highly likely to try it.
Old Jan 7, 2001, 1:56 pm

GG and LexPassenger: I just spoke to a UA Mileage Plus rep who told me the same thing regarding the Go for the Gold Promotion. Like you, I don't know that much about UA's FF program and agree that you have to live with it for awhile to really undestand it and to compare it with other programs. I am faxing my DL statement today. If we have any DL flyers who have experience with UA, it would be nice to have a concise comparison of the relative strengths/weaknesses of the two programs.
Old Jan 7, 2001, 4:08 pm
GG

mhbaker, "a UA Mileage Plus rep ... told me the same thing" - that's reassuring!

I'm also happy to find out we can use the RCCs if we're flying on a UA ticket since we're CRC members.

Now all I have to do is wait for my 2001 Gold Medallion credentials to show up. I DID get my Hilton Hhonors gold credentials yesterday - made gold with them after I did with Delta. Oh well...
Old Jan 17, 2001, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought that this one should be brought to the front as well as it embodies quite a lot of what we're saying and what has been happening...
Old Jan 18, 2001, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Smart move defecting to USAir. I did the same request to comp Gold status back in December and was successful. I haven't flown them yet and already got 2 SWUs. They have won my business from Delta no doubt. We will soon have to see what happens in the UA merger twilight zone. Do you think UA would actually not honor the SWUs or not issue new ones to those who qualify this year? I have seen UA do some pretty nasty things for revenue.
Old Jan 19, 2001, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally posted by Tomphot:
I live in Atlanta so I have to stay with Delta. I just made PM so I should be good for next year.

I keep asking this question...Is there ANY airline that will comp Platinum Level that is convienient fron CVG or DAY?????????????

Even though I am PM,and have been from begining, "L" and "U" and whatever else is on the way will hurt me more and more. Delta owns CVG and, as I see it, owns me I now know how the slaves felt a hundred years ago.

Yes Mr. Leo Sir!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.