Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW Snow and Delta???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

DTW Snow and Delta???

Just wondering how snow removal and De-icing is at DTW (Detroit)?

I'm flying out Monday the 21st at 8:50am and there is a ice storm heading in and set to hit Sunday and Sunday night now its just going to be light flurry's when I leave on Monday morrning..

Just wondering if I have anything really to worry about at DTW and the fact that its Delta and I know they Canceled flights in NYC a day before the storm even hit.. do I need to worry about this happening to me or would they even do something like this at DTW since its get snow all the time?

Last edited by Tric_101; Feb 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I would pay attention to your emails and/or your upcoming reservation page to see if your flight is switched or if they allow you to reschedule.

That said, unless it's an icestorm of historic proportions, DTW is prepared to handle winter weather and de-icing shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

I was just worried a bit that delta would Cancel the flight the day before and other air lines would still be flying out or does this happen at DTW? and do they used deicing for any airline or does delta have its own de-icing equipment at DTW?

This is my 1st time flying with Delta and I was all worried because someone told me that Delta is known for Canceling flight because of snow when other airlines will fly and I just wondered if this was true?

I'm flying into the Cancun airport on the 711 flight its a 737-800 on Monday the 21st at 8:50am

Last edited by Tric_101; Feb 17, 2011 at 11:19 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Tric_101
I was just worried a bit that delta would Cancel the flight the day before and other air lines would still be flying out or does this happen at DTW? and do they used deicing for any airline or does delta have its own de-icing equipment at DTW?

This is my 1st time flying with Delta and I was all worried because someone told me that Delta is known for Canceling flight because of snow when other airlines will fly and I just wondered if this was true?

I'm flying into the Cancun airport on the 711 flight its a 737-800 on Monday the 21st at 8:50am
They have their own, and they have a pretty efficient set up. I have never had a problem there. They're used to it.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I would pay attention to your emails and/or your upcoming reservation page to see if your flight is switched or if they allow you to reschedule.

That said, unless it's an icestorm of historic proportions, DTW is prepared to handle winter weather and de-icing shouldn't be a problem.
This. Unless it's the 17th snowmageddon of the year, DTW is one of the airports best equipped to handle a snow/ice storm. Plus if you're flying out on Monday and the ice storm is supposed to be Sunday... not a big chance of cancellation unless something happens on Sunday that affects the position of your aircraft in such a way that it can't get to you.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by javabytes
This. Unless it's the 17th snowmageddon of the year
Even then the airport did a decent job....it was DL that had problems getting planes/crews into DTW from elsewhere...I believe you can count on 1 hand the number of times DTW has closed over the past decade
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by socrates
Even then the airport did a decent job....it was DL that had problems getting planes/crews into DTW from elsewhere...I believe you can count on 1 hand the number of times DTW has closed over the past decade
+1000

One of the best, if not the best airports to handle snow in the nation. MSP is right up there too but runway limitations can cause issues there.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)

I'm flying out Monday the 21st at 8:50am and there is a ice storm heading in and set to hit Sunday and Sunday night now its just going to be light flurry's when I leave on Monday morrning..

Just wondering if I have anything really to worry about at DTW and the fact that its Delta and I know they Canceled flights in NYC a day before the storm even hit.. do I need to worry about this happening to me or would they even do something like this at DTW since its get snow all the time?
Welcome to FT

I wouldn't worry...

DTW has four north south runways and when there's a storm, they'll sometimes will shut down one of them to clear it, and use the others.

They also put the deicing trucks at the end of the runways and are able to take care of several planes at one time and you might experience a short delay (10 minutes ?) before taking off.

Right now the weather forecast calls for a winter's mix of sleet, freezing rain and snow and not even a winter weather watch.

Bob H
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, I will be flying into DTW twice on Monday and I am not worried in the least.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by BobH
Welcome to FT

They also put the deicing trucks at the end of the runways and are able to take care of several planes at one time and you might experience a short delay (10 minutes ?) before taking off.
I just want to add that 10 minutes is awfully generous. I have sat in the line waiting for de-icing for well over an hour on more then one occasion. But that has been during the chaos of a storm, which I would not expect next Monday.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:49 am
mdb

All said here is true. DTW is likely your best bet with a snow storm. ATL, JFK, among others, well, not so much.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I live in DTW and there currently is no talk / hype about an ice storm on Sunday/Monday. Sure they're calling for some variety of precipitation on Sunday and Sunday night, but it just sounds like some light mix of rain, sleet, and snow. Not calling for a big storm or more than the garden-variety winter precip.

Your flight will be fine.

Anytime they start having to cancel, they usually start with the regionals, canceling the RJs before they start slashing mainline, particularly to destinations like CUN.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BobH
Welcome to FT

I wouldn't worry...

DTW has four north south runways and when there's a storm, they'll sometimes will shut down one of them to clear it, and use the others.

Right now the weather forecast calls for a winter's mix of sleet, freezing rain and snow and not even a winter weather watch.

Bob H

Dont forget they actually have crosswind runways too (unlike ATL)..and are able to use 1 of them (in good weather) while using all 4 N/S to increase capacity (I love when they actually use the crosswind when you're coming in from the east...really cuts the landing pattern down and shaves big minutes from the flight)
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I have connected in DTW during light snow...from my experience it went fine. I hear de-icing can be a problem though (although the departing flight I was on did not get de-iced.)
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N639DL
I have connected in DTW during light snow...from my experience it went fine. I hear de-icing can be a problem though (although the departing flight I was on did not get de-iced.)
De-icing operations are not normally a problem. They have so many of them and they are positioned in a way that it is typically a half hour wait and that is it. As De-ice airports go I put them near the top of the US list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.