FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!
Old Jan 4, 2001, 2:56 pm
opus17
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I'm saying goodbye (in a way) too, mainly because I'll fly a lot less in 2001 due to a job change.

The Skymiles program has changed for the worse. However, that does not mean other airlines' programs are better. Depending on where you travel and what kind of traveling you do, Delta still might be the best choice.

Southwest may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I do admit that do what they do very well. And they even make sense for business travel in the 500-mile range (when a non-stop is available).

Here are some random thoughts about which program might suit which flyers best (I'll concentrate on United and Delta, programs I know best).
  • If you travel a lot domestically on business on non-discount fares: Delta. You have a better chance of an upgrade, since L, U, and companions cannot upgrade.
  • If you travel 25K or more on mostly the cheapest discount fares: United. You get Economy Plus seating and a chance at an upgrade (although you will probably pay for it).
  • If you travel less than 25K: American or Southwest. American has more legroom than the others; Southwest is cheaper and roomier than Delta, United.
  • If you travel over 100K internationally (Europe) on Y,B or M fares. Delta. Best chance at an upgrade.
  • If you travel on discount international fares, and prefer Asia and Australia. United.

I think the Delta web site is the best.

For 100K flyers, it is a real perk to be able to upgrade at the time of booking on Delta; United flyers normally have to wait until 100 hours before the flight, unless they use special coupons. And the unlimited domestic upgrades are great, if you don't mind paying the higher fares.

United lets you upgrade companions and upgrade on cheap fares (I have upgrades on two $49 fares this weekend). Of course, the competition is greater.

If I were to continue my heavy flying this year, I would probably switch most business to United, mainly because of Delta's retreat from the west coast, and the end of the SWU's.

But since I flew 104K on Delta last year, I'll get 6 Platinum upgrades (even with no flying this year!), and I have 6 left over from 2000. I'm not sure I'll use any of them!