Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL352 GCM-ATL (24 Feb) - Engine Blow Out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Club Platinum

(CNS): The runway at the Owen Roberts International Airport in George Town was closed for several hours on Thursday as a result of an aircraft losing an engine during the run up to take-off. Officials have not yet confirmed the details, however other sources report that a Delta flight bound for Atlanta this afternoon blew an engine as it began its take off and was forced to make an emergency stop before lift-off. It is understood that debris from the lost engine littered the runway which is why the airport had to closed to other aircraft for several hours. CNS has contacted the airports authority and is awaiting details on the incident.
http://www.caymannewsservice.com/hea...-closes-runway

Flightstats/Flightaware show this flight as being cancelled, so it would appear to be confirmed as the Delta flight.

Last edited by Franklybrit; Feb 25, 2011 at 6:36 am Reason: Incorrect info in original edit.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Franklybrit
http://www.caymannewsservice.com/hea...-closes-runway

Flightstats/Flightaware show this flight as being cancelled, so it would appear to be confirmed as the Delta flight.
Delta.dumb shows 352 as having been canceled for that date.... as usual no reason was given -- equipment was probably an MD 88.

If so, I wonder if it was one of the 'new' ones.

Bob H
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
What's with DL and engine problems?

This is three (that I am aware of) in just over 2 weeks:

2/9, engine fire as plane leaves gate, MSP, ferry flight, 757
2/20, engine comes apart on take-off, plane makes emergency landing, FLL, DL 1846, 737
2/24, engine comes apart on take-off, take-off aborted, GCM, DL352, MD80

I can compensate for poor customer service, but bad engines is a different matter entirely.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

2/20, engine comes apart on take-off, plane makes emergency landing, FLL, DL 1846, 737

I can compensate for poor customer service, but bad engines is a different matter entirely.
Also the 757 that made an emergency landing at Colorado Springs in Decemer(if I remember correctly). Not to mention the higher instances of MX delays across the fleet of RJ's. This appears to be a strung of bad luck, or the record profits are due to delayed maintenance.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USAF_Pride
Also the 757 that made an emergency landing at Colorado Springs in Decemer(if I remember correctly). Not to mention the higher instances of MX delays across the fleet of RJ's. This appears to be a strung of bad luck, or the record profits are due to delayed maintenance.
This article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...426512514.html

discusses three more engine failures in one weekend in late November, and provides background on ten other events over last summer.

It says DL took steps to respond to the problems evidenced during the summer, but more recent experience would seem to call into question whether or not they have done enough.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USAF_Pride
You are correct. DL 1291, a 757, made an emergency landing in COS on 12/30 due to engine problems.

So, that makes 7 in about 3 months.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM

I'd be more worried about engines coming apart on the MD-88. Not so worried about the 737.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_A...es_Flight_1288
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:27 pm

How much maintaince on the planes are done by DL techops and how much is outsourced to Asia? I'm making the assumption that D checks are done in China, Singapore or somewhere else in Asia. What about engine rebuilds?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by warreng24
I'd be more worried about engines coming apart on the MD-88. Not so worried about the 737.

Wow, that plane is still active at DL! As I type it's flying NAS-ATL. Creepy.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is that?

Because the engines are closer to the fuselage on the MD-88?

Or, more people between you and the engine on a 737 to absorb the shrapnel when it comes apart (assuming you are in an aisle seat)?

All of the above?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Why is that?

Because the engines are closer to the fuselage on the MD-88?

Or, more people between you and the engine on a 737 to absorb the shrapnel when it comes apart (assuming you are in an aisle seat)?

All of the above?
On the MD-88 aircraft, the aft-mounted engines are directly in line with the mid-section passenger cabin. Thus, an uncontained engine failure (ie a fan disc rupture) would result in shrapnel dispersal directly into the passenger cabin at torso-level. This is more apt to create a fatal situation.

On the 737 aircraft, the engines are mounted forward and below the wing and in line with the lower cargo compartment and the floor of the passenger cabin. Any dispersal of shrapnel would most likely be absorbed by not only the fuselage skin, but parts of the wing and the cabin floor. Any shrapnel that penetrates the passenger cabin, would do so at a lower elevation (ie affect the lower limbs and feet, vice the head and torso).

Note that newer aircraft with tail-mounted engines (ie ERJ, CRJ, MRJ, etc...) locate the aft baggage compartment directly in line with the engines. This is in contrast to older designs (ie DC-9, B727, F100, etc...).
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by motytrah
How much maintaince on the planes are done by DL techops and how much is outsourced to Asia? I'm making the assumption that D checks are done in China, Singapore or somewhere else in Asia. What about engine rebuilds?
I believe engine maintenance is done at TechOps, as well as C Checks. I think D checks (along with winglet and lie-flat seat installations) are done in Asia.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
You are correct. DL 1291, a 757, made an emergency landing in COS on 12/30 due to engine problems.

So, that makes 7 in about 3 months.
Well I can add one more to the list. ATL-TLV DL 152 on 13 December in flight engine shutdown following bleed air issue that they tried to fix prior to leaving. We returned to ATL after about an hour into flight. Dumping fuel from about DC all the way back to ATL.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the 737 aircraft, the engines are mounted forward and below the wing and in line with the lower cargo compartment and the floor of the passenger cabin. Any dispersal of shrapnel would most likely be absorbed by not only the fuselage skin, but parts of the wing and the cabin floor. ...
Where the fuel is, right?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:11 pm

Please share some facts which support your assertions that DL engines are "bad" and what specific steps by DL management you feel are inadequate, the reason you feel that way, and what you think they should do differently.

For starters, I'm assuming you must know the root cause of each and every one of the incidents that you referenced. I'll be the first to say I find your expertise very impressive, given that Delta probably hasn't even had a chance to take either engine apart yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.