Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2000, 12:56 am

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
Quoted from above....

I too am looking for a carrier with a better route system (especially in Asia)than Delta's, but the upgrades you mention above are very weak compared to Delta's.

I must disagree with you on this one, and would ask you to support your statement. UA gives me 6 Systemwide upgrades valid on most any fare. Not just the B,Y,M fares that DL allows on their SWU. (and now only PM will get the SWU's!) Add to this the HK49's and 500 milers, and the customer care which UA gives. I would like to hear how you think DL is better.

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2000, 10:52 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
AA and NW both are reasonably strong at NYC. No problem getting to any of those destinations, either. Neither is as stingy with international upgrades as DL or CO. If you use CO, then you're going to (ugh!) EWR. I suppose UA would work, but why reward them for continuous poor performance followed up by a fare hike?

Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
Does anyone have any preferences if you fly out of NYC and travel to Florida, L.A. & Europe for the best upgrade program?

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Dec 28, 2000, 12:28 pm

Programs: US AIR Dividends
In response to switching from DL to which Frequent Flyer Program? In my humble opinion…

For people who fly 100K miles or more US AIRWAYS Chairman's Preferred is the best. UNLIMITED UPGRADES, NO COUPON REQUIRED, 7 day advance confirmed upgrade
(even on discount tickets), and complimentary companion upgrade. In my opinion, this is the best frequent flyer program in the industry for people who fly more than 100K. I hope that United will mirror US AIR's program rather than the other way around if the merger goes through.

Incidentally, UA 1K is poor compared to US AIR Chairman's Preferred status - or am I the only one who is missing something?
Old Dec 28, 2000, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
my question is when does one send the said material to another airline to get an equal elite status. DL is notorious for not sending the statements and medallion packages on time. What should be done in this case if waiting patiently is not an option?
Old Dec 28, 2000, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
you can print your online statement which will show your current medallion status and your mileage balance.
Old Dec 29, 2000, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Any program is no good if the airline doesn't fly to your destinations with non-stops or frequency.

In New York you'll do best with CO or UA/US.
Excellent opportunities for bonuses and upgrades. I'm not a fan of DL. I flew them a lot this year out of necessity. Even in F, the service is often terrible.

I fly therefore I am.
Old Jan 4, 2001, 9:17 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
A Sad Goodbye to Old Faithful Delta

Today was a sad day for me. This morning I instructed my TA to make my first international reservation on an airlines other then DL when Delta served the route I would be flying. In the past, if DL flew where I needed to go, and the ticket price was not more then 25% higher then the competitors price (or I could use a SWU), I flew on DL. Hard earned loyalty to DL in exchange for upgrades, part of my formula for selecting a primary carrier. January 4 is upon us and I have switched to WN & CO.

The original plan was to switch my domestic preferred carrier from DL to Southwest upon the news of the SWU demise, and change international preferred carrier April 1, after earning ability for the SWUs officially ended. The switch to WN was easy as I had qualified for DL PM in 2001, long ago. I did wind up on a DL flight a few weeks ago as the city pair worked better and DL was cheaper then WN. Southwest has been grand, it is better then DL in some ways and worse in others. So far it is working for me, and the staff is very friendly.

The International switch was made today, reservation made for next week, BWI to Milan and back on CO. The DL ticket was about 10% less then CO, as the reservation was made 3 weeks ago and from SAN, not BWI; the CO reservation was made today. I should hopefully have my CO matching / comped Elite Membership level up and running with a little luck by the time of the flight and maybe upgraded?

Am I doing the right thing? With DL will I miss: Over time stoppage, Moral at Delta falling fast, Air France not doing an adequate job of replacing Sabena, Swiss Air and Austrian in Europe, Ending of SWUs and no policy change to allow upgrades if seats are empty, ASA in Atlanta, U&L fares? I know all airlines have their problems, I just think it is time to move on and leave with good fond memories, before they are lost forever.

Looks like I will be moving over to the CO section of the board. I Will drop in once in a while and say hello and check up on things as I will still be on DL from time to time. Don't think that I am giving up the fight to be heard by DL!!! I will still do what I can to help DL understand they need to listen to their revenue stream. Should the miracle happen and DL sees the light, I will be glad to come back to the fold. If enough of us leave, DL may think twice.

Best of luck to all and Happy New Years!!!

[This message has been edited by JRF (edited 01-04-2001).]
Old Jan 4, 2001, 9:36 am

It is a shame Delta has driven you away, but after all, it's Simply Good Business, isn't it? Reconsider CO as you replacement airline. It's even harder (!) to upgrade internationally on CO. I'd suggest AA or NW.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Jan 4, 2001, 10:39 am

Location: Napa, California - DL demoted to xx, AF+ Rouge, FB Platinum
Programs: Air France, Delta
I can't see how Southwest can be better domestic other than from a price point. You better arrive early and fight for the seats. Are you ready for all the connecting flights?

How can CO be better international? You can't even upgrade? CO has fewer international flights than DL and also use AF as codeshare (but for how long?).

I wish you good luck. Please come back and tell us how your experinces has been.
Old Jan 4, 2001, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I'm saying goodbye (in a way) too, mainly because I'll fly a lot less in 2001 due to a job change.

The Skymiles program has changed for the worse. However, that does not mean other airlines' programs are better. Depending on where you travel and what kind of traveling you do, Delta still might be the best choice.

Southwest may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I do admit that do what they do very well. And they even make sense for business travel in the 500-mile range (when a non-stop is available).

Here are some random thoughts about which program might suit which flyers best (I'll concentrate on United and Delta, programs I know best).
  • If you travel a lot domestically on business on non-discount fares: Delta. You have a better chance of an upgrade, since L, U, and companions cannot upgrade.
  • If you travel 25K or more on mostly the cheapest discount fares: United. You get Economy Plus seating and a chance at an upgrade (although you will probably pay for it).
  • If you travel less than 25K: American or Southwest. American has more legroom than the others; Southwest is cheaper and roomier than Delta, United.
  • If you travel over 100K internationally (Europe) on Y,B or M fares. Delta. Best chance at an upgrade.
  • If you travel on discount international fares, and prefer Asia and Australia. United.

I think the Delta web site is the best.

For 100K flyers, it is a real perk to be able to upgrade at the time of booking on Delta; United flyers normally have to wait until 100 hours before the flight, unless they use special coupons. And the unlimited domestic upgrades are great, if you don't mind paying the higher fares.

United lets you upgrade companions and upgrade on cheap fares (I have upgrades on two $49 fares this weekend). Of course, the competition is greater.

If I were to continue my heavy flying this year, I would probably switch most business to United, mainly because of Delta's retreat from the west coast, and the end of the SWU's.

But since I flew 104K on Delta last year, I'll get 6 Platinum upgrades (even with no flying this year!), and I have 6 left over from 2000. I'm not sure I'll use any of them!
Old Jan 4, 2001, 11:32 pm
Original Member

I sure hope your trips on WN are short hops. To me, all those connecting flights and dashing to get a boarding pass get old. On the positive side, WN is usually on time or nearly so. I'll give them that.
Old Jan 5, 2001, 10:45 pm

How do I go about switching???

After 5 years of flying with Delta, GM for the past 4, I've finally had enough!! For a variety of reasons I've chosen to take my business elsewhere.
Has anyone had experience with transfering their mileage to another airline? Are other airlines amenable to these requests? Any recommendations for a particular airline? I fly between Fll and Lag.
Reading this bulletin board has certainly made me aware that the inconsiderations shown to FF is rampant.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Louis

[This message has been edited by Louis (edited 01-06-2001).]
Old Jan 5, 2001, 10:49 pm

opus is right. DL's website is purdy good. since I've been using US's site lately (I've done about 25k since november with them) I'd have to say that DL really did a much better job.

Once US and UA merge I'm gone. So sad... buh bye DL... and buh bye to all those cute FA's.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 9:26 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally posted by opus17:
[list][*] If you travel a lot domestically on business on non-discount fares: Delta. You have a better chance of an upgrade, since L, U, and companions cannot upgrade.
Somehow I think it will be more difficult for PM to upgrade with the new Platinum upgrade certificates.

I'll be the first to admit, I WON'T miss the SWU as I had no use for them. I don't travel internationally and I've always been platinum. What I did miss was the ability to upgrade my family when they traveled with me. What joy I felt when in looking at the new PM credentials was the verbage about 6 PMUC for use when someone is traveling with me.

Now instead of me in FC with all the other PMs, I'll be fighting for seats with their families/companions as well.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 10:11 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Louis.

I don't know of any airlines that will allow you to transfer mileage over. You can use Delta mileage for UA domestic free tix at the moment, though. You should be able to get UA to comp you to PremEx, NW to comp you to Gold, or AA to comp you (or let you challenge) for Platinum, which are all the other airlines' equivalent of GM. Search the other airlines' forums and you'll find the numbers/addresses of the appropriate status-match departments. Nothing like Simply Good Business, is there? Feel free to post any #'s/info that you locate; I'm sure there are others in this Forum who will be needing the info soon. Good luck!

------------------
Time..... is on my side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.